The Student Room Group

Higher Maths help

Hi there

Basically i am picking my subjects and was wanting to no if i would have a chance of coping with higher maths

i got a 4 in standerd grade

if i was to do higher i would get a private tutor aswell so would i have a chance of achieving a grade b at least :smile:
Reply 1
Depends - did you muck about a lot in SG, missed classes for whatever reason etc. or did you put a fair bit of effort into revision? If the latter, I'd be more tempted to do Int2 and then higher in S6. From personal experience, I found higher maths a struggle and ended up getting a tutor just before exams and that was coming in with a credit grade. But of course, it all comes down to the individual.

Also, does your school not have any policies for advancing to highers? As I know many wont let you sit higher unless you gain a credit grade, some a three at a push.
Reply 2
That would take a LOT of work if you got a 4 in SG. Especially if you've taken some time out from studying maths. The step up from SG to Higher is quite a big step and even those who get straight 1s in maths at SG still struggle so I would really think carefully about it before you decide to do it. If you're doing this through your school, it's surprising if they'll let you do it.. most schools want you to have a 1 or 2 to be able to progress to Higher.
Reply 3
No. Sorry but if you can't cope with SG then it is very unlikely you will not be able to do well at higher without int 2 to bridge the gap
Reply 4
Original post by rosie9391
Depends - did you muck about a lot in SG, missed classes for whatever reason etc. or did you put a fair bit of effort into revision? If the latter, I'd be more tempted to do Int2 and then higher in S6. From personal experience, I found higher maths a struggle and ended up getting a tutor just before exams and that was coming in with a credit grade. But of course, it all comes down to the individual.

Also, does your school not have any policies for advancing to highers? As I know many wont let you sit higher unless you gain a credit grade, some a three at a push.

i actually would be picking it for my 6th year

as i am in 5th year right now and with my late decision of going to university hasn't helped as it was too late to pick any others highers up that far into the courses.

and i am currently only doing 2 highers

next year i am planning to do 5 if i was not to do maths as a higher then i would have to do 5 highers + in2 maths :frown:

and i really want to go to edinburgh or strathclyde uni so basically no other choice

for next year i want to do computing, english and crash 3 highers which are geography, RMPS and spanish
Reply 5
Original post by aroy45
No. Sorry but if you can't cope with SG then it is very unlikely you will not be able to do well at higher without int 2 to bridge the gap

ye i think i might just go for the int2 maths though i will have to self teach it because of the other 5 highers i will be taking
Reply 6
Original post by shadow2927
i actually would be picking it for my 6th year

as i am in 5th year right now and with my late decision of going to university hasn't helped as it was too late to pick any others highers up that far into the courses.

and i am currently only doing 2 highers

next year i am planning to do 5 if i was not to do maths as a higher then i would have to do 5 highers + in2 maths :frown:

and i really want to go to edinburgh or strathclyde uni so basically no other choice

for next year i want to do computing, english and crash 3 highers which are geography, RMPS and spanish

Yikes your 6th year isn't going to be fun! Why do you need to do maths anyway? Is it a requirement to achieve credit/int2 maths?
Reply 7
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Yikes your 6th year isn't going to be fun! Why do you need to do maths anyway? Is it a requirement to achieve credit/int2 maths?

you see some of the courses i want to do ask for maths at credit so have no choice

and strathclyde ask for AAABBBB

to do law and because of my late decison to go to university i am stuck with only 2highers this year hence why i am going to take 5 next year:frown:

Hoping to get between AAAABBB to AAABBBB :biggrin:

Lol i will have no life next school year its basically going to be dedicated to education:frown:

Hoping to get between AAAABBB to AAABBBB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending