The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by NP473L
Worst thing is saying goodbye in the living room, then the hallway, then the driveway, then by your car, then through the rolled down windows...

:sigh:

Hahaha!!! Soo frikken trueeee
and very rarely they come back cause they forgot something, and the cycle repeats lool
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Best? I don't know to be honest. Probably the food since I love asian cuisine.

Worst in my eyes is just basically many people have these stereotypical expectations and when they meet me they're in utter shock. For example people assume I'm really smart, especially in math, when really it's a subject I struggle in. Also strict parents are common with asians but I'm quite lucky to have relaxed ones. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Pride
how did I know some dickhead would point that out...?

your hilarious! :hand:

You're? hahah
Reply 43
From an outsider's perspective I'd say
I loove your:
food
weddings (most)
Family values
the fact that I can't enter and leave an Asian friend's home without being offered 6 plates of food
The way your parents stare as I eat their food :smile:

Dislike, I'd say parents can be ever so slightly over protective..
Reply 44
Original post by maleeha207
So what do you think?

What are the best and worst things about being asian?
For me, as a Pakistani, the best thing has to be the 'togetherness' of family, which you dont normally find in other cultures.
The worst is the way parents expect you to be perfect but you'll never actually reach this expectation because they dont actually know what perfect is (there isnt such thing because someone will always be better than you...LIKE THE AUNTIES DAUGHTER.) -_-

Best - No need to tan and no need to bleach loool i'm joking, the family togetherness, the food, the colourful culture, family traditions e.g. birthday are joke

Worst - Being compared to your parents friends daughter, why you got A and not a A* LOOL, ermm when you complain, they start their exaggerated story about how hard it was for them, although for my family it wasn't because they were really rich and lived in a massive house and went to private schools and uni, so they don't get to tell stories like 'oh we had to wear the same uniform for 5 years' <<heard someone say that in a shop haha

Other than that theres nothing bad, unless you come from those extremely, uneducated strict families where you can't go out with guys, I can, so thats not for me to complain about :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by luke.vatkovsky
Very ignorant. What a load of *******s.

sorry, didnt mean to offend
Original post by Preetinder
LOL I agree with the 'worst' piece :P
As an Indian:
Best: the family/togetherness thing aswell, and in a way the high expectations-and feeling like, if they think you can be an amazing straight-A* student, then maybe (just maybe) you can :smile: Too bad you spend your whole life trying to prove it though!
Worst: comparing you to other people who are better than you. Then when you compare yourself to some of the 'goray' that aren't great, they say it's a difference of culture!!

oh wow, you explained my feelings perfectly! lol
Indian too btw :biggrin:
Reply 47
A = Average
B = Below average
C = Crap
D = Death
Original post by chocoholic.
oh noooo why have i discovered this thread, now i have to read through all the comments. Suppose to be revising!

Ditto D:
Reply 49
Curry and Chappati! Along with lectures.
Reply 50
Best:
food
clothes
when asian guys wear asian clothes :coma:
the overdramatic dramas on television. i can't help but lol at the excessive camera zooming, dramatic music etc

Worst:
how the aunti-jis know everything. like everything
being compared to so-and-so's daughter who got 10 A*s and is at Oxford doing medicine
the utter disappointment when you look inside your freezer and discover that the ice-cream tub you got so excited about actually contains...daal :sigh:
Reply 51
Original post by J DOT A
Being Asian is the best. I don't know about you guys but because I am asian I know I can relate to Indians, Pakistani's and Bangladeshis and to some extent some middle easterners. Simply because our cultures are extremely similar, we all get pushed to achieve... we all get forced into watching Zeet Tv/Star plus/NDTV imagine ect... and we have all head that "When I was your age I came to this country and I was earning 50p a week" stories.

And the best is walking into a predominatley asian area and it feeling just like home!
I love being ASIAN!

very true :smile:
small penises but great at maths. lol.
Reply 53
Original post by J DOT A

And the best is walking into a predominatley asian area and it feeling just like home!
I love being ASIAN!

SOOO TRUE! :tongue:
Reply 54
eventhough theres more "worst things" I still love being asian its all fun lol
Original post by sunnybacon
Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a laugh...although I'm pretty sure I've been asked a lot of these questions :biggrin:
Enjoy :tongue:

I LOLed!! I'm not "South asian", but the Canadian impersonation is dead on :awesome:

And I own the same plaid shirt he's wearing :ninja:
Pakistani
Best- I like the skin :smile:, close family bonds, Salwar Kameez, fun parties.

worst- High expectations in terms of grades when i was in year 11 i told my Dad i got an A in my History mock exam to which he replied "____ got an A*, you need to start revising!", little did he know the month before I was getting E's in practice papers. Oh and everyone somehow knows everyone and rumours are spread like wild fire. Also if you're a shy person a lot of non- Asians sometimes assume you are oppressed lol.

It may look like theres a lot more bad than good, but I do love being Asian :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Sol1dShot
You're? hahah

my mistake... :sigh:
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
I LOLed!! I'm not "South asian", but the Canadian impersonation is dead on :awesome:

And I own the same plaid shirt he's wearing :ninja:

That's because he is Canadian, it's probably not too hard for him to do :biggrin: Well, ethnically a Punjabi Indian, but born in Canada :smile:
Lol plaid shirts are awesome :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ThumbsUp

Original post by ThumbsUp
when you say something like 'oooh a levels are so hard!' then one (or even both if your that unlucky) starts with 'vhen i vas in india/some other asian dominated country, we had to run 8 miles to school' or some other ridiculously exagerrated lie ._.

There could be some truth in that; I'm not Asian myself, but I am subjected to this!

Well. I walk. But still - it's a pain when you have to wake up at 6:30 in time to leave :sadnod:

Latest