The Student Room Group

psychology and linguistics for ucl and edinburgh

i got offers from both ucl and edinburgh for psychology and linguistics. Well in ucl its called psychology and language sciences. I was wondering which school is better reputation- wise. Also edinburgh doesn't seem to be as more of a modern place as london is. Is that true?

ucl doesn't seem all that famous world- wide where as edinburgh is well- known all around the world because of its history. can anyone help me into deciding where to go??? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by oliverhoong
i got offers from both ucl and edinburgh for psychology and linguistics. Well in ucl its called psychology and language sciences. I was wondering which school is better reputation- wise. Also edinburgh doesn't seem to be as more of a modern place as london is. Is that true?

ucl doesn't seem all that famous world- wide where as edinburgh is well- known all around the world because of its history. can anyone help me into deciding where to go??? :s-smilie:

I can't really speak for Psychology, but from the linguistics side of things I think you wouldn't make any mistake with either! They're both known as having some of the best linguists and teaching in linguistics in Britain. Also I am fairly certain that both should be well known around the world, as they both constantly feature in the upper parts of international league tables and especially so within Europe, though I think UCL actually has a slight "edge" in these. But as you say, Edinburgh is maybe as a name more commonly recognised at least with people from outside academia, if that is what you are concerned about. (Within I am pretty sure everybody knows either of them!).

Really, just see which program and place you think would fit you best. I don't think you can do wrong career-wise or academically with either choice!
Reply 2
thanks for your advice!!!!

but which uni would have an edge in terms of employment???
Reply 3
Original post by oliverhoong
which uni would have an edge in terms of employment???

IMHO, both do. :smile:
Reply 4
Hi!

I've got offers from UCL and Edinburgh as well for masters courses in psycholinguistics - for this year! i just came across your message and wondered which institution you ended up choosing?? And how did you like it? have to make my decision really soon, so any advice is much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending