The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by Pride
well I went to both open days, both talks. Difficult to say.

In Imperial, they emphasised that they didn't mind students resitting the odd module exam within the 2 years. They also highlighted that predicted grades were a big factor after the BMAT.

UCL said they didn't like resits, it's not the be-all but they don't like it. They also heavily rely on the BMAT, predicted grades, but they said they might give a chance to those who were particularly strong in one particular area. Perhaps if the PS was very good, or if the Bmat score was very high etc.

it seemed a little risky and too variable for me to opt for UCL, considering I'd like to retake an economics exam in jan. I also got AABB at AS. I think I'll be predicted 2A*2As, so I felt Imperial would be more interested in that than UCL would be. I felt that if the BMAT went well, Imperial would look more kindly towards my application than UCL.

Now I'm not going to UCL or anything (in fact ICL was one of my choices :tongue:), but I've heard that they shortlist so many candidates on the basis of the PS and maybe grades too before the BMAT results are released. I'm not totally certain, but you may want to look into that on TSR.

For what's its worth, I got the impression this year that the BMAT is really important for interview at ICL, though once you're there I don't know how much they take it into account (that is, when giving out offers after interview). In fact, they gave out offers to apply for their scholarship based on "interview performance", I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
This question has probably been asked before but I'll ask again...

Does it matter how many A* predictions you get? Is it advantageous when applying to any unis to have a few A* predictions instead of just As?
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
This question has probably been asked before but I'll ask again...

Does it matter how many A* predictions you get? Is it advantageous when applying to any unis to have a few A* predictions instead of just As?

It depends entirely on the university/medical school. For example, it gives you an advantage if you're applying to Barts and The London school. :yep:
Original post by ViceVersa
It depends entirely on the university/medical school. For example, it gives you an advantage if you're applying to Barts and The London school. :yep:

Ah yes of course - Barts do the whole ucas points thing. I want to apply to Barts I think. Do you know if Barts accept points from General Studies well when ranking based on UCAS points (Im doing 4 subjects to A2 but also GenStu AS as well).
Ah yes of course - Barts do the whole ucas points thing. I want to apply to Barts I think. Do you know if Barts accept points from General Studies well when ranking based on UCAS points (Im doing 4 subjects to A2 but also GenStu AS as well).

Yes they accept GS :yy: (there is finally an advantage in taking it/being forced to take it :tongue:)
Reply 7985
x

Hello, I think I saw a question on the personal statement thread by you asking how could you check for plagiarism and I found this site which was conveniently on the TSR medicine personal statement wiki! Just make sure you press plagiarism detection as ON :smile:

http://ed.grammarly.com/editor/view/?f=1
Reply 7986
Original post by AspiringGenius
That's what I'm going to do as well. What about maths though for me as I finished it in the November exam so do I put January 2011 as that's when the results were (WILL IT COUNT??? :lolwut: )

Ah, actually I didn't think about this! I finished my GCSE maths a year early too... Hmmm I guess I'll just put it as when I've been certified for that (as in a year earlier than other GCSEs!)
Reply 7987
Original post by tomkeys
Now I'm not going to UCL or anything (in fact ICL was one of my choices :tongue:), but I've heard that they shortlist so many candidates on the basis of the PS and maybe grades too before the BMAT results are released. I'm not totally certain, but you may want to look into that on TSR.

For what's its worth, I got the impression this year that the BMAT is really important for interview at ICL, though once you're there I don't know how much they take it into account (that is, when giving out offers after interview). In fact, they gave out offers to apply for their scholarship based on "interview performance", I think.

I don't remember what imperial said about the value of the bmat post interview

the BMAT is important for both of them pre-interview. It was difficult for them to say anything because it does always depend on the applicant, but they both do like the BMAT. If you get above a particular score, it's very likely you'll get an interview. It's unlikely you'll be interviewed with scores under 5 and less than 3.5B.

I just decided Imperial would like my application more. I really think the BMAT suits me more than the UKCAT did, so I'm really determined with this exam
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7988
That's what I'm going to do as well. What about maths though for me as I finished it in the November exam so do I put January 2011 as that's when the results were (WILL IT COUNT??? :lolwut: )

For January exams you put March, for June exams you put August :yep:
Just did my ukcat. Got 640 :frown: i know this isnr too bad but im so gutted. Any chance i could apply for kings?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chiny94
Hello, I think I saw a question on the personal statement thread by you asking how could you check for plagiarism and I found this site which was conveniently on the TSR medicine personal statement wiki! Just make sure you press plagiarism detection as ON :smile:
Will
http://ed.grammarly.com/editor/view/?f=1

Ah thanks so much :biggrin: will give it a try.
Reply 7991
Ah thanks so much :biggrin: will give it a try.

Yep! I tried mine and apparently it's an original piece of text and it's not plagiarised! Yeahy :biggrin: Also, for KCL, what's you GCSEs like? :smile:
You are going to at leats get an interveiw at Kings, your GCSEs and UKCAT (if I remember) were brilliant.

Hope so, I'm gonna go for Kings, and that way if I don't get any offers I can apply to Bham next year :smile:

Thanks for the advice though ^^
Anyone know Biomed courses that allow transfer to medicine apart from Newcastle?

And you guys putting down 5th choices? My deadline is tomorrow :O
Original post by Revent
You seem motivated and determined. There's nothing stopping you from getting an offer (or four!).

Hah, that would be an actual miracle :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
Reply 7995
Original post by Boom533
Anyone know Biomed courses that allow transfer to medicine apart from Newcastle?

I wasn't going to originally, but I put down southamton biomed as my fifth. I'm pretty sure i'll reapply if I don't succeed though :yep:
Original post by chiny94
Yep! I tried mine and apparently it's an original piece of text and it's not plagiarised! Yeahy :biggrin: Also, for KCL, what's you GCSEs like? :smile:

Got 8 a* 3as.
Just did my ukcat. Got 640 :frown: i know this isnr too bad but im so gutted. Any chance i could apply for kings?

Well done! :redface: For King's it depends on your GCSEs :wink: How did you do?

Original post by Boom533
Hope so, I'm gonna go for Kings, and that way if I don't get any offers I can apply to Bham next year :smile:

Thanks for the advice though ^^

Yeah like that's going to happen :rolleyes:
Original post by oli_G
For January exams you put March, for June exams you put August :yep:

Original post by chiny94
Ah, actually I didn't think about this! I finished my GCSE maths a year early too... Hmmm I guess I'll just put it as when I've been certified for that (as in a year earlier than other GCSEs!)

:cry2: I hope it counts, imagine if I didn't fit the GCSE maths requirements. I'd be rejected without interview EVERYWHERE :lolwut:
Reply 7998
x
I don't personally think it's worth the risk with kings, seeing as I was pretty much told by the admissions guy that they are using the ukcat more and more strongly nowadays (ranking applicants by it). Your ukcat score is fine though and definitely enough for almost anywhere so don't worry!
Reply 7999
Original post by Boom533

I think St. George's is one!

Latest

Trending

Trending