The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Isn't Comp Sci heavy maths based anyway?

different type of maths
Original post by ElMoro
different type of maths

discrete maths isn't it?
I'm changing my A-Levels from Further Maths to Physics. I've only done double science but hopefully get A* in both, will I find it very diffucult?
Original post by GreenLantern1
discrete maths isn't it?

Yes it is
Yes it is

I detest discrete maths. It is so boring and so much simpler than the other applied strands and pure mathematics.
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Follow your dreams!
On a side note, that programme always makes me laugh....They make making a meal sooo bloody intense!

Spoiler

really lol :wink:
I'm changing my A-Levels from Further Maths to Physics. I've only done double science but hopefully get A* in both, will I find it very diffucult?

Hmmm, well in the last GCSE Physics modules quite a bit of it forms the basis of AS Physics, so if your gonna take Physics I strongly recommend you do some swotting up on it, so you'll be on a level playing field with everyone else.
Reply 1587
discrete maths isn't it?

Largely but not necessarily

I detest discrete maths. It is so boring and so much simpler than the other applied strands and pure mathematics.

Without intending to sound too rude, frankly, you obviously haven't done much advanced discrete maths
Original post by ElMoro
x

Hey! How are ya?

Well you might want to read up on centripetal force, moments and especially light/lenses/waves to give yourself a boost before A level Physics. Especially lenses, it probably comes up in A level and would be easier if you read it for GCSE.

I assume you know generally about step up/step down converters and the main GCSE work on forces.

So what, you find statistics to be more interesting than discrete maths?!
Does anyone else feel fed up of GCSEs? I just can't wait for next year when we'll be in sixth form / college.

The plus side is that this is going to be our best summer in a while, as we will have finished GCSEs and have nothing else to prepare for (the year after we'll have to worry about A2s, the year after we'll be worrying about whether we made our uni offers).
Original post by najabri
Does anyone else feel fed up of GCSEs? I just can't wait for next year when we'll be in sixth form / college.

The plus side is that this is going to be our best summer in a while, as we will have finished GCSEs and have nothing else to prepare for (the year after we'll have to worry about A2s, the year after we'll be worrying about whether we made our uni offers).

Lool not really because I'll probably be consolidating my GCSE knowledge for the subjects I want to take at AS and get a little head start too.

Also am I the only one who finds AQA Unit 3 Physics easier than Unit 2?
Original post by najabri

after my exams i have 10 glorious weeks of holiday :smile: think i will actually get bored.
got sixth form taster week sometime in the middle though :smile:
Original post by InvertedLayman
Lool not really because I'll probably be consolidating my GCSE knowledge for the subjects I want to take at AS and get a little head start too.

Also am I the only one who finds AQA Unit 3 Physics easier than Unit 2?

I'll probably be doing that a bit because I'm that type of person, but it will be much better than attending classes in subjects you aren't particularly interested in/ uninspiring teachers or content etc.

Original post by g.k.galloway
after my exams i have 10 glorious weeks of holiday :smile: think i will actually get bored.
got sixth form taster week sometime in the middle though :smile:

Thankfully I've got sixth form taster and a visit to my friend in Germany to fill up some of the time, in the rest I'll have to catch up on French for AS, and, moreover, relax!
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Hmmm, well in the last GCSE Physics modules quite a bit of it forms the basis of AS Physics, so if your gonna take Physics I strongly recommend you do some swotting up on it, so you'll be on a level playing field with everyone else.

Well you might want to read up on centripetal force, moments and especially light/lenses/waves to give yourself a boost before A level Physics. Especially lenses, it probably comes up in A level and would be easier if you read it for GCSE.

I assume you know generally about step up/step down converters and the main GCSE work on forces.

I intend to learn P5 and P6 in the summer holidays... I'm worried I'll find it hard, but I'll give it my best shot!
I intend to learn P5 and P6 in the summer holidays... I'm worried I'll find it hard, but I'll give it my best shot!

Is that A level P5/P6 or a GCSE P5/P6?

Edit: You're probably talking about OCR P5/P6 GCSE modules. In AQA we only have 3, the third being the triple science module.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is that A level P5/P6 or a GCSE P5/P6?

Edit: You're probably talking about OCR