The Student Room Group

FP1 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
The Mechanics modules do get progressively more difficult but not massively.... it is just more Mechanics.

Self teaching D1 and D2 is not easy because it is actually very difficult to learn algorithms that are written down, it is far easier when they are demonstrated by example. However, they are nice modules and pretty interesting. Mathematicians love the abstract beauty of Mathematics, but Decision is the most modern and relevant Mathematics you are ever likely to do.

The new D1 and D2 text books are okay but have loads of mistakes in the solutions; hopefully, they have corrected them in the very latest editions.

If you are going to do D1, I would definitely recommend doing D2.

learning 7 modules for exams this summer is a lot to take on but certainly plausible.

C1-C4 have to be used in A2 Maths. You can only use an applied '2' module in A2 Maths if you use the same '1' module i.e. you can only use M2 because you are also using M1. You can not use M1 and D2.

Your remaining modules can be used however you like for the two further Maths awards.

So if you get 270-300 from any A2 units you only need 180-210 in any of the other 3 units for your A*. So you can afford to learn a couple of chapters of M5, enough to get 30 UMS say, without affecting your A*. Then providing you get 240 from the other 3 modules, you will get an A in AS additional Further Maths.

Have a look at the dates of the exams, you may be able to afford to leave any studying of one module until your other modules are completed.

What did you get in C1-C4 M1-M2?

I would advise that you get your centre to re-cash in your A2 Maths award this year, this will free up M1-M2 to be used in your FM qualifications. I am guessing that you got pretty close to 400 in C1-C4, if so, learn S1 properly to ensure that you can get enough marks to take you over the 480 using just C1-C4 and S1, that way you can roll up to S2, put your name on the paper and doodle for an hour and still get your A*. Which means you wouldn't need to spend any time learning S2 at all.

In other words you can complete your remaining 7 modules but only have to learn 5 properly (just learn S2 and M5 the day before the exam) and still get A* A* and an A in AS additional FM.

Does this make sense?
Original post by Arsey
The Mechanics modules do get progressively more difficult but not massively.... it is just more Mechanics.

Self teaching D1 and D2 is not easy because it is actually very difficult to learn algorithms that are written down, it is far easier when they are demonstrated by example. However, they are nice modules and pretty interesting. Mathematicians love the abstract beauty of Mathematics, but Decision is the most modern and relevant Mathematics you are ever likely to do.

The new D1 and D2 text books are okay but have loads of mistakes in the solutions; hopefully, they have corrected them in the very latest editions.

If you are going to do D1, I would definitely recommend doing D2.

learning 7 modules for exams this summer is a lot to take on but certainly plausible.

C1-C4 have to be used in A2 Maths. You can only use an applied '2' module in A2 Maths if you use the same '1' module i.e. you can only use M2 because you are also using M1. You can not use M1 and D2.

Your remaining modules can be used however you like for the two further Maths awards.

So if you get 270-300 from any A2 units you only need 180-210 in any of the other 3 units for your A*. So you can afford to learn a couple of chapters of M5, enough to get 30 UMS say, without affecting your A*. Then providing you get 240 from the other 3 modules, you will get an A in AS additional Further Maths.

Have a look at the dates of the exams, you may be able to afford to leave any studying of one module until your other modules are completed.

What did you get in C1-C4 M1-M2?

I would advise that you get your centre to re-cash in your A2 Maths award this year, this will free up M1-M2 to be used in your FM qualifications. I am guessing that you got pretty close to 400 in C1-C4, if so, learn S1 properly to ensure that you can get enough marks to take you over the 480 using just C1-C4 and S1, that way you can roll up to S2, put your name on the paper and doodle for an hour and still get your A*. Which means you wouldn't need to spend any time learning S2 at all.

In other words you can complete your remaining 7 modules but only have to learn 5 properly (just learn S2 and M5 the day before the exam) and still get A* A* and an A in AS additional FM.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your reply. :smile:
Your advice is clearly understandable.
Here are my marks:
A-LEVEL MATHS:
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
C3 98/100
C4 96/100 TOTAL OF CORE UNITS: 385/400
M1 100/100
M2 90/100
TOTAL 575/100
IN jan 2012 i took the following exams:
FP1: EXPECTING 100/100
M3: EXPECTING 95/100

So what i made of your post is:
My A-level maths should be:
C1-4 AND S1-2
The other 9 units should be for further maths. I don't understand how my units will be differentiated for further maths and further maths additional.
Can my further maths be:
M1 - M5 AND FP1 If this is the case then will i require 270/300 in my best three A2 units for A*?
My further maths additional should be:
D1, FP2 AND FP3.
Do i need to do distinguish the units for further maths and AS additional further maths or will they automatically be selected(i.e. the best A2 units being added to further maths to give me an A*).

I was also considering to appear for AEA(advanced extension award). What i know about AEA is that it is a challenging version of C1-4 papers combined, is this correct?

As you said that D1 is hard to self-study, do you know any good resources for D1?
I found www.examsolutions.co.uk very helpful for M1, but don't know about any good resource for D1.

I just want to ask about another combination of qualifications. If someone has done C1-4 and M1-2 and then he decides to take FP1 and FP2 exam then will he get two qualification(A-level maths and A-level pure maths) or one. e.g. A person took C1-4 and M1-2 in his first year and got the result for it. He has now done the qualification A-level maths. In the second year he decides to take FP1 and FP2 exams, now when he gets his final result then will FP1 and FP2 be considered as individual units or A-level pure mathematics qualification.

Thanks in advance
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
-

I have a question concerning the dilemma im currently in:

I've decided now that I want to do FM (whole A-Level). Although since its too late to self-teach all three modules for FM AS ive decided to only complete two modules this year out of (FP1, S1, D1) and then take the remaining modules during my A2 year. At the moment I'm currently studying C2 and M1 for AS maths and taking these two exams in may.

Which two modules out of FP1, S1, D1 would you recommend to self teach and take the exam for them this summer? I can't take three as I mentioned previously that the workload would probably be too much considering I have alot of work to do for my other subjects aswell, that is why im only considering two modules this year and the remaining in my A2 year as I can use the summer to learn them.

I've heard D1 is easy so that may be an option although whats your input on my situation? I need to make a decision as soon as possible as its getting quite late.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Arsey
Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial have the best reputations for Mathematics. However, I think the Maths department at Birmingham is excellent.

I'm applying for econ :smile: but the hierarchy is roughly similar, I think.
Reply 184
Original post by raheem94
Here are my marks:
A-LEVEL MATHS:
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
C3 98/100
M1 100/100
M2 90/100
TOTAL 575/100

C1-4 AND S1-2
The other 9 units should be for further maths. I don't understand how my units will be differentiated for further maths and further maths additional.
Can my further maths be:
M1 - M5 AND FP1 If this is the case then will i require 270/300 in my best three A2 units for A*?
D1, FP2 AND FP3.
Do i need to do distinguish the units for further maths and AS additional further maths or will they automatically be selected(i.e. the best A2 units being added to further maths to give me an A*).

I was also considering to appear for AEA(advanced extension award). What i know about AEA is that it is a challenging version of C1-4 papers combined, is this correct?

As you said that D1 is hard to self-study, do you know any good resources for D1?
I found www.examsolutions.co.uk very helpful for M1, but don't know about any good resource for D1.

I just want to ask about another combination of qualifications. If someone has done C1-4 and M1-2 and then he decides to take FP1 and FP2 exam then will he get two qualification(A-level maths and A-level pure maths) or one. e.g. A person took C1-4 and M1-2 in his first year and got the result for it. He has now done the qualification A-level maths. In the second year he decides to take FP1 and FP2 exams, now when he gets his final result then will FP1 and FP2 be considered as individual units or A-level pure mathematics qualification.

Thanks in advance

For Further Maths and Further Maths Additional, I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide which modules you want to use for which qualification. Your modules are automatically ordered in such a way so that you can be given the best possible result for each. For example, it's possible that my combination could be:

Maths: C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D2
Further Maths: M4 M5 FP1 FP3 S3 S4
Further Maths (Additional): M1 M2 M3 S1 S2 FP2

MyMaths.co.uk is good for D1.

Yes, AEA is a mixture of C1-C4 material but contains longer, slightly harder questions than you'd get in one of those papers. Sort of like a mid-point between A-level Maths and STEP.
Original post by Zhy
For Further Maths and Further Maths Additional, I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide which modules you want to use for which qualification. Your modules are automatically ordered in such a way so that you can be given the best possible result for each. For example, it's possible that my combination could be:

Yes, AEA is a mixture of C1-C4 material but contains longer, slightly harder questions than you'd get in one of those papers. Sort of like a mid-point between A-level Maths and STEP.

Thanks for your reply.
http://www.mymaths.co.uk/
Can the above website be subscribed by students.
Thanks for your reply.
http://www.mymaths.co.uk/
Can the above website be subscribed by students.

Your school pays for it. D1 can definitely be taught by the book btw.
Original post by Extricated
Your school pays for it. D1 can definitely be taught by the book btw.

Have you self-studied D1? If yes, then how much did you score?
My school probably won't subscribe to the site.
Reply 188

I'm currently self-studying via MyMaths, going to sit it in June along with a crapload of modules. If your school has a MyMaths account, or if you know someone who has one, use it. It makes the unit possible to cover in the span of a single day, potentially.
Original post by Zhy
I'm currently self-studying via MyMaths, going to sit it in June along with a crapload of modules. If your school has a MyMaths account, or if you know someone who has one, use it. It makes the unit possible to cover in the span of a single day, potentially.

I self studied D1, and it was pretty straight forward. Mymaths in my experience is pretty terrible, but that just might be the way that I like learning.
Reply 190
Original post by Beresford George
I self studied D1, and it was pretty straight forward. Mymaths in my experience is pretty terrible, but that just might be the way that I like learning.

Why did you think it was terrible? There are quite a few errors when it comes to the homeworks and questions they set, but given that I didn't have access to any textbooks when I had to study M1/S1, it was extremely useful. Although it does lack rigorous exercises (2-question homeworks) and not a lot of variation. It also doesn't seem to cover the specification sufficiently at times.

Self studied it and took the exam in January. The book is quite good at teaching, apart from the fact that a lot of the answers at the back are wrong. I just learned the concepts and did the past papers. D1 is one of those modules that you have to draw everything out if you don't have the additional sheets. I know you don't do past papers much but for D1 you will need to.
Original post by Extricated
Self studied it and took the exam in January. The book is quite good at teaching, apart from the fact that a lot of the answers at the back are wrong. I just learned the concepts and did the past papers. D1 is one of those modules that you have to draw everything out if you don't have the additional sheets. I know you don't do past papers much but for D1 you will need to.

Thanks for your advice.
I didn't understood what did you meant by the text in red, what are the additional sheets?
Reply 193
Thanks for your advice.
I didn't understood what did you meant by the text in red, what are the additional sheets?

In the D1 exam, you get an answer booklet. For example, Dijkstra's algorithm would be a pain in the ass to draw out, so they've drawn one for you to fill in. Same for things like the bubble sort and other algorithms. It's separate from the question booklet, I think.
Thanks for your advice.

Like D1 is not similar to other maths modules. Everything is based on drawing out networks and finding shortest routes from A to B :

http://www.york.cuny.edu/~malk/geometricstructures/2011-set%20E5.jpg

Something like the above.

The D1 book has examples and questions which you will need to copy out whereas in the exam you have the networks drawn out for you and you just add the numbers in. I would recommend learning content, printing past papers and you're done!
Reply 195
Here are my marks:
A-LEVEL MATHS:
C1 97/100
C2 94/100
C3 98/100
M1 100/100
M2 90/100
TOTAL 575/100

C1-4 AND S1-2
Can my further maths be:
D1, FP2 AND FP3.

Thanks in advance

Firstly, well done on your results so far.

You can not use the same units to claim didn't awards. Once they have been claimed they are dead. So you can not use C1-C4 M1-M2 for A2 Maths and then C1-C4 FP1-FP2 for A2 Pure. The only way of doing this would be to do Edexcel for A2 Maths and another board for A2 Pure.

Not sure of other resources for D1, MyMaths isn't great for D1, text book is okay but it would be hard going. However, you can get away with not learning any Decision Maths

However, you already have an A* from C1-C4 and M1. You are already 5 UMS over what you need. Therefore you can take the D1 exam, write your name on the paper and sit back and chill.

That will free up M2 to be used in one of your further awards.

So your remaining modules that have not been claimed will be

M2, M3, M4, M5, FP1, FP2, FP3, S2, S3

You need 180 or more in any two (apart from FP1) to combine with your 90 in M2 for 270 - 290 UMS, you will then need a further 190-210 in 3 more units to claim and A* in A2 Further Maths.

What ever is left can be used to claim for AS Additional Further

One example might be

M2 - 90
M3 - 95
M4 - 95
FP1 - 100
S2 - 100
M5 - 0

480 and 270 or more in 3 A2 units = A* A2 Futher Maths. With no learning of M5.

FP2 - 90
FP3 - 90
S3 - 60

240 UMS = A AS Additional Further
Reply 196
If you get the D1 text book it comes with a Disc and all of the necessary diagrams are included in printable worksheets.
Reply 197

I am sure there are stacks of people on here who wouldn't mind sending you a PM with their school's username and password to MyMaths.

Not that I would advocate such outrageous behaviour.
Original post by Arsey
Firstly, well done on your results so far.

You can not use the same units to claim didn't awards. Once they have been claimed they are dead. So you can not use C1-C4 M1-M2 for A2 Maths and then C1-C4 FP1-FP2 for A2 Pure. The only way of doing this would be to do Edexcel for A2 Maths and another board for A2 Pure.

Not sure of other resources for D1, MyMaths isn't great for D1, text book is okay but it would be hard going. However, you can get away with not learning any Decision Maths

However, you already have an A* from C1-C4 and M1. You are already 5 UMS over what you need. Therefore you can take the D1 exam, write your name on the paper and sit back and chill.

That will free up M2 to be used in one of your further awards.

So your remaining modules that have not been claimed will be

M2, M3, M4, M5, FP1, FP2, FP3, S2, S3

You need 180 or more in any two (apart from FP1) to combine with your 90 in M2 for 270 - 290 UMS, you will then need a further 190-210 in 3 more units to claim and A* in A2 Further Maths.

What ever is left can be used to claim for AS Additional Further

One example might be

M2 - 90
M3 - 95
M4 - 95
FP1 - 100
S2 - 100
M5 - 0

480 and 270 or more in 3 A2 units = A* A2 Futher Maths. With no learning of M5.

FP2 - 90
FP3 - 90
S3 - 60

240 UMS = A AS Additional Further

Very much thanks for your appreciation:smile: and reply.
Just one thing i didn't understood, that the 9 units(M2, M3, M4, M5, FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2) which i will take for further maths and additional further maths be sorted by me or will they be automatically sorted to give me the best possible outcome?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 199
Original post by Zhy

this man knows

It is automatic and priority is given to A2 FM. However, not to the extent that they try to get the highest UMS as possible. Once you have enough UMS for your AS they will put the higher scoring modules into Additional AS. Basically, they work it out for you so that you get the best possible combination of grades.

However, you can direct which modules are to be used for what qualification retrospectively, so for example, if your Uni offer was based on FM and not Maths, you can retrospectively state which units are to be used for which qualification so that you achieve the higher grade in FM.

One final point, and this is really important, if you take AS FM and AS Maths in Y12, and then continue with both on to A2. Your centre MUST! request a cash in for AS Maths, A2 Maths, AS FM and A2 FM. Otherwise the units claimed at AS will be locked down for that qualification at A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending