The Student Room Group

Doing GCSEs early?

Hi, I have a couple of questions surrounding doing GCSEs early. I’m in year 9 and receive 100% in all my French, Spanish and Latin tests, and know almost everything in the whole Y9 courses despite only being two months in. I’m hoping to start doing Y10 work for these subjects as the work is far too easy for me. This would lead to me doing those GCSEs early, which is why I’m asking:
1. Do GCSEs done early still count? (Conflicting information online)
2. If I do my language GCSEs at the end of Y10, can I start doing A Level work and get my A-Levels at the end of Y11 or 12? And if so would those A Levels count?
Thanks!
Original post by indali
Hi, I have a couple of questions surrounding doing GCSEs early. I’m in year 9 and receive 100% in all my French, Spanish and Latin tests, and know almost everything in the whole Y9 courses despite only being two months in. I’m hoping to start doing Y10 work for these subjects as the work is far too easy for me. This would lead to me doing those GCSEs early, which is why I’m asking:
2. If I do my language GCSEs at the end of Y10, can I start doing A Level work and get my A-Levels at the end of Y11 or 12? And if so would those A Levels count?
Thanks!

I would do things normally just so there is less pressure on yourself. You are more likely to do better that way.
Original post by indali
Thanks!

I mean it's possible to take GCSEs early but there isn't loads of benefit even if they do still count. What I'd advise, and what I did, is to sit the exams at normal time and just learn the content earlier. You can learn A-Level content and use it to do really well at GCSE. Then, when you start your A-Levels, you'd be really far ahead. Languages (at least modern languages, I didn't do any Classical Languages at GCSE) are one of the subjects for which the A-Level content won't contradict the GCSE; for example, as in Chemistry, where an A-Level answer, whilst correct, may not be accepted at GCSE.

Also taking A-Levels early is generally not advised, as universities often ask for three A-Levels in one sitting. Doing them early may count against you in that regard, and doing them over three years rather than two may also be a bad look.

Quick Reply

Latest