The Student Room Group

Access Course and Physics Degree

Anyone here who got into a physics degree with a access course or has a offer?

If so, what university are you at? What was your offer? How many level 3 credits in maths and physics did you need? Any other advice you can think of will be great.
Reply 1
I'm also interested in this, I applied for physics degree early december and still haven't got any offers.
If it's of any benefit to you I'm currently doing an access course for science and engineering, 54 level 3 credits for subjects (9 per unit, 2 units in 3 subjects) and 6 level 3 for toolbox.
It might be useful if any respondents state if they have other qualifications and whether their career thus far was relevent.

It is one thing saying "I have a offer for physics" or "I am at University doing a degree in physics" having completed Access. But they might have A level maths, Physics, Further Maths or similar/equiv from 10 or 20 or 30 years ago and did Access to meet the evidence of recent (within the last three years) study requirement some Unis enforce.

I did not apply for physics, but I very nearly did, but one of my Unis invited me to interview stating specifically that it was to assess if I should do an Access course because I had not undertaken any academic study 20 years (> 3) and that was their default position. Even though what I already had exceeded the UCAS tariff requirements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Adam, the sheets in section SP3 on the link below give some indication of route popularity by subject area.

http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2060&Itemid=141

The question you have asked seems to be of a very small target group, according to the sheet.

I guess you need a few of the 305 to respond if they are still on here.

Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by evening sunrise
Adam, the sheets in section SP3 on the link below give some indication of route popularity by subject area.

http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2060&Itemid=141

The question you have asked seems to be of a very small target group, according to the sheet.

I guess you need a few of the 305 to respond if they are still on here.

Cheers

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that website.
Reply 5
That website is great, but it'd still be nice to try get some people posting in here who've had an offer to tell us what their offer was.
Agreed, but at least it shows that Access is as popular and successful for mature students in the physical and mathematical sciences as any other route. It obviously does not measure offers made, but it does measure individuals who received offers, that were subsequently met, hence one assumes where realistic for the individuals concerned.
Reply 7
I just got an offer for astrophysics at hertfordshire today. offer was average of merit overall. so I could get merits in each subject in each unit, or 2 x distinction, 2 x merit and 2 x pass and still be accepted. very happy :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kvitty
I just got an offer for astrophysics at hertfordshire today. offer was average of merit overall. so I could get merits in each subject in each unit, or 2 x distinction, 2 x merit and 2 x pass and still be accepted. very happy :smile:

You doing a access to science or access to engineering?
Was it with a foundation year or without?
Reply 9
Original post by adam271
You doing a access to science or access to engineering?
Was it with a foundation year or without?

It's access to science/engineering, there's people in my intake who want to do physics/chemistry/math but also people who want to go into mechanical engineering, the course is aimed towards both.

The offer was for degree without foundation year.
Reply 10
Nice, congrats on your offer. Hertfordshire is a great university for physics!
Reply 11
I know Leeds offer a foundation degree leading onto the full time one with adequate results as there both connected.
All the requirements are, i believe, is the working knowledge of Maths and sciences (that may be in the form of GCSEs i cant remember).

I have a friend that got an offer and got onto the course and is now in his first full year of the degree.

The added bonus was that he went into their halls and with it being a full time course he got full student finance as a full time undergrad degree would, so in his case he got the full bursary, tuition fee and student loan aswell as £1500 from the uni as a bursary too.

Just thought this may be of some relevance to those who are thinking about the route to physics at undergraduate level and the whol access course or not debate.

Winning issue of it all is four years of full time uni experience.
Reply 12
i know this is off-topic, but if you truly intend on doing a physical science i strongly suggest you take an extra year to work on your maths - or do a foundation year. although you may well cope on your first year, having that extra year will prove invaluable for preparation (if you didn't do a-level maths/further maths). this is just my opinion, and either way i wish you the best of luck.

edit: i find access students (from my experience) don't struggle keeping up with the a-level students in the science, but they find maths a mammoth to overcome. this is true of both chemistry and physics students.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Thanks for the information, as the Physics degree route for Access students is not as popular as other ones(e.g. biological sciences) it's important we get as much information out as possible so prospective students like myself can make an informed decision.

I'll list the universities I've spoken to and the responses I got, hopefully this will help some people. If anyone else can do the same, I would greatly appreciate it.

Aberdeen: They said they are perfectly happy accepting Access to Science/Engineering. They voiced no concern about it.
Royal Holloway: Spoke to an admissions professor at some length and although he was sympathetic, he said unless he sees the specification for the Access course he can not judge if it's good enough for entry into the program. Suggested I take an A level Maths along with the Access course.
Keele: Got a very brief response saying Access to Science is fine.
St Andrews:They answered my question with another question asking "Will the Access grades will be equivalent to As at A-levels?" I presume they don't get many Access students.
Sheffield: They said it's fine as long as the Access courses lets you get 18 credits in Physics and 18 in Mathematics or 15 in Physics and 21 in Mathematics.
Manchester: Told me that they don't believe Access courses are sufficient and a foundation year would be better.
Kings College London: Not got much from them expect this "We would certainly consider applicants who have come through the Access to Science route."

Edit:

Original post by j0nnn
i know this is off-topic, but if you truly intend on doing a physical science i strongly suggest you take an extra year to work on your maths - or do a foundation year. although you may well cope on your first year, having that extra year will prove invaluable for preparation (if you didn't do a-level maths/further maths). this is just my opinion, and either way i wish you the best of luck.

edit: i find access students (from my experience) don't struggle keeping up with the a-level students in the science, but they find maths a mammoth to overcome. this is true of both chemistry and physics students.

I agree that the Mathematics taught at the Access course is not on par with A level Maths, it's why I'm self teaching myself A level Mathematics. Not taking the exams through, can't get entered as a private candidate anywhere near me.
Taking a extra year for Maths is a bit iffy through. I'd say it depends how capable you are at learning Maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by adam271
Thanks for the information, as the Physics degree route for Access students is not as popular as other ones(e.g. biological sciences) it's important we get as much information out as possible so prospective students like myself can make an informed decision.

I'll list the universities I've spoken to and the responses I got, hopefully this will help some people. If anyone else can do the same, I would greatly appreciate it.

Aberdeen: They said they are perfectly happy accepting Access to Science/Engineering. They voiced no concern about it.
Royal Holloway: Spoke to an admissions professor at some length and although he was sympathetic, he said unless he sees the specification for the Access course he can not judge if it's good enough for entry into the program. Suggested I take an A level Maths along with the Access course.
Keele: Got a very brief response saying Access to Science is fine.
St Andrews:They answered my question with another question asking "Will the Access grades will be equivalent to As at A-levels?" I presume they don't get many Access students.
Sheffield: They said it's fine as long as the Access courses lets you get 18 credits in Physics and 18 in Mathematics or 15 in Physics and 21 in Mathematics.
Manchester: Told me that they don't believe Access courses aren't sufficient and a foundation year will be best.
Kings College London: Not got much from them expect this "We would certainly consider applicants who have come through the Access to Science route."

Edit:

I agree that the Mathematics taught at the Access course is not on par with A level Maths, it's why I'm self teaching myself A level Mathematics. Not taking the exams through, can't get entered as a private candidate anywhere near me.
Taking a extra year for Maths is a bit iffy through. I'd say it depends how capable you are at learning Maths.

very true, as long as you are capable and have the passion for learning maths you're going to do pretty damn good! there's also the possibility of looking at open university for a quick course in mathematics (maths for science i think its called) - it covers up to about AS standard, with the final topics being calculus. you could possibly do this on top of your access course if you're motivated! below is some extra stuff that you may/may not find useful.

main stuff you will want to look at: differentiation, integration, matrices, logarithims, complex numbers (addition,multiplication, division and argand diagrams), trigonometric equations/functions, and vectors. i assume you can rearrange equations pretty much with your eyes shut, so i didn't include that.

^ this isn't all of it, but these are the main things you will probably use in your first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending