The Student Room Group

Canadian Student planning on applying to UK medical schools

Hey Guys,

I have recently realized my desire to get into medicine and have looked quite seriously at schools in the UK (for a multitude of different reasons). Unfortunately since meds wasn't my goal from the beginning I'm worried that my marks/achievements will not be sufficient. I've noticed that some of the schools have requirements for high school marks, so to be thorough I will include that in the discussion. In high school I had 93% avg (with all the core courses being around that mark), in undergrad I had a GPA of 3.4/4.3 (this is the worrisome part, not the most competitive) and I just completed an MSc in Chem with a 4.3/4.3. Now I'm not sure that the uni's take grad marks (and publications into account). Does anyone know the answer to that? Or whether these marks give me any chance in hell of reaching my goal?

P.s. I know that I still have to write the UKCAT or BMAT for some of these schools, and that is something I have signed up for.

Cheers,
V
Reply 1
Hey so you have already missed the deadline for this year, so the earliest you can start is September 2013 which is a while away.

Most schools in the UK will look at all your grades but since you already have an undergrad and post-grad degree, those grades will get more weight.

Most schools have grad entry programs but since you are considered international, you wont be eligible to apply for many of them them (although there are several that accept internationals). The one you can apply for however is Warwick GEP. This is where you would have a great chance because the entire class is graduate entry.

Another is Birmingham, where they will only look at your high school marks. Having 93% along with post-high school experience should give you a good shot but remember that they reject a lot of people. This year alone I have seen two people with 95% averages get rejected. Its super competitive, but that is to be expected.

You've got lots of time left so just scour this website and do your research, contact schools, etc

Remember you only have to write the bmat if you actually want to apply to bmat schools (oxford/cambridge/ucl/imperial) otherwise you should be fine with the ukcat. Also, some schools may require you write the GAMSAT (St.Georges)

So yeah, just do your research and good luck in your application (which is still quite a few months away).

Edit: Also, since you already have a bachelors and masters, you should remember that medical school in the UK is minimum of 4+2=6 years if you go the graduate route or 5+2=7 years if you go the normal route. This is just for your basic training...after this you specialize which can take anywhere from 3-7 years (often more).

So that is something to keep in mind. It's a long haul so you have to be realistically ready for such an endeavor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
Hey so you have already missed the deadline for this year, so the earliest you can start is September 2013 which is a while away.

Most schools in the UK will look at all your grades but since you already have an undergrad and post-grad degree, those grades will get more weight.

Most schools have grad entry programs but since you are considered international, you wont be eligible to apply for many of them them (although there are several that accept internationals). The one you can apply for however is Warwick GEP. This is where you would have a great chance because the entire class is graduate entry.

Another is Birmingham, where they will only look at your high school marks. Having 93% along with post-high school experience should give you a good shot but remember that they reject a lot of people. This year alone I have seen two people with 95% averages get rejected. Its super competitive, but that is to be expected.

You've got lots of time left so just scour this website and do your research, contact schools, etc

Remember you only have to write the bmat if you actually want to apply to bmat schools (oxford/cambridge/ucl/imperial) otherwise you should be fine with the ukcat. Also, some schools may require you write the GAMSAT (St.Georges)

So yeah, just do your research and good luck in your application (which is still quite a few months away).

Edit: Also, since you already have a bachelors and masters, you should remember that medical school in the UK is minimum of 4+2=6 years if you go the graduate route or 5+2=7 years if you go the normal route. This is just for your basic training...after this you specialize which can take anywhere from 3-7 years (often more).

So that is something to keep in mind. It's a long haul so you have to be realistically ready for such an endeavor.

These 2 years technically don't count as they're paid employment, once you've qualified as a doctor. After F1, however, you do get your full registration with the GMC.
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod
These 2 years technically don't count as they're paid employment, once you've qualified as a doctor. After F1, however, you do get your full registration with the GMC.

Oh okay thanks for clarifying that. So I have a question...after completing medical school you're a doctor so are the F1/F2 years necessary? What is the purpose behind them? Why can't we just apply for specialties after medical school? It's like they force you to work for crappy pay for two years when you can be using that time to apply to specialties.

Sorry it just little confusing to me because I am used to the north american system.

Edit: Thanks for the neg idiot. I was asking a question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
Oh okay thanks for clarifying that. So I have a question...after completing medical school you're a doctor so are the F1/F2 years necessary? What is the purpose behind them? Why can't we just apply for specialties after medical school? It's like they force you to work for crappy pay for two years when you can be using that time to apply to specialties.

Sorry it just little confusing to me because I am used to the north american system.

Don't quote me on this:

- Foundation years are essential. This is where you usually have blocks of 3 (AFAIK) months in a specific specialty, (minimum1 block in medicine and surgery each), most likely so you have a (somewhat) informed decision when applying for specialty places in specialty training.

- You have provisional GMC licence in F1, so you pretty much have to get everything checked out by your seniors. After F1, you get full registration with the GMC, so you are (somewhat) more independent of your seniors.

- AFAIK, there is no way of avoiding foundation training - as they're foundation training years :tongue:
Reply 5
Thanks for the response .eXe. I totally seemed to have missed Warwick, thank you for bringing that to my attention. My undergrad was not as strong as I had hoped which is why I'm trying to determine whether the grad courses will contribute to admissions at all.

Are you in one of the programs or planning on applying?
Reply 6
Original post by ZloV
Thanks for the response .eXe. I totally seemed to have missed Warwick, thank you for bringing that to my attention. My undergrad was not as strong as I had hoped which is why I'm trying to determine whether the grad courses will contribute to admissions at all.

Are you in one of the programs or planning on applying?

No worries mate, and next time please quote me so I get notified that you've replied :smile: otherwise I cant tell if you post on the thread. It's alright if your undergrad wasn't super strong because they consider all your marks. Some schools will specifically be more interested in your high school marks while others will look at everything. I can't stress enough how important it is that you contact schools early and figure out their exact criteria. I find that sending the schools an email and explaining your situation does well.

And I am an applicant this year. Have a few interviews lined up, hopefully they will go well :smile: I also have an undergrad degree and I am applying as an international candidate from Canada :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by .eXe
No worries mate, and next time please quote me so I get notified that you've replied :smile: otherwise I cant tell if you post on the thread. It's alright if your undergrad wasn't super strong because they consider all your marks. Some schools will specifically be more interested in your high school marks while others will look at everything. I can't stress enough how important it is that you contact schools early and figure out their exact criteria. I find that sending the schools an email and explaining your situation does well.

And I am an applicant this year. Have a few interviews lined up, hopefully they will go well :smile: I also have an undergrad degree and I am applying as an international candidate from Canada :smile:

Thank you for all the input. I've definitely started emailing a lot of the unis to get as much information as possible. There is always a little extra that you can get out of them that isn't presented on the websites.

That's awesome buddy! Seems like going to the UK to study wouldn't be so foreign with all the Canadians that attend British medical schools--we can make a little Canada lol. Well best of luck on the interviews!
Reply 8
Hey

There are quite a few canadians students at the University of Birmingham- i think about 8. I know 1 of them did do 2 years of physiology at McMaster so I could ask her what her grades were like for the 2 years and see if Birmingham looked at her grades with regards to her application.

I know a lot of canadians chose birmingham because it had one of the lowest international fees compared to the london unis or scotland ones so that might be something to take into consideration.

Let me know if you have any questions, I can always ask my canadian friends for answers.
Reply 9
Original post by -steph-
Hey

There are quite a few canadians students at the University of Birmingham- i think about 8. I know 1 of them did do 2 years of physiology at McMaster so I could ask her what her grades were like for the 2 years and see if Birmingham looked at her grades with regards to her application.

I know a lot of canadians chose birmingham because it had one of the lowest international fees compared to the london unis or scotland ones so that might be something to take into consideration.

Let me know if you have any questions, I can always ask my canadian friends for answers.

I'm sorry for the late reply but I have been away for a few months. That would actually be phenomenal if the offer still stands! So she did a two year MSc in physiology at McMaster?

My main question, which was kind of answered earlier but I would like more clarification on, is whether the graduate marks take a little more precedent over the undergraduate marks. Much appreciated!
Reply 10
Hi I'm currently in my 4th year of an undergraduate degree. I am using these marks to apply. Do I have to include all my secondary (high school) marks as well? My university grades are better than my high school grades. I'm hoping to not have to include the high school grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending