The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrinceyJ
which unit?

i'm sitting the CIE IGCSE English Literature Exam Monday. I'm studying: The Great Gatsby, Julius Caesar and Tennyson's poetry. But any generic tips on good quality answers to get an A* would be appreciated immensely!
Original post by Sapien
First question will allow you to choose from a possible two comparison questions (one poem will be named, you get to choose what to compare it with) from one section (ie Character and Voice) of poetry. You will need to compare the two poems and will be marked out of 32 if I remember correctly.
The second question will be an unseen poem and the question will be based on a)What the poem is about and b)How the poet shows this. It will be marked out of 18.

so don't compare the unseen text with one of the poems from the anthology?
:biggrin:
can anybody help me on R.e ( short course ) prefferbly if your doinng Wjec .

but i dont mind !! :P

I just need some basic notes eg keywords and stuff
I am extremely tired!:frown:
Anyone else?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Is anyone doing:
OCR Short Course Citizenship
AQA French

If so message me so we can discuss the exam next week in private :smile:

I'm doing AQA French :biggrin: Listening on Monday and Reading on Thursday :smile:
Original post by usycool1
I'm doing AQA French :biggrin: Listening on Monday and Reading on Thursday :smile:

OK I'll speak to you on Thursday about the higher Reading as I'm doing foundation listening. How're you revising?
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
i'm sitting the CIE IGCSE English Literature Exam Monday. I'm studying: The Great Gatsby, Julius Caesar and Tennyson's poetry. But any generic tips on good quality answers to get an A* would be appreciated immensely!

Say a lot about a little. Don't go too rambly, but definitely expand on a lot of points - provided you justify them.
Reply 8548
Original post by xoxlovelifexox

I'm doing that exam as well.

I'd highly recommend you pick the type of question (emphathic, literature analysis or extract) you want to do for each question beforehand :smile:

E.g. for me -
Julius Caesar - Emphathic, so I just have to learn about context, the plot of the novel and detailed summaries on the characters.

The Great Gatsby - Literature analysis. I just had to learn a lot about each character, the plot roughly, themes, techniques and so forth.

Poems - Extract. Just had to memorise what to look for, and the general jist for each poem.

Hope it helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GreenLantern1
See my edited version I wrote it wrong. And no not fo an IGCSE but for a GCSE exam which is not Edexcel; so OCR, WJEC, AQA.

We've had it confirmed very recently with the exam boards themselves that there's no time limit on discussions, so as soon as it's finished you can discuss it :smile:
OK I'll speak to you on Thursday about the higher Reading as I'm doing foundation listening. How're you revising?

Nice :biggrin:

I'm basically doing past papers and trying to learn some vocab :biggrin: You? :smile:
Original post by Loz17
We've had it confirmed very recently with the exam boards themselves that there's no time limit on discussions, so as soon as it's finished you can discuss it :smile:

Yh but I would have thought that isn't a good idea. This is what happened this january to me honestly:

Our school gave us an INFO 1 ICT A-Level paper to sit at 1pm. I was annoyed as this coincides with lunchtime so it was noisy, but on all the pastpapers I had done it said 2:00 pm start. The paper is 1 hour 30 min, so I finished at 2:30 pm. But say it had been an hour paper or 45 mins I coul've told someone the questions really quickly. So I feel TSR should only allow you to talk about exams after they are definitely over. So for morning exams which would start at 9:00 am, wait till 1pm and for afternoon exams which typically start at 1:00pm wait till 3:30 pm. Just ensures there is no cheating at all!
Reply 8552
What subjects?

Literature and Music. :smile:
Original post by GreenLantern1
Yh but I would have thought that isn't a good idea. This is what happened this january to me honestly:

Our school gave us an INFO 1 ICT A-Level paper to sit at 1pm. I was annoyed as this coincides with lunchtime so it was noisy, but on all the pastpapers I had done it said 2:00 pm start. The paper is 1 hour 30 min, so I finished at 2:30 pm. But say it had been an hour paper or 45 mins I coul've told someone the questions really quickly. So I feel TSR should only allow you to talk about exams after they are definitely over. So for morning exams which would start at 9:00 am, wait till 1pm and for afternoon exams which typically start at 1:00pm wait till 3:30 pm. Just ensures there is no cheating at all!

My personal take on that is that the logistics of that won't work as travel to where you're taking the exam takes a fair few minutes and in most cases you need to be there about 15 mins before the exam anyway. So even if you leave early the likelihood is the candidates who are going to see the questions and answers (if there's any time for posting any significant detail at all) are very small and isn't likely to happen at all.

If you do want to suggest it and let us discuss it though you're more than welcome to suggest it in an AAM thread :smile: The above is my personal opinion on why I don;t think that will work. This isn't including the moderation time required to enforce it too which as volunteers we just don't have.
Original post by c3ntury

I'd highly recommend you pick the type of question (emphathic, literature analysis or extract) you want to do for each question beforehand :smile:

E.g. for me -
Julius Caesar - Emphathic, so I just have to learn about context, the plot of the novel and detailed summaries on the characters.

The Great Gatsby - Literature analysis. I just had to learn a lot about each character, the plot roughly, themes, techniques and so forth.

Poems - Extract. Just had to memorise what to look for, and the general jist for each poem.

Hope it helps!

are you nervous?
Hello everybody! :biggrin: how have your days been? :smile:
Original post by c3ntury

E.g. for me -

Hope it helps!

and that was very helpful thank you! i really want to do well in literature.
Original post by CharlieBoardman

Did the 2004 Past Paper and got 100/100 :smile: However I took the full 2 hours with no time to check which was a bit worrying. It was because I took 30 mins on a section B linear programming question. i got confused and had to redraw my graph! I really don't want linear programming because a) it is boring, b) it is long and graphs are time consuming, c) with graphs it is harder to ensure graphs d) we have hardly been taught it (1 lesson!) so it is my weakest and least fluent area
Hi,
I haven't been on this since last year :O
Had my first exams today...21 to go :'(
How is everyone's revision going?
Original post by CharlieBoardman

Really stressful and I'm extremely tired-- just finished revising poetry:s-smilie:
Yawning endlessly, listening to music to wake me up a bit!
And you?

Latest