The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
First game in a while were I think we actually deserved a win.
Original post by Deshi
It's ridiculous really. When you have so many decisions going against you it's hard to not to blame the ref. He was ****ing atrocious.

That;s the most urgency we've shown in a match in ages but it;s still not good enough, every time we concede our heads drop and we play **** for ages. Kenny needs to sort that out. We should have been showing that much urgency as soon as we went one nil down.

Exactly, we show no fight whatseoever. If we had shown this urgency from the first minute we woulda won this game comfortabely.

But at the same time, any other team and they would have won comfortably anyway. We just can't finish to save our lives. It's extremely irritating that every goalkeeper has the game of their lives at Anfield. We're just so crap when in front of goal, it was annoying back in December when we draw Wigan and Blackburn in the same week but now it's actually infuriating. We need a better version of Kuyt and Carroll.

I don't know about Kenny still. I just don't see him getting sacked before the end of the season tbh.
Original post by lifeshard
Exactly, we show no fight whatseoever. If we had shown this urgency from the first minute we woulda won this game comfortabely.

But at the same time, any other team and they would have won comfortably anyway. We just can't finish to save our lives. It's extremely irritating that every goalkeeper has the game of their lives at Anfield. We're just so crap when in front of goal, it was annoying back in December when we draw Wigan and Blackburn in the same week but now it's actually infuriating. We need a better version of Kuyt and Carroll.

I don't know about Kenny still. I just don't see him getting sacked before the end of the season tbh.

Yeah, damn that unproven Villa keeper!
Reply 5983
another draw against another terrible team.

More positives in that performance than in recent weeks though, although I suppose that isn't hard!
Reply 5984

Can't recall Given making any amazing saves tbh?
Original post by Pn94
That upturn in performance at the end gives me slight hope. Maybe it's confidence that holds us back, we looked a completely different team.

I know. After we conceded, we looked this shaky at the back, gutless team with no quality whatsoever. We were getting overrun in midfield by Villa for godsake.

In the second half we looked our usual selves. Composed and assured at the back, good build up play but not enough quality in the final 3rd.
Reply 5986
Original post by Kevmeister
Yeah, damn that unproven Villa keeper!

Yes every keeper wants to prove a point against the 8th ranked team in the league with possibly the worst set of finishers in the league!
Reply 5987
Phew at least we didn't lose, but still can't see us winning vs Everton.

Jelavic is playing well for Everton and we were in for him? at least he can finish!

Well I think this slightly eased the pressure on Kenny's sacking, but not too much, still a month left, lots of games yet to decide his fate.
Original post by Deshi

One on Suarez header, one on Kuyt after Downings cross. There were more I just can't remember.
Reply 5989
Original post by Deshi

Gerrard's shot in the last 10mins or so is the only decent stop I can think of
Reply 5990
Original post by mr tim

Well I think this slightly eased the pressure on Kenny's sacking, but not too much, still a month left, lots of games yet to decide his fate.

Tbh if I were the owners I would've already made my mind up about his future and will just be leaving it until the end of the season
20 shots, 4 woodwork hits, 3 penalty shouts, 1 goal. Draw at Anfield.

Back to the same old story.

I love Kenny but I don't know if he's the man to help us out of this. The fact that I actually breathed a sigh of relief because we didn't lose to this terrible Villa side. We've lost our way big time.
Typical Liverpool performance that. Coast for 80 minutes then actually start attacking with some intent in the last 10 minutes only to realise its too late. I like to call it Liverpool syndrome, been going on since Rafa's days.

Also can't believe how many people on my facebook are complaining about Liverpool letting them down on accumulators...seriously guys?
Betting on Liverpool to win
ISHYGDDT
Reply 5993
Original post by Stirlo
Tbh if I were the owners I would've already made my mind up about his future and will just be leaving it until the end of the season

I would possibly see how our FA cup run goes, but if we keep on losing league games [apart from Chelsea, we should have some easy fixtures on paper, although some of the teams have been playing better] to determine Kenny's future. When you spend £100m+ you need those players to immediately play at their best. If the likes of Carroll, Hendo, Downing etc were less then I don't think they would get much stick by their old clubs + possibly media [I don't think Adam has got some stick as much...]
Reply 5994
I know. After we conceded, we looked this shaky at the back, gutless team with no quality whatsoever. We were getting overrun in midfield by Villa for godsake.

In the second half we looked our usual selves. Composed and assured at the back, good build up play but not enough quality in the final 3rd.

I still maintain it's a clinical striker & a ballplaying midfielder that we need + Lucas to come back into the side. And a right winger.

It's not all gloom & doom, poor result but that last half an hour reminded me of how we can play when we're motivated.

Still pretty confident for Everton next week.
(edited 12 years ago)
At least yous are not paying out win bonuses, lads.

Every cloud. ....
Original post by Pn94
I still maintain it's a clinical striker & a ballplaying midfielder that we need + Lucas to come back into the side. And a right winger.

It's not all gloom & doom, poor result but that last half an hour reminded me of how we can play when we're motivated.

Still pretty confident for Everton next week.

But are you really sure we'll buy the right players?

I feel like Kenny will go get Joe Allen and Darren Bent/Defoe and we'll just be crap for another season. We'll hear the same mantra ''you can't get champions league with championship players''. For me, I have no problem with the way Kenny sets up his team. The second half is how we've played for the majority of the season but this not being able to score goals thing as just seeped into the mentality of all the players and they're frightened of the goal. Then you have Lucas, Agger, Johnson, Kelly all out injured and Enrique's lack of form exposing our defense. All of that collided and it culminated in all these losses. I believe if you give Kenny the right players they'll be on top of the world but we have not got the right players. He's the one who chose them. That's where I can't defend him and don't have much confidence.

On the plus side, I think Doni fared well. Flapped at a cross but wasn't really tested much. There was a point where he went one on one with one of the Villa players and he came and cliamed the ball pretty confidently, something i'm not sure Reina would have done. I'm pretty sure we would have conceded at that point.

Gerrard was great in the right of midfield.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5997
But are you really sure we'll buy the right players?

I feel like Kenny will go get Joe Allen and Darren Bent/Defoe and we'll just be crap for another season. We'll hear the same mantra ''you can't get champions league with championship players''. For me, I have no problem with the way Kenny sets up his team. The second half is how we've played for the majority of the season but this not being able to score goals thing as just seeped into the mentality of all the players and they're frightened of the goal. Then you have Lucas, Agger, Johnson and Kelly all out injured exposing our defense. All of that collided and it culminated in all these losses. I believe if you give Kenny the right players they'll be on top of the world but we have not got the right players. He's the one who chose them. That's where I can't defend him and don't have much confidence.

You can't really say whether he'll make the correct signings, but he deserves another season imo and should be given the chance to rectify what's gone wrong this season. There have been enough signs for me that we're trying to create something which can come good. We've outplayed so many teams this season, the likes of City (twice), United, Arsenal, not to mention all of the other teams that we've hammered but not been able to score against. It's not a case of not having players that are good enough imo, or not having enough quality. I think since the Arsenal game it's more been a case of motivation, and that throughout the season there's been a massive lack of confidence within the team. There haven't been enough players willing to take risks, too many players playing within their shell. Surely the management will know where our problems are and how we can go to rectify them. I don't think we'll have another season like this where we'll hit the woodwork 30 times either.

I'm not massively fussed with the obsession concerning last summer's signings. They haven't worked out in terms of firing us to top 4 this season but I still think that Henderson & Downing can be useful assets next season and have shown signs of improvement lately. Downing's been one of our only consistently decent players over the last couple of months and Henderson played well today, kept us ticking nicely + there have been a fair few positive performances from him this season. Adam for what he cost has been worth it imo, he's an effective squad player. Carroll's the one I'm genuinely concerned about, but it should be nailed on that we're signing a striker this summer so he'll either be 3rd choice or sold anyway.

I think next season - IF we can make some decent signings in the summer and Lucas starts it fully fit, we'll be far better off. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but there have been enough signs this season for me to warrant Dalglish another season. I fear that getting another manager in will just have us back to square one. We should give this team a proper chance to bond imo and then see where we are in a year's time. It'll be interesting to see whether FSG see the situation as similar or not.
Original post by Pn94
You can't really say whether he'll make the correct signings, but he deserves another season imo and should be given the chance to rectify what's gone wrong this season. There have been enough signs for me that we're trying to create something which can come good. We've outplayed so many teams this season, the likes of City (twice), United, Arsenal, not to mention all of the other teams that we've hammered but not been able to score against. It's not a case of not having players that are good enough imo, or not having enough quality. I think since the Arsenal game it's more been a case of motivation, and that throughout the season there's been a massive lack of confidence within the team. There haven't been enough players willing to take risks, too many players playing within their shell. Surely the management will know where our problems are and how we can go to rectify them. I don't think we'll have another season like this where we'll hit the woodwork 30 times either.

I'm not massively fussed with the obsession concerning last summer's signings. They haven't worked out in terms of firing us to top 4 this season but I still think that Henderson & Downing can be useful assets next season and have shown signs of improvement lately. Downing's been one of our only consistently decent players over the last couple of months and Henderson played well today, kept us ticking nicely + there have been a fair few positive performances from him this season. Adam for what he cost has been worth it imo, he's an effective squad player. Carroll's the one I'm genuinely concerned about, but it should be nailed on that we're signing a striker this summer so he'll either be 3rd choice or sold anyway.

I think next season - IF we can make some decent signings in the summer and Lucas starts it fully fit, we'll be far better off. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but there have been enough signs this season for me to warrant Dalglish another season. I fear that getting another manager in will just have us back to square one. We should give this team a proper chance to bond imo and then see where we are in a year's time. It'll be interesting to see whether FSG see the situation as similar or not.

I for one, advocate the selling of Andy Carroll with no hesitation. He is holding us back where in comparison previous number 9's in Torres, Owen, Fowler took us forward. The fact that our major problem this season has been not scoring goals but then at the same time we have a 35 million striker on the bench says it all tbh. Our transfer dealings have been bad you're right in terms of getting us into the top4 and I do agree that in the future Downing, Henderson and Adam will be really solid squad players to have. The only doubt is cast over Carroll. Too expensive to just be a squad player and he wears the number 9. Will Kenny and the club admit the fault and let him go? What were we ever even thinking paying 35m for an injured striker who's only had half a season in the premier league? Something is clearly wrong with our scouting. What a force we'd be if we had Cavani as first choice and Van Wolfswinkel/Adebayor or something as second choice. With another winger in Drier Mertens or Gaitan. A playmaker ala Modric. Luxury would let us have a cover for Lucas as well. I'm not saying exactly those players but players in that mould rather than ''prem proven''.

I'm on the fence about Kenny. I want him to get another season because really if we sack him all we'll enter is a never ending cycle of manager after manager. All the most successful teams at the moment have one thing in common, managerial stability and i'd like nothing more than for it to be Kenny to lead us to glory. But on the other hand, the table doesn't lie and 2 wins in 2012 is absolutely woeful and there's no way to paint it nicely. We haven't actually been good in the league even before Arsenal because in all honestly, the Arsenal game should not have been a must win. For all those missed oppurtunities and dropped points against eh likes of Stoke, Blackburn, Wigan, Norwich, Swansea.. We shouldn't have ever even been in the position that if we don't win we're 10 points off fourth in March.

If FSG keep Kenny on, i'll understand it, if they don't, i'll understand that too. hatever happens, we really do need a major revamp of our transfer policy and really look to get the right 3/4 players in who could change everything for us. We'll have a real squad if that happens. This transfer window is so hugely important it's unreal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pn94
City (twice)

*******s take away the bobble for Lescott's own goal and the "penalty" against Richards and we'd have 6 points and a trophy.

Latest