The Student Room Group

PGDE (History) Interview

Hi guys, how are you doing?

I have an interview for the above course at the beginning of February and am currently doing some preparation for it. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of having attended an interview for Glasgow - for this course or any other - or just generally had any advice or reading material that they could recommend?

The format of my interview is:

* A written task on a teaching related topic.
* A group discussion on pupil perspectives of effective teaching (with references to the importance of the affective domain and which teaching styles prove most effective)
* An individual interview.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Take care and thank you.
Reply 1
**Please not I am NOT asking any information that is not in the public domain or specifics about what is likely to be asked in my interview so as to gain an advantage in any way. I am only interested in general advice or any helpful reading material. Thank you!**
Hey!

I have an interview for the same course on the 9th of February.

I have spoken to a few people who have had theirs or are in the course: basically it seems to be a rather informal morning starting with a presentation about the day and then moving on to the separate parts. Apparently the group discussion, it just a conversation about the topic but they key seems to be to participate properly and not sit on the sidelines.

I would research curriculum for excellence and any new developments in teaching you can find. Maybe prepare notes on your school experience and basics. Why you want to teach? Why history? What can you bring to a school outside your subject (sports clubs etc) What have your learnt from your classroom experience. I think they are just looking to see what we are like and whether we're suited to teach. There is lots of good websites with a wealth of information on the curriculum and teaching.

Good Luck and maybe I'll see you on the course next year!
Reply 3
Hey!

I have an interview on the same day but it for Biology.

I am a bit worried as everyone else seems to know already what the different parts of the interview are, not just for History but for Bio too.

Are we meant to have received a letter or email telling us the format because I haven't heard a thing since i responded to the invite!

Thanks
Hey!

The email I got saying I had an interview told me on it what the process is, and what the discussion article is. Maybe have a look at it again and see what it says.

Hope this helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah i realised this and went back to have a look. Realised it hadn't shown the whole email when i first looked at it on my phone!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest