The Student Room Group

UofG's Accommodation

Greetings all,

Does anyone that lives in Glasgow Uni's accomodation come from Glasgow, or do non-Glaswegians take up the places? Just wondering :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Tara I
Greetings all,

Does anyone that lives in Glasgow Uni's accomodation come from Glasgow, or do non-Glaswegians take up the places? Just wondering :biggrin:

They don't guarantee you a place unless you live 30 miles or more outside of Glasgow, but if you apply I think you're more likely than not to get in. I applied very late one year and still got in.
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
They don't guarantee you a place unless you live 30 miles or more outside of Glasgow, but if you apply I think you're more likely than not to get in. I applied very late one year and still got in.

Thanks. I'll admit, I've been obsessing over it lately. I live stupidly near the uni, but come the start of term - I could be on the street (family issues).

I want to attend Glasgow so badly, but I can't apply for halls unless I've firmed an offer. Whereas, with Edinburgh, I'd be guaranteed a place :/. Still, my heart is set on UofG.

A bit of a gamble to be honest.

Anyways, I appreciate the response, thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Tara I
Thanks. I'll admit, I've been obsessing over it lately. I live stupidly near the uni, but come the start of term - I could be on the street (family issues).

I want to attend Glasgow so badly, but I can't apply for halls unless I've firmed an offer. Whereas, with Edinburgh, I'd be guaranteed a place :/. Still, my heart is set on UofG.

A bit of a gamble to be honest.

Anyways, I appreciate the response, thanks.

If you want to go that badly then I suggest you consider UNITE (If you're feeling particularly rich) or a private let. A private let is likely the cheapest option.
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
If you want to go that badly then I suggest you consider UNITE (If you're feeling particularly rich) or a private let. A private let is likely the cheapest option.

I've considered so, but I'll be all on my own for the first time. I know it sounds silly, but I'd feel a little more secure if I were in uni halls, part of the bubble if you like. 'Tis probably all in my head but I think it'll just makes things more intimidating if I start dealing with external bodies and such :tongue:. I was thinking about speaking to the Accomodation Office or Student Services about my situation, maybe they can help? After all, my family think of uni as merely "a dirty affair". To put it bluntly, I'm homeless come September and it's kind of difficult to incorporate that into the standard online applications :s-smilie:.

If nothing works out, then UNITE or such it is.

Although, I've heard they (UofG) are usually quite good for places. The website still says there are still spaces available for session 2011-2012. It's freakin' January.

EDIT: All the money I have will be loaned/bursary/saved-up-by-starving-myself-way-too-many-lunches, I'll probably be left no choice but to get a part time job .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tara I
I've considered so, but I'll be all on my own for the first time. I know it sounds silly, but I'd feel a little more secure if I were in uni halls, part of the bubble if you like. 'Tis probably all in my head but I think it'll just makes things more intimidating if I start dealing with external bodies and such :tongue:. I was thinking about speaking to the Accomodation Office or Student Services about my situation, maybe they can help? After all, my family think of uni as merely "a dirty affair". To put it bluntly, I'm homeless come September and it's kind of difficult to incorporate that into the standard online applications :s-smilie:.

If nothing works out, then UNITE or such it is.

Although, I've heard they (UofG) are usually quite good for places. The website still says there are still spaces available for session 2011-2012. It's freakin' January.

EDIT: All the money I have will be loaned/bursary/saved-up-by-starving-myself-way-too-many-lunches, I'll probably be left no choice but to get a part time job .

The University halls are run by Sanctuary management, although I think you're right they're likely to be much friendlier to deal with than a private landlord.

I agree with you that contacting accommodation services is a good idea; even if they can't help you'll know they can't help if that makes sense.

The website may not have been updated, although flats do free up as term goes on due to dropouts and people deciding they want to live at home.
Reply 6
Original post by Norton1
The University halls are run by Sanctuary management, although I think you're right they're likely to be much friendlier to deal with than a private landlord.

I agree with you that contacting accommodation services is a good idea; even if they can't help you'll know they can't help if that makes sense.

The website may not have been updated, although flats do free up as term goes on due to dropouts and people deciding they want to live at home.

Yeah, I emailed them but I'm sure the reply was nothing more than a standard letter: It may be that all first years desiring a place are accomodated, depending on the number of applicants. We would adivse you to submit an application in Feb and if you have any further questions - contact us once more, at that time.

I know they don't like promising things so they may be implying that it's likely I'll land a place. However, it does read a tad generic. Not too sure what to make of it. I'll have to drop by the office once I've applied, also, Edinburgh rejected me. I looked into UNITE and such further, prices are pretty mean to be honest. Might die if I can't find a part-time job :facepalm:.

Now
, I'm in trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest