The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by HugoDuchovny
Engineering is definitely one of them.

i have a 4 hour lecture every monday morning : |

Which university do you go to?
According to university regulations a university course that involves 120 CATS credit points should (according to HEFCE/HESA/QAA) encompass 10 hours per credit - so 1,200 hours. Over a standard 30 week academic year that's 40 hours work a week.

Some subjects a lot of those 40 hours are scheduled in, others there aren't many scheduled hours but you're required to put the time in in your own time.

Lots of students end up doing 20 or so hours a week for 20 weeks of the year but then put in lots of extra time during exam periods.

Oxbridge terms are only ~26 weeks but still require 1,200hrs of study/work (so over 46 hours a week on average).

Of course if you're required to do work over the holidays then that knocks off the intensity of the hours you have to work during term time (and vice versa).

Some people manage to get by on a lot less independent study than most - but quite often that's just an impression rather than the reality of the situation.

If you put in less than ~30 hours a week in any subject (ON AVERAGE taking into account the constant revision around exam time etc etc) then you'll struggle to get by.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by PQ
According to university regulations a university course that involves 120 CATS credit points should (according to HEFCE/HESA/QAA) encompass 10 hours per credit - so 1,200 hours. Over a standard 30 week academic year that's 40 hours work a week.

Some subjects a lot of those 40 hours are scheduled in, others there aren't many scheduled hours but you're required to put the time in in your own time.

Lots of students end up doing 20 or so hours a week for 20 weeks of the year but then put in lots of extra time during exam periods.

Oxbridge terms are only ~26 weeks but still require 1,200hrs of study/work (so over 46 hours a week on average).

Of course if you're required to do work over the holidays then that knocks off the intensity of the hours you have to work during term time (and vice versa).

Some people manage to get by on a lot less independent study than most - but quite often that's just an impression rather than the reality of the situation.

If you put in less than ~30 hours a week in any subject (ON AVERAGE taking into account the constant revision around exam time etc etc) then you'll struggle to get by.

well looks like everyday will be revision day for me from September especially for my course :lol: :cry:
Reply 43
Original post by redferry
So does my course this year, who would have thought it -_- I mean what kind of science course has a million hours of reading? Oh well at least it is interesting.

From the evidence I have seen you can pass Law without doing all the required reading though?

Wheras with engineering etc it is very easy to fail from what I have seen.

No. no, no and no! Do you even do Law? You can pass Law without the supplementary reading, but definitely not the required reading.
Original post by tehforum
Law.

Really? I agree at assignment time but during the year I'm in max 9 hours a week per term. Not including doing tutorial work etc. But compared to my medic and engineer friends I feel like I'm never in.

Obviously varies from uni to uni, person to person :smile:
Reply 45
Law - if you do what you are supposed to do. Also depends on the university/individual/week/topic - some other lawyers I know spend a lot lest time than I do on work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Engineering - per year we have as many words to write in summative reports as anyone doing an arts degree - plus **** loads more coursework, plus more exams that anyone.
Just reading through this and can't help but think i'm in for a tough ride. Going to do aeronautical engineering in september and was fully aware it wasnt going to be an easy ride but i see a few people on this thread have said there have been a few failures :s-smilie:.

Ah well, bring it on. :smile:
Cambridge NatSci. It's so broad and there is just so much material. Also, saturday morning lectures anyone? :tongue: I feel sorry for them sometimes...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Here is what my close friend studying Computer Science at Edinburgh told me:

In the first semester it was quite easy, though mathematics part was very hard(linear algebra).

However, in the second semester, they started to learn Calculus and it was so hard that over 80% of people did not pass an exam and the highest score was 65% :biggrin:

On top of that, they had to learn Java, make a project creating chess engine from scratch and they had to learn Java themselves because professors did not explain much.

He said they are going to make maths part easier next year lol.
Reply 50
Original post by munchen102
Just reading through this and can't help but think i'm in for a tough ride. Going to do aeronautical engineering in september and was fully aware it wasnt going to be an easy ride but i see a few people on this thread have said there have been a few failures :s-smilie:.

You should write 'tough' in CAPITALS :wink: Currently studying Aeronautics and Astronautics at Southampton :smile:
Original post by SJS101
You should write 'tough' in CAPITALS :wink: Currently studying Aeronautics and Astronautics at Southampton :smile:

Tough as in intellectually demanding or the amount of work?
Reply 52
Depends on university and course structure to be honest. Also depends on which grade you are aiming. For example some course it might not be tough to pass but really hard to get a first.
Original post by spocckka
Engineering - per year we have as many words to write in summative reports as anyone doing an arts degree - plus **** loads more coursework, plus more exams that anyone.

Not really fair comparing an engineering course to an arts one xD
Reply 54
Tough as in intellectually demanding or the amount of work?

Both, but for me.... Mainly amount of work
Reply 55
Original post by tehforum
Law.

Can confirm this post from early 2012. I am dying.
I think veterinary medicine is on top of the list. We have a lot of lectures, practical classes etc. although the exact amount varies with the years (last week I had 33 hours of contact time although other weeks I have fewer hours). On top of learning anatomy, diseases, husbandry, nutrition, clinical skills for multiple species we have to complete (unpaid) placements during our holidays and log our learning outcomes and fill in a journal etc (on one placement I worked from 5am to 6pm!).

I also live with engineers and think they have a very high workload too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by anon7
So true!

Whether you're a genious or not will not influence the time you'll have to spend studying anyway...

Hey!
Sorry but, :erm:, what's a genious?
Reply 58

I know it's late, but how are you finding it so far? I'm doing it next year!
Reply 59
What do you think about chemical engineering in this context?

Latest

Trending

Trending