The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Boxed
I suggest giving it to 4 significant figures.

Sometimes the probability questions involved potatoes or £ want you to round so it is a whole number; how do I know when to do this?
Reply 21
Original post by Marsters
Sometimes the probability questions involved potatoes or £ want you to round so it is a whole number; how do I know when to do this?

it would be logical to round items like the number of potatoes because you cant get .decimal potatoes :biggrin:. What I would suggest is give a significant figured answer and then give a rounded, therefore you wouldn't loose any potential marks.

If it's something like pounds, just give to 4 significant and then 2 underneath
Reply 22
Well, that was fun. So many words.
Reply 23
Original post by Mission
Well, that was fun. So many words.

Haha, you actually enjoy that? ... I've got no idea how to interpret those wording questions, didn't even have enough time to go over everything. Probability question was a bitch. 11 bloody marks for 4 questions...
Reply 24
Hope it went ok for you guys
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by 7even
Haha, you actually enjoy that? ... I've got no idea how to interpret those wording questions, didn't even have enough time to go over everything. Probability question was a bitch. 11 bloody marks for 4 questions...

Sarcasm doesn't translate very well over the internet. I screwed up the probability question, didn't answer part B or Ai and what I did answer I'm pretty sure was wrong. Meh.

I'll just resit in June.
Reply 26
Apparently you needed venn diagrams for the probability question! I forgot about these :/
Reply 27
It said using a table so I tried to draw a table but it didn't work very well...
Reply 28
Original post by Mission
Sarcasm doesn't translate very well over the internet. I screwed up the probability question, didn't answer part B or Ai and what I did answer I'm pretty sure was wrong. Meh.

I'll just resit in June.

Haha figured it was sarcasm, but you never know... Yeah same exact thing here.
Reply 29
I used a Venn Diagram for that one.
The other questions weren't great at all, a lot of interpreting and that :/
Resit here I come! :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Can someone explain to me in detail the answer for the probability question please?
the probabilities were..
A play 0.85
B play 0.6
cheers
Reply 31
EASIEST TEST EVERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it was pretty easy.
Reply 32
ye it was pretty easy... but i flopped the probability one expect that it was good :biggrin:
on question 7, i got 23.76 for the standard deviation, because i used (n) instead of (n-1) by mistake :frown: anyone know how many marks i'm likely to drop because of this? i'm hoping it won't affect the rest of the question either.
paper was realtivly easy, the proberbility got me at once; got it thought! (thank god.)
with the writing questions, they were pretty straight forward aswell! all of the types of question on writing have come up before however different contexts so yea it was good. LOL hope everyone else did well!:smile:
Reply 35
Ok so I did stat 1a not 1b but I reckon questions were the same except that you had an extra question. Anyway, wasn't there a mistake in probabilities question? Because probability that A guy plays is 0.85 and probability that B guy plays is 0.60. Show that probability of neither of them playing is 0.10. So 1-0.85 = 0.15 and 1-0.6 = 0.4 and 0.15*0.4 = 0.06 wtf it's not 0.10. WTF?
And for question 5, which was worth 4 marks (dunno if it was the same on 1B) there was half a page of a text.. Was not enough time :frown: I managed to do each 1a past paper within an 1h or so, out of 1h 15min, but this one just.. omg... and for probabilities I messed up as I had 2 minutes to finish off whole question.. for aii) i messed up, because it said probability that they both play is 0.55 but I multiplied 0.85*0.6 to get it, I thought I had to work it out.... and that valuewas below by 0.04, so I got 0.94 instead of 0.98 :/ and in bii) I wrote everything out, but didn't have time to calculate the value ****ing invigilator took the paper off me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Was set out different to all previous exams but I thought it was okay, apart from the one where nobody seems to have been able to get the answer. I only revised yesterday for it so whatever I get is really my own fault lol.
Original post by Miyata
Ok so I did stat 1a not 1b but I reckon questions were the same except that you had an extra question. Anyway, wasn't there a mistake in probabilities question? Because probability that A guy plays is 0.85 and probability that B guy plays is 0.60. Show that probability of neither of them playing is 0.10. So 1-0.85 = 0.15 and 1-0.6 = 0.4 and 0.15*0.4 = 0.06 wtf it's not 0.10. WTF?
And for question 5, which was worth 4 marks (dunno if it was the same on 1B) there was half a page of a text.. Was not enough time :frown: I managed to do each 1a past paper within an 1h or so, out of 1h 15min, but this one just.. omg... and for probabilities I messed up as I had 2 minutes to finish off whole question.. for aii) i messed up, because it said probability that they both play is 0.55 but I multiplied 0.85*0.6 to get it, I thought I had to work it out.... and that valuewas below by 0.04, so I got 0.94 instead of 0.98 :/ and in bii) I wrote everything out, but didn't have time to calculate the value ****ing invigilator took the paper off me.

for the proberbility u had to create a table like this.

Name 1 Plays Name 1 Does not Play TOTAL
Name 2 Plays
Name 2 does not play
TOTAL

and becuase you knew that the proberbility that both play; you would put that into the first box (bit hard to explain on here), there wasnt a mistake you were able to get 0.1 if you created a table and made the information clear.

*TABLE DIDNT WORK* SORRY
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fbarkley
Was set out different to all previous exams but I thought it was okay, apart from the one where nobody seems to have been able to get the answer. I only revised yesterday for it so whatever I get is really my own fault lol.

i dont think it was any different to any other paper. apart from question 2 maybe; a whole question worth 3 marks 0.o with the pmcc
Previous past papers for an A grade have had about 59-62. This wasnt a hard paper i dont think, will be expecting a grade boundary to be about 61-63 for an A Grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending