The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Octopus_Garden
I have no idea how they came across the ad. Procrastinating by means of you-tube, maybe?

Haa right! anyhooo I have seen many of your posts on here :colondollar: It seems to me that you are very serious about language learning and really know your stuff! :tongue: So quite frankly, how is it possible you got a D instead of an A for your AS German? Was it a technical screw up by AQA, oder?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by thatitootoo
Haa right! anyhooo I have seen many of your posts on here :colondollar: It seems to me that you are very serious about language learning and really know your stuff! :tongue: So quite frankly, how is it possible you got a D instead of an A for your AS German? Was it a technical screw up by AQA, oder?

Yeah, my tutor didn't believe it either. She requested the script back immediately, without telling me! It wasn't a screw-up. It wasn't even michael gove's fault. I got the result I deserved.
My responses to the questions in section A ranged from wonderful to acceptable. Then came section B- the 35 mark essay question...

It turned out that I sorta misread a couple of vital words on my essay question. The resulting essay answered the opposite of what I had actually been asked! I got 10 marks for it out of 35. End result overall for that was a C

Oh, and I am not a natural linguist- speaking is my worst point. I was hoping for a C on the speaking exam. That day, I had a stonking cold, and I thus went down to an E.

Adds up to a D.
Yeah, my tutor didn't believe it either. She requested the script back immediately, without telling me! It wasn't a screw-up. It wasn't even michael gove's fault. I got the result I deserved.
My responses to the questions in section A ranged from wonderful to acceptable. Then came section B- the 35 mark essay question...

It turned out that I sorta misread a couple of vital words on my essay question. The resulting essay answered the opposite of what I had actually been asked! I got 10 marks for it out of 35. End result overall for that was a C

Oh, and I am not a natural linguist- speaking is my worst point. I was hoping for a C on the speaking exam. That day, I had a stonking cold, and I thus went down to an E.

Adds up to a D.

wow! That just bad luck :frown: Goes to shows how these things can really happen to anyone! (except from the small percentage of native German speakers who can probably complete the oral element in their sleep) lol

Well I take it the marks you did get on the essay were thanks to the 'quality of language' types of assessment objectives.
a D at AS is still good, for a language you could barely speak a year ago! :tongue: Though, I'm sure you will be retaking it alongside your A2 this (academic) year.
Any exams in January??:smile:

Ach, eine Sprache lebt. Jedoch spreche und schreibe ich als ob ich eine Mauer aus Lego mache! Ich kann oft Grammatik gut verstehen, aber das ist nicht genug.

Mein Aufsatz hat einen wunderbaren Anfang gehabt, aber ich hat auch sechs (?) bekommt, denn meine Punkte waren nicht relevant. Ich mache im Allgemeinen zu viel zickige Fehler. Es gibt wahrscheinlich zehn oder zwanzig hier!

Die nächste AS-Prüfung ist im Januar. Ich werde wahrscheinlich schlechter tun! Ah well. Nothing worthwhile (like being bilingual) comes without working for it.
Reply 384
I'm doing 3 languages at the moment, french, spanish and portuguese and im hoping to pursue 2 at university.

Spanish I got an A, managed to rack up 178/200, gonna retake it to get at least 90% for an A*
Portuguese I got an A but missed out by 2 marks 100%, 198/200, yet I really do not understand the variations of brazilian portuguese, portuguese and angolan portuguese being included. This new ortographic agreement is ridiculous as well, so bear in mind if you do portuguese.

French is where I got my lowest grade, missed an A by 2 marks 158/200, but im retaking it next june to improve it.

To be honest, languages were the right choice for me as I've wasted a year doing sciences before.
Ach, eine Sprache lebt. Jedoch spreche und schreibe ich als ob ich eine Mauer aus Lego mache! Ich kann oft Grammatik gut verstehen, aber das ist nicht genug.

Mein Aufsatz hat einen wunderbaren Anfang gehabt, aber ich hat auch sechs (?) bekommt, denn meine Punkte waren nicht relevant. Ich mache im Allgemeinen zu viel zickige Fehler. Es gibt wahrscheinlich zehn oder zwanzig hier!

Die nächste AS-Prüfung ist im Januar. Ich werde wahrscheinlich schlechter tun! Ah well. Nothing worthwhile (like being bilingual) comes without working for it.

