The Student Room Group

distance learning science unsure if im in the correct forum :-(

Well first up sorry if I've posted incorrectly :-( secondly i need a bit of help . What it is is i am currently at college studying maths and English gcse equivalent part time and for the career path i am have chosen (early years teaching 3-5yrs possibly primary teaching). Unfortunately during my school days i was far from the perfect student i seen being the class clown enjoyabl "boring" education i regret it now but am trying to do something about it . so im on my level 1 maths and English gcse i think that's the equivalent to a (g-d grade ) and am flying through it and am due to do level 2 soon (the equivalent to a-c grade) however i need to do science even though at school this was my best subject concentration and failure to revise resulted in disappointing grades so i have been looking at doing a gcse re sit and can not find anywhere near me that does this (im from Warrington cheshire btw ) so i am after bucket loads of advice on what to do ,where to go . do i keep searching for colleges that do this or do i do it as a distance learning course . if so what one is the best and cheapest to do also any advice in regards to the teaching would be fab . thanks for reading xx
p.s so so so sorry about the bad spelling , bad punctuation and random words im using a mobile phone for the site and changing spelling and punctuation and random words Ian proving difficult :'-(
Reply 1
P.p.s i have 2 young children and my partner (kids dad ) works away and grandparents of the children not retired and other relatives also work if that helps xx
Original post by laura_88
Well first up sorry if I've posted incorrectly :-( secondly i need a bit of help . What it is is i am currently at college studying maths and English gcse equivalent part time and for the career path i am have chosen (early years teaching 3-5yrs possibly primary teaching). Unfortunately during my school days i was far from the perfect student i seen being the class clown enjoyabl "boring" education i regret it now but am trying to do something about it . so im on my level 1 maths and English gcse i think that's the equivalent to a (g-d grade ) and am flying through it and am due to do level 2 soon (the equivalent to a-c grade) however i need to do science even though at school this was my best subject concentration and failure to revise resulted in disappointing grades so i have been looking at doing a gcse re sit and can not find anywhere near me that does this (im from Warrington cheshire btw ) so i am after bucket loads of advice on what to do ,where to go . do i keep searching for colleges that do this or do i do it as a distance learning course . if so what one is the best and cheapest to do also any advice in regards to the teaching would be fab . thanks for reading xx
p.s so so so sorry about the bad spelling , bad punctuation and random words im using a mobile phone for the site and changing spelling and punctuation and random words Ian proving difficult :'-(

Have you actually called up and asked the colleges whether they'd allow you to sit it? A quick look on the AQA website bought up options in Runcorn, Macclesfield, Ellesmere Port and Chester if they are any good? It could be quite a distance but you'd only need to go a couple of times. (http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-CENTRES.PDF) Edexcel have a similar thing on their site as well (presumably OCR etc. also do).
Reply 3
Original post by laura_88

you need to look on the internet or floodlight to see if there are any adult colleges near you, that offer gcse science and then if they do, enrol on the course, if you are on benefits, it is possible that you can do this course for free.

all gcse sciences have a compulsory practical component, which means you need a laboratory to work in.

or you take gcse science at a private college, but this will be very expensive.

alternatively you can do it through distance learning, but you still need to look for an exam centre and a lab to do your practical.
Reply 4
I've had a look on the local colleges websites and been to two in my area and they don't do it :-( runcorn Is a possibility depending on the schedule ect thanks id rather have it bw taught to me rather than teach my self xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending