The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lifeshard
I'm as big a Liverpool fan as any but you can't proclaim we've done any better in holding onto our best players then they have. I think we've lost several of our best players and that's why we're in the position we are now, just like them. The only difference is the manner in which they've lost their players has been more spectacular and over the top, I mean losing their two best and key players in one summer is hard to take. I don't think we lost Alonso because we didn't seem good enough for him (that season we almost won the league), he went because he didn't think he was being treated as a key player with all the Barry rumours. Mashcerano and Torres are probably the most obvious players who left us as a direct result of our results, Torres just worked out well for us in the end.

And why point out ALL the players that have left them? You could do that with any club. It's irrelevant.

Both clubs have two really bad points about them, Liverpool have already been out of the champions league for a couple of seasons already so missing out on another season will clearly make prospective signings apprehensive and most aren't willing to give up time in their careers to join a ''project'' as AVB puts it. While Arsenal, just do the same exact thing every damn season. The fact that Cesc and Nasri ''escaped'' I think is the reason why they can't get superstar signings, those players will look at the departure of Cesc/Nasri and think damn, do I wanna sign up for that? And well Arsenals love affair with money.

I just don't agree with Arsenal fans that believe they are so much better than us just because their four points ahead of us in the league. That means absolutely nothing. Neither of us can feel ''above'' the other because we are basically in the exact same position, I think if we finish the season strongly and play to our capabilties we can do better than them but then they would say the same thing.

Pointing out that we've lost a small handful of our best players in our most difficult period in how long? Easily over 20 years, if not closer to like 50+

Compared to Arsenal who have lost a LOT of promising players, which if they were at Arsenal now, they'd probably be title challengers. And that's down to lack of ambition of the part of the club.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Adebayor - On the other hand, Spurs lose against United and Arsenal beat Liverpool. We are then 4 points behind them and could easily finish 3rd.

Toure - Not really, he was instrumental at Arsenal but hasn't really replicated his form for Arsenal. I agree with the Yaya point. Shall I mention his drugs' ban?

Nasri - I actually think United will win the title due to their experience.

Clichy - That's clearly clutching at straws. He isn't starting every game and I'm sure he'd want to be the first name on the teamsheet.

2008-9 - Liverpool finished 2nd
(Mascherano and Alonso leave in the summer)
2009-10 - Liverpol finished 8th (disastrous season)
2010-11 - Liverpool finished 6th (disastrous season)
2011-12 - Liverpool are currently 7th and could finish there.

From title challengers to finishing 8th. Clear decline there fella.

Hleb - A disastrous career move, who's he playing for now?

Spoiler

Henry - Had already hit his peak and was a fantastic servant for AFC. I think he went to Barca to win the CL and succeeding in doing so. Still loves the club and is an Arsenal legend with a statue outside the stadium. Let's not forget that he could replace Arsene as Manager.

Fabregas - May have stayed if he won a trophy but it's fine margins at the end of the day. Left for his hometown team who also happen to be the best team in the world. Special circumstances.

Flamini - He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Milan. But yeah, we should have kept hold of him.

Diarra - See above.

Vieira - It's not like he had the luxury of a choice choice between Arsenal and City. Arsenal didn't even offer him a coaching role which was a bad decision so it makes sense that he went to City. He'll be back in the future, along with Bergkamp, Pires and Henry. Coaching staff perhaps? I can see it happening.

We didn't finish 8th. Still was only four points off fourth.

Mascherano didn't leave in the summer of 09/10

At least get the facts all right.

And don't you think that says something about Arsenal, two best players leave in the summer and that results in a lack of champions league football which is still extremely likely for you guys. I mean yeah you had a great derby win but that doesn't erase all of Arsenals problems. You're just as capable of losing 2 0 at QPR or something. And certainly doesn't mean you'll finish 3rd, yeah sure Spurs may lose to United and things may look that way but surely enough they'll start to pull away again. You're also forgetting about Chelsea.

At least get the facts all right.

I wouldn't call 2010/11 a disastorous season. Roys part yes, the rest no.

Clichy/Nasri/Toure/Cesc are definitely happier where they are. Don't bother arguing about that. It's like me saying oh Torres must be so jealous of us winning the Carling Cup. Also the manner in which Nasri/Clichy and Cesc left (and then went on to play so well while Arsenal had 8 - 2) was probably the most detrimental thing for Arsenal. Clear for everyone to see. I remember just thinking, can it get any worse for Arsenal?

Not to intrude on your argument but just had to have me say!
Original post by Zerforax
Pointing out that we've lost a small handful of our best players in our most difficult period in how long? Easily over 20 years, if not closer to like 50+

Compared to Arsenal who have lost a LOT of promising players, which if they were at Arsenal now, they'd probably be title challengers. And that's down to lack of ambition of the part of the club.

I know what you mean but I remember when Torres left I just kept thinking, i'm not sad about him, the player, leaving because he's been out of it for a while now (but everyone gave him exscuses and said it was because he was playing in a poor Liverpool team) i'm sad that this must make Liverpool look so bad. It's like yeah one season we finish 7th and the very next we lose Fernando Torres, a kop hero. And then all those rumours around Pepe Reina and Gerrard in the summer. It was devastating and the worst timing. But in the end I thought the club made up for it by splashing out 35m on Carroll and 23 on Suarez to make sure we didn't look like a selling club, it also showed intent and ambition which is true, Arsenals board just don't seem to have. I'd be feeling really bleak about the future if we had their owners who only put their hands in their pockets after 8 - 2. I am confident in our owners I really am.
I know what you mean but I remember when Torres left I just kept thinking, i'm not sad about him, the player, leaving because he's been out of it for a while now (but everyone gave him exscuses and said it was because he was playing in a poor Liverpool team) i'm sad that this must make Liverpool look so bad. It's like yeah one season we finish 7th and the very next we lose Fernando Torres, a kop hero. And then all those rumours around Pepe Reina and Gerrard in the summer. It was devastating and the worst timing. But in the end I thought the club made up for it by splashing out 35m on Carroll and 23 on Suarez to make sure we didn't look like a selling club, it also showed intent and ambition which is true, Arsenals board just don't seem to have. I'd be feeling really bleak about the future if we had their owners who only put their hands in their pockets after 8 - 2. I am confident in our owners I really am.

And yet we managed to keep hold of Reina and Gerrard. I can't see any player who the club wants to keep, wanting to leave in the summer.
I'm not sure if you've noticed but I was only WUMing because Zerofax was. If he's going to point out the flaws of Arsenal, I'm obviously going to attempt to do the same regarding Liverpool, who have more flaws than Arsenal when you consider where you have finished in recent seasons. I would actually prefer both Liverpool and Arsenal to be in the top four, as I respect what LFC have done as a club and what you stand for. However, we don't live in a perfect world.
And yet we managed to keep hold of Reina and Gerrard. I can't see any player who the club wants to keep, wanting to leave in the summer.

That's because the only actual stars we have are Suarez, Gerrard and Reina. Maybe you could say Agger.

Gerrards not happening.

Reina I don't think has anywhere better to go. Anything else would be more of a sideways move then an upwards one, but I think if this was all the season amounted to. A Carling Cup win and 7th place, and a better option came forward he would gladly take it. We saw when times got hard he was willing to move to Arsenal, it was the owners that stopped it. But i'm not really worried about this because I don't think there's much calling for a seasoned goalkeeper right now. Plus Pepe would cost A LOT. Shouldn't his contract be ending soon? He's been here since 2006 or has he signed an extension along the way? I really don't know but I don't trust him ever since I read that extract in his autobiography.

Aggers made of glass.

And after all the club has done for Suarez and this being his only full season, I doubt he'd leave but I think if Barca/Madrid made a serious calling, he'd want it. He's 25 already. Club wouldn't sell though if we couldn't get an adequate replacement.

You never really know with these things though do you.
Hope you're right though!

I hope you realise that we spent £75m last summer. The departures may have acted as a smokescreen but it's still decent investment if you consider where we finished. It's just that Cesc and Nasri were huge losses, but if you look at the table we're still doing alright. Another comparison? You spent £100m and are 7th currently. I can see us signing at least four players this summer too and getting rid of dead weight. You make it seem as if LFC are in a better position than us, you really aren't. Take a look at our young players and van Persie.
That's because the only actual stars we have are Suarez, Gerrard and Reina. Maybe you could say Agger.

Gerrards not happening.

Reina I don't think has anywhere better to go. Anything else would be more of a sideways move then an upwards one, but I think if this was all the season amounted to. A Carling Cup win and 7th place, and a better option came forward he would gladly take it. We saw when times got hard he was willing to move to Arsenal, it was the owners that stopped it. But i'm not really worried about this because I don't think there's much calling for a seasoned goalkeeper right now. Plus Pepe would cost A LOT. Shouldn't his contract be ending soon? He's been here since 2006 or has he signed an extension along the way? I really don't know but I don't trust him ever since I read that extract in his autobiography.

Aggers made of glass.

And after all the club has done for Suarez and this being his only full season, I doubt he'd leave but I think if Barca/Madrid made a serious calling, he'd want it. He's 25 already. Club wouldn't sell though if we couldn't get an adequate replacement.

You never really know with these things though do you.
Hope you're right though!

Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Reina, Lucas, Gerrard, Suarez would do well at any club. Even the likes of Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi would be good for most clubs despite their age. Then we have promising youngsters on the books.

We have a decent squad. Just a case of adding more stars once we can attract them. We might have spent a lot of money but tbfh it was only an attempt to quickly fix the deficiencies the last owners left behind (5 or 6 transfer windows where we made no real investment into the squad).
I hope you realise that we spent £75m last summer. The departures may have acted as a smokescreen but it's still decent investment if you consider where we finished. It's just that Cesc and Nasri were huge losses, but if you look at the table we're still doing alright. Another comparison? You spent £100m and are 7th currently. I can see us signing at least four players this summer too and getting rid of dead weight. You make it seem as if LFC are in a better position than us, you really aren't. Take a look at our young players and van Persie.

Imagine the calibre of players you could have gotten had you spent it normally throughout the transfer window, instead of panic buying because of a horrific defeat at the hands of rivals. The only great buy was AOX. That wasn't a panic buy. And no the ''investment'' acts as a smokescreen for losing your best players, not the other way around.

I never said Liverpool were in a better position. I clearly stated that neither should act high and mighty over the other because we are in the SAME position. 100m, because we wouldn't have been able to attract top superstars anyway because of the lack of champions league football (a position you may also find yourselves in) so we quickly strengthened in areas we were lacking so that our squad wouldn't be so thin. We also got rid of so much dead wieght and the net spend was only around 35m. And we won't sign any players this summer? I think our owners have shown that they will back Kenny when neccessary, unlike your owners. We've already signed a great kit deal that'll bring in some much needed revenue for more transfer dealings etc!

Bit stupid to think we would have jumped straight back into the top four just because we spent 100m no questions asked. So many other variables and factors to think about. ManCity took a few years to get to where you are even with the wild spending!

edit: you're doing good in the table because liverpool and chelsea have been just as terrible as you, any other season and you'd be languishing midtable. Also van persie is incredible and is the only player seperating Liverpool and Arsenal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3249
2008-9 - Liverpool finished 2nd
(Mascherano and Alonso leave in the summer)
2009-10 - Liverpol finished 8th (disastrous season)
2010-11 - Liverpool finished 6th (disastrous season)
2011-12 - Liverpool are currently 7th and could finish there.

Mascherano left the season after
And we won't sign any players this summer? I think our owners have shown that they will back Kenny when neccessary, unlike your owners.

Agree, we will spend this summer.

Rumors

Pure speculation and the chances are small, but the idea does send chills down the spine. Imagine the possibilities. :zomg:
And we won't sign any players this summer? I think our owners have shown that they will back Kenny when neccessary, unlike your owners.

Agree, we will spend this summer.

Rumors

Pure speculation, but the idea does send chills down the spine. Imagine the possibilities. :zomg:
Not so keen on Keita though. Hazard said he would come to England in the summer apparently, it's not out of the question to think we will be one of the more likely clubs to get him.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think we'll easily invest at least 50mil net into the squad.

Who would you like to see?
(edited 12 years ago)

Depends on what sort of profits the club forecast they'll make this season - esp given FFP is coming into play.
Reply 3255
Original post by Kevmeister
Depends on what sort of profits the club forecast they'll make this season - esp given FFP is coming into play.

FFP won't really hinder transfers I think because the fees get spread out over a certain amount of years. It's main purpose is to stop clubs having wage bills which they can't afford. As long as their wage bill is below revenue it should be fine.

But if they are intending to spend at least £50m net, those type of players will command £100k a week+ wage. Which adds over £5m a year to the annual wage bill per player. There turnover last year was £173, so one more player earning £100k+ a week adds about 3% to the wage/turnover ratio (which is already above 60% I believe).

But I think Aurelio, Maxi and Aquilani could be off there books in the summer. Maybe even Kuyt.
Original post by So Instinct
Who would you like to see?

I've banged on about it a few times. I think we need a back up LB to Enrique (young with potential like Kelly), a playmaker who can dictate a game (hopefully like Martinez), an attacking winger for the right wing who can play as an inside forward (ala Hazard) and a striker who is a complete striker and can score goals (like Cavani).

I'm sure there are others who fit those roles than those I've listed, I'm just lazy and listed those in the ideal world but players with those kinds of abilities that these players have. Getting those 4 players would be more like 80-100mil :colondollar:

Original post by Kevmeister

I'm sure the club know how much they can spend and stay within the guidelines plenty of things get written off/discounted and I'm not going to pretend I know the rules. Tbh we're allowed to make certain losses for the first couple of years and we can add revenues of 20-40mil if we were to qualify for the champions league to offset the extra expense.

Original post by VQG
FFP won't really hinder transfers I think because the fees get spread out over a certain amount of years. It's main purpose is to stop clubs having wage bills which they can't afford. As long as their wage bill is below revenue it should be fine.

But if they are intending to spend at least £50m net, those type of players will command £100k a week+ wage. Which adds over £5m a year to the annual wage bill per player. There turnover last year was £173, so one more player earning £100k+ a week adds about 3% to the wage/turnover ratio (which is already above 60% I believe).

But I think Aurelio, Maxi and Aquilani could be off there books in the summer. Maybe even Kuyt.

Yep those 4 will be off the books, along with J.Cole. 3 at the club and the other 2 we still pay quite a bit of their wages currently. Think both on loan are doing well at their clubs so hopefully they will completely come off the books. That should reduce our wage bill significantly.

We'll be looking for youngsters with potential as the signings so I don't think they players will all be 100k+ wages players. I don't think any of the signings this summer will be on 100k+
Reply 3257
We have a young LB with potential. No point spending circa 10m on another when we have Robiunson and Johnson can play their okay as well.
Reply 3258
Parker England captain? Wtf is going on there. Gives Stevie further incentive to quit England.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pn94
Parker England captain? Wtf is going on there. Gives Stevie further incentive to quit England.

Well I don't think Gerrard will play more than 45 minutes tonight. I wouldn't want him to either having played 120 mins at the weekend and a game against Arsenal coming up.

But your right, I hope he retires after the Euros so we can get a couple more years out of him.

Latest