Ehe yeah I get the gist of you were saying, Also es scheint mir ganz (korrekt?)! :tongue:
& I'm with you on that! I could easily make sense of German sentences in written form, but when spoken, it's all/mostly Greek to me!:frown:

I'm still fantasizing about the day Gove will replace the current exam system with a 100% written translation based exam for all MFLs! ;d But I can see other people finding that dire...lol

I guess you've just resat the exam last week, more luck this time round?:wink:
Ich weiss nicht! Das Sprache-Test war nicht gut, aber ich habe besser geworden. Folglich hoffe ich, dass ich einen D bekommen werden! Die große Prüfung (70 Prozent von dem AS-Grad) hat ziemlich leicht geschienen. Entweder habe ich ganze falsche Antworten geschrieben oder ich werde den B, den ich will, bekommen! Vielleicht werde ich meinen AS Grad C bekommen. Vielleicht nicht!
*Sprechen-Test
Ich weiss nicht! Das Sprache-Test war nicht gut, aber ich habe besser geworden. Folglich hoffe ich, dass ich einen D bekommen werden! Die große Prüfung (70 Prozent von dem AS-Grad) hat ziemlich leicht geschienen. Entweder habe ich ganze falsche Antworten geschrieben oder ich werde den B, den ich will, bekommen! Vielleicht werde ich meinen AS Grad C bekommen. Vielleicht nicht!

Ich denke, dass du dich ueberraschen werden im Maerz!;p
You'll be fineeee....Or else there wouldn't be any hope for the rest of us! haha

ohh and I don't know whether this is limited to Dutch but in Dutch "have become" is expressed as "am become" i.e. "ben geworden" intead of the literal translation "heb geworden"
I don't know if it's the same in Geman with "bin geworden" instead of "habe geworden" thoughhhhh :P
I should have put "werden" at the end of my sentence, followed by "soll"! And use "glaube" instead of "denke" Ohh the crimes I have just committed! What was I thinking...:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Du hast recht. Es ist "bin geworden"!

Ich hatte auch noch eine Erkaltung während des Sprechentest!
Du hast recht. Es ist "bin geworden"!

Ich hatte auch noch eine Erkaltung während des Sprechentest!

Woo, finally my knowledge of Dutch proves useful for something! =L ]
and no way!? unglaublich!!! This cold of yours seems to creep up during the most inconvenient moments! Perhaps you should use that to your advantage and consider learning an even more guttural language such as Danish or Dutch instead of French :wink: lols
Well, Danish is next on the list! Well, joint next with Welsh.
Well, Danish is next on the list! Well, joint next with Welsh.

Welsh!? Wieso??? :O
Original post by thatitootoo
Ehe yeah I get the gist of you were saying, Also es scheint mir ganz (korrekt?)! :tongue:
& I'm with you on that! I could easily make sense of German sentences in written form, but when spoken, it's all/mostly Greek to me!:frown:

I'm still fantasizing about the day Gove will replace the current exam system with a 100% written translation based exam for all MFLs! ;d But I can see other people finding that dire...lol

I guess you've just resat the exam last week, more luck this time round?:wink:

Noooooo, translation only test would be awful. Sounds like the system they have in Japan now and it means the kids have extremely poor communication ability.
Walisisch klingt schön! Das VK hat mehr als eine Sprache. Daher scheint es albern mir, dass ich nur Sprache von dem europäischen Festland lernen.

Welsh sounds beautiful. The UK has more than one language, so it seems silly to me that I am only learning languages from mainland Europe.
Original post by jamiepango
Missed an A originally by one mark, went up by 4 :biggrin:

My standard isn't that high, but I do speak Cantonese at home to my parents from since I was born so I guess that helped. When I then went to nursery I would know no English at all but you quickly pick it up. Then it's a case of keeping up your Cantonese by watching Hong Kong dramas at home which I guess is the "secret" haha.

I want to learn Mandarin as well, but no time...

How is your Dutch going?

Didn't do Mandarin, did Cantonese :biggrin: But high five anyway xD

if youve been speaking since you're born then technically it is your first language alongside english if you learnt them both. English may be your 'native' as you were born here etc ...
I'd love to learn Japanese, Dutch, Chinese or even Latin, but my school unfortunately only offers French and German. However, I'm hoping to pick up a new language at university.
Reply 398
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I'd love to learn Japanese, Dutch, Chinese or even Latin, but my school unfortunately only offers French and German. However, I'm hoping to pick up a new language at university.

Hey! :biggrin: I'd also love to learn Japanese! Do you want to study it together? I'm looking for a 'study buddy', I'm hoping it'll make the learning easier :biggrin: Also, I'm dutch, so maybe I can help you with that! :biggrin:
Klingon got an A in it :laugh:

More seriously is Portuguese not as common? If so then i got a B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending