The Student Room Group

24 and still don't know what to do with my life?

Hello! I'm Faith I'm 24 a single mum to two little ones. I got sidetracked quite young by a man and I'm sort of just maturing and realizing I really want to go to uni and make something of myself. I have so many interests that I'm struggling to pick an actual field or career. I feel like social care is out of the question, I'm a people person for sure. I obviously want to make decent ish money, but not be crazy stressed out because I got the kids to think about as well.

I'm originally Canadian and did VERY mediocre in high school although I did attempt the science and math courses and did alright. I'm smart though, and now that I'm maturing and actually want to study I feel as though I could go back and do it all over again? I've heard about access courses as well that I'm going to start researching soon.

I just thought I'd make a quick post for any ideas, comments, or inspiration anyone might have to share. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by faithrl
Hello! I'm Faith I'm 24 a single mum to two little ones. I got sidetracked quite young by a man and I'm sort of just maturing and realizing I really want to go to uni and make something of myself. I have so many interests that I'm struggling to pick an actual field or career. I feel like social care is out of the question, I'm a people person for sure. I obviously want to make decent ish money, but not be crazy stressed out because I got the kids to think about as well.

I'm originally Canadian and did VERY mediocre in high school although I did attempt the science and math courses and did alright. I'm smart though, and now that I'm maturing and actually want to study I feel as though I could go back and do it all over again? I've heard about access courses as well that I'm going to start researching soon.

I just thought I'd make a quick post for any ideas, comments, or inspiration anyone might have to share. Thanks :smile:

First of all well done on deciding to further your education. At 24 you are far from being too old and you most definitely will not be the only single Mum doing it. As for Access courses, they are a great way back into education and can be done either in college or by distance learning, BUT there are many different ones and if you want to go to university afterwards you would need to research the exact requirements for each course that interests you so as to make sure you actually complete the correct access course.
Best of luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
First of all well done on deciding to further your education. At 24 you are far from being too old and you most definitely will not be the only single Mum doing it. As for Access courses, they are a great way back into education and can be done either in college or by distance learning, BUT there are many different ones and if you want to go to university afterwards you would need to research the exact requirements for each course that interests you so as to make sure you actually complete the correct access course.
Best of luck!!

Thanks for the kind words :smile:
Original post by faithrl

Hi Faith,

Its amazing that you want to get back into education, I went to university at 28 and its the best thing ive ever done!
Have you though about maybe making a mind map of all the things you are interested in and what jobs they could lead to? It might help you narrow things down a little. Once you have a few ides you could maybe book some open days at some universities that you are interested in attending. Access courses are definitely an option but you would need to make sure the universities you are interested in will accept them. There are also foundation year options at university which would mean doing an extra year at level 3 to get you ready for your chosen university course which also guarantees you a space on your chosen course.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 4
Original post by faithrl

Hi Faith

I was in your exact position at 24, 2 kids and no idea what to do with my life. I started by finding a part time job as a receptionist and worked my way up, changing companies for opportunity when I needed to. At age 27 I decided to to a part time degree whilst working full time. It took me 4 years but I absolutely loved it and it helped me to grow massively in confidence in both my personal and professional life.

I Graduated top of my class with extra awards and it helped me quadruple my salary and get into a role I absolutely love. My kids are older now, im divorced and remarried and about to start an MBA!

Alot of people told me I wouldn't be able to do it (hence the divorce!) and it was very very hard but im so glad I did and showed my children that if you work hard you will get to where you want to be :smile:
Original post by faithrl

The ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (ICAEW CFAB) is made up of six modules:

Each exam costs £70.

Business, Technology and Finance,
Management Information,
Accounting,
Law,
Assurance,
Principles of Taxation.

At the end of each module, you will need to sit an exam.

Each module is examined by a 1.5 hour computer-based exam.

The exam pass mark of each exam is 55%.

You must be [url=registered]https://my.icaew.com/studentregistration]registered as an ICAEW CFAB student to book an assessment exam.

When you have passed all six modules, you will receive your qualification certificate from ICAEW a world leader of the accountancy and finance profession.
Original post by faithrl

@faithrl

Hello! Sounds like you have a passion for learning, make sure that you take the right route for you.

I've taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years which might suit you - its designed for 19+ learners and typically delivered in an F.E college but you can get online versions.

Most of my students are young mums.

You could apply for an Advanced Learner Loan which is completely written off when you complete your degree. If my memory serves me correct you need to have been in the UK for 3 years for this.

Have a look at a Social Sciences pathway, but what I would say is that the best providers will insist that you have GCSE English and Maths to get onto the program. Some providers will ask you to study them at the same time but a lot of learners find this too much - they will still enrol you though for the ££££££'s. Some progression routes have professional requirements to have the Level 2's and as some University courses are that competitive you would likely be rejected straight away without them (this tends to happen with Access to Nursing and Midwifery and Access to Medicine students a lot more).

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending