The Student Room Group

FP1 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by NickApollon
86ums-how much would it be from 75 according to the boundaries??

Difficult to say but i think it will be in the range of 65-69.
hmm
I swear this was the easiest maths paper I have ever sat. One thing that nearly caught me out was that it asked you to used Newton-Raphson twice.

Aww, come on guys, it's an opinion. I didn't say that it definitely was easy but it was slightly simpler to me than the paper which had a bit of coordinate geometry of a circle in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Arsey

Don't you need the equation of the directrix? Eg x +4 =0?
Reply 44
Original post by Jorgeyy

Original post by Jorgeyy
Thanks for staying up :smile:

Got 100% apart from 9C, I knew I could have done it (worked out after exam) but after starting off at the wrong point and only going back to that point, rather than considering a new starting point meant I was never going to get it!

I hope I get at least 1/4 for my 2 pages of scribbles giving me 72/75 :smile:

Exactly the same story here. I got to the line about p^2y + 6p = q^2y + 6q, then just didn't know where to go... now that I see it, it's not that difficult! D:
Reply 45
Original post by JOR2010
Don't you need the equation of the directrix? Eg x +4 =0?

x=-4 and x+4 = 0 is the same. both involve and EQUAL sign hence both are equations
Reply 46
Original post by fruktas

Original post by fruktas
x=-4 and x+4 = 0 is the same. both involve and EQUAL sign hence both are equations

I guess so, but I thought it would have to be given like in the textbook. Sure thing, though.
Reply 47
Original post by Edwin Okli
I swear this was the easiest maths paper I have ever sat. One thing that nearly caught me out was that it asked you to used Newton-Raphson twice.

Aww, come on guys, it's an opinion. I didn't say that it definitely was easy but it was slightly simpler to me than the paper which had a bit of coordinate geometry of a circle in it.

I came out of my exam and said exactly that! Edexcel make such easy papers that every tiny mistake in number manipulations costs you loads of ums.

Thank god I made no mistakes haha
Reply 48
Don't think I made any mistakes, apart from maybe getting 0.725 instead of 0.724 for Newton-Raphson. Does it matter if you rounded to 3.d.p. after you found your first value? Will they maybe say "0.724 (accept 0.725)"?
(edited 12 years ago)

Arsey for the matrix, if I found A^2 and then multiplied the inverse of this by A to get the same answer but with a factor of a quarter as opposes to a half (I.e the equivalent) will I still get the marks?
For the last last question. I worked out the correct coordinate of q, and plugged it back in to find x, but I think I factored 6p and forgot to factor it back in :/ How many marks do you reckon I would loose?
Original post by anuradha_d
Arsey for the matrix, if I found A^2 and then multiplied the inverse of this by A to get the same answer but with a factor of a quarter as opposes to a half (I.e the equivalent) will I still get the marks?

yeah i did the exact same
Original post by Zhy
Don't think I made any mistakes, apart from maybe getting 0.725 instead of 0.724 for Newton-Raphson. Does it matter if you rounded to 3.d.p. after you found your first value? Will they maybe say "0.724 (accept 0.725)"?

yes you will end up with a zero out of five:p:E
Reply 53
Arhh
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Beresford George
For the last last question. I worked out the correct coordinate of q, and plugged it back in to find x, but I think I factored 6p and forgot to factor it back in :/ How many marks do you reckon I would loose?

You mean you found out the correct coordinate of 'y' (not 'q').
Original post by raheem94
You mean you found out the correct coordinate of 'y' (not 'q').

Yeah sorry about that.
Reply 56
Original post by Zhy

They want an approximation equal to 3d.p. so you will probably lose the accuracy mark. In such questions you have to take the exact values forward, not rounded values.
Reply 57
Original post by raheem94
Expecting 100/100, the paper couldn't have been any easier.

I agree, but for an FP1 paper this was average difficulty believe it or not....
Reply 58
I put 7/4pi for the first one, will I lose a mark? :c
For the last one, I didn't cancel it down and left it with p and q squares on the bottom. Ah well, will probably lose two, maybe.
And for the matrix one, I did some weird simultaneous equations, but I think I got it right.
And the the Newton Raphson - I didn't see it said to do it twice! D: How many marks will I lose there?
Oh well, I don't need 90UMS to get an A*, so it won't really bother me too much. Unless I do badly in FP2 and FP3.
Original post by croag
I put 7/4pi for the first one, will I lose a mark? :c
For the last one, I didn't cancel it down and left it with p and q squares on the bottom. Ah well, will probably lose two, maybe.
And for the matrix one, I did some weird simultaneous equations, but I think I got it right.
And the the Newton Raphson - I didn't see it said to do it twice! D: How many marks will I lose there?
Oh well, I don't need 90UMS to get an A*, so it won't really bother me too much. Unless I do badly in FP2 and FP3.

For the simultaneous ones, I done both ways and got the same answer to double check, so Im sure thats fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending