The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by j.alexanderh
Should have been an easy 100%, but I made one horrendous error and another pretty bad one:

1) Equated i components instead of j components in the ships question, then solved everything (correctly) from there, so my answers for time and distance were for when one ship was due north of the other rather than west :frown:

2) Immediately assumed on the stone throw above 6 3/5 metres question that I needed the larger solution to the quadratic for t and that the other was <0 as is usually the case for these types of questions, forgetting the stone would pass the height at two different times. So I got the negative of the correct answer but just ignored the minus sign and wrote down the correct answer.

How badly are these likely to affect me?

1) 7(c) = 0 marks (d) = 1 mark as you had a correct method.

5(c) if you got the correct anwser but it had a negative. But you revesered it than 5 marks. As one mark detucted by ur method not being secure.
Original post by Mr.cool
1) 7(c) = 0 marks (d) = 1 mark as you had a correct method.

Seems a bit harsh to lose 5 marks for that mix-up. I would have expected maybe 1 mark for part c) for correct method and up to 3 for d) if they allow that as a carry-through error. Doesn't the fact that I clearly knew what I was doing count for anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 282
Original post by Vaner
He is.......definitely. :colonhash:

I am no teacher, I am a teaching god
Reply 283
Original post by j.alexanderh
Seems a bit harsh to lose 5 marks for that mix-up. I would have expected maybe 1 mark for part c) for correct method and up to 3 for d) if they allow that as a carry-through error. Doesn't the fact that I clearly knew what I was doing count for anything?

sorry for not explaining. But edexcel do not give you accuracy marks if you do not have the correct anwser. Therefore although you knew what to do. You will still be penealised for your error in 7(c). M1 A0 // A0

7(c) would be eneterily wrong. As you were meanth to equate the j compents. Therefore you didn't get any accuarcy marks as no correct anwser and also you will get no method marks as you method was wrong. M0 M0 A0
Arsey please reply to my follow-up question, I beg of you! :'(
Reply 285
Original post by Mr.cool
sorry for not explaining. But edexcel do not give you accuracy marks if you do not have the correct anwser. Therefore although you knew what to do. You will still be penealised for your error in 7(c). M1 A0 // A0

7(c) would be eneterily wrong. As you were meanth to equate the j compents. Therefore you didn't get any accuarcy marks as no correct anwser and also you will get no method marks as you method was wrong. M0 M0 A0

yes and no, you can get accuracy marks if they allow follow through; however, there are less ft marks awarded than you would expect
Original post by Arsey
there are less ft marks awarded than you would expect

What does this mean? They award ft marks only for some questions or they cap the marks available from fts or what?

The former seems ridiculous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 287
Original post by Arsey
yes and no, you can get accuracy marks if they allow follow through; however, there are less ft marks awarded than you would expect

i assume edexcel marks c2 as it marks m1. In that c2 june 11 paper 5(c) you would lose the A0 mark if you hadn't found 5(b). So wouldn't it occur the same in this m1 question. i know it doesn't concern me but it would be useful refernce if i did an error in a future edexcel maths exam.

I seem to understand they will give you the accuary marks if there if a [ft] symbol beside even if you made the error.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 288
Original post by Alpha5
Would I lose any marks if I drew the horizontal lines for the acceleration graph as 2 parallel lines, shaded in to make it stand out? Thanks

i think we both will lose 2 marks as both of the first sections and third sections will be penalised.
Original post by Arsey
M1 would not really matter too much if you were going for an A*

the vast majority of centres do one module in Jan

So are you implying that if one has had a not so good M1 score in the Winter...one can sit it in the Summer when fully prepared. The intensity of the Winter dates is such that it can cause fatigue and very difficult to review ones solutions etc Its also clear that the Summer 2012 dates are very nicely spread out too.

There's just 8 - 12 hours to prepare for the next exam if somebody is sitting most of their exams in the Winter. Whilst during February til end of the June there's sufficient time to actually devote a week to every module if doing 4A2-Levels.

The paper was'nt that difficult, but it did require some thought in some parts. Alot of centres enter candidates in Winter to give them the opportunity to maximise their UMS scores for the AS modules especially so. However it does seem as though procrastination gets the better of most candidates:rolleyes:

Something odd and strange was how alot of candidates in the exam hall were simply staring at their script or the wall and others were simply flicking through the pages of their script:rolleyes: Which should ensure that the grade boundaries are lower than expected. TSR forum members are well above average, and not a reflection of the average Mathematician.

Does this mean the Summer papers will be of similar standard or more demanding style of questions?
Reply 290
Original post by Mr.cool
i think we both will lose 2 marks as both of the first sections and third sections will be penalised.

The thing is my graph has the right shape, it's just that the lines I used to represent the acceleration is quite bold. Surely that okay right, I used dotted lines to represent time intervals.
Reply 291
Original post by Alpha5
The thing is my graph has the right shape, it's just that the lines I used to represent the acceleration is quite bold. Surely that okay right, I used dotted lines to represent time intervals.

i had the right shape just like yours is i presume. But apprently edexcel doesn't like NON dotted lines. So we will both get 1/3
Reply 292
Original post by Rahul.S
thanks g :colone: what year you in?

Reply 293
will i lose a mark for giving the answer as 104.0 degrees when it asked it to the nearest degree?
Original post by Az_016
will i lose a mark for giving the answer as 104.0 degrees when it asked it to the nearest degree?

As 104.0 is to the nearest tenth of a degree, I'd assume you would.
Still so confused about the j angle one. I've always been taught to work it out anticlockwise from j, which would make it 256 degrees, not 104 or whatever it was.
Reply 296
Original post by Gibberish
On the moment question I did every thing right except missed out g... how many marks will this get me?

I too would like to know this as I made the same mistake.
Original post by xy5
Hi
Many students who sit this exam are on a schedule of 12+ units in two years and the January sitting is often a prime opportunity for good candidates and good schools to get pupils through the modules they need to. I appreciate you are looking it from a students view but your experience is not in keeping with many other candidates or schools. I have had some of my pupils (at 3 different schools) on a schedule of C1/C2/M1/S1 in a January session (and more) and they, along with many others, do not fall into the bracket you stated.

In a previous post(s) you suggested all exams were now harder. This again shows that thought process is not correct with this M1 being fairly straightforward apart from the last 5 marks. The difficulty of papers is not by design as Im sure if they dished up a 2009 January M1 paper this time around people would be taking up basket weaving and dropping maths.

The keyword is good candidates...M1 is the unit most resit of those units you mentioned. It is more demanding especially for those that do not study Physics etc Agreed it was a relatively straightforward paper, however with the 'intensity' of the Winter exams, some would not be as prepared/motivated as others. They don't drop Maths :rolleyes: most often Decision Maths and sometimes Statistics are studied and Mechanics is avoided. The exams were'nt harder, there were a few questions which were different to past papers, which certainly required 'thinking'. The good candidates who prepared well would've found this paper relatively straightforward. However there are large numbers of others who through lack of preparation would not have achieved their true potential:smile: So does this mean we can look forward to a January 2009 style M1 paper in the Summer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ms93
Ah didn't do too well :frown:

Was it due to a lack of preparation? The intensity of the Winter exam dates? Not attempting past papers? You're not the only one, lots of those that also sat M1 were not feeling too good after the exam. I was just amused and slightly disturbed at the candidates who were just flicking through the pages of their scripts or simply playing with their hair or pen. M1 really does require preparing well, the paper however was not that difficult compared to June 2011. One girl wanted to cry at the end of it, as M1 did'nt go as well as her D1 paper. Perhaps the Summer session involves more preparation and motivation as well as the dates more nicely spread than the intensity of the Winter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by intellectual1
The keyword is good candidates...M1 is the unit most resit of those units you mentioned. It is more demanding especially for those that do not study Physics etc Agreed it was a relatively straightforward paper, however with the 'intensity' of the Winter exams, some would not be as prepared/motivated as others. They don't drop Maths :rolleyes: most often Decision Maths and sometimes Statistics are studied and Mechanics is avoided. The exams were'nt harder, there were a few questions which were different to past papers, which certainly required 'thinking'. The good candidates who prepared well would've found this paper relatively straightforward. However there are large numbers of others who through lack of preparation would not have achieved their true potential:smile: So does this mean we can look forward to a January 2009 style M1 paper in the Summer?

Hi
Again, this is your opinion which is not really based on fact but speculation (and possibly worry? although I dont wish to judge)
I understand you are in a cycle of learning but if you check back in a few years when you go beyond school you will see similar thoughts by students. Its natural to be sceptical, fearful or concerned but your understanding of the current system is not really an informed one that may be held by an educational professional.
Winter exam sessions are not harder, pupils are in the main (as I showed in a few posts back) are obtaining the same % of UMS over 80 in each session and papers are not designed to catch people out.
Some changes may well come in but you are certainly yet to see them and the idea that Edexcel have had to make their papers harder has been shown not to be the case with this exam, with the Jnauary 2011 C4, June 2011 C3, M1 just gone and so on.
I really don't want to sound rude and I apologise if it has come over that way. My concern is that you (and others) are getting overly concerned when in reality there is no basis for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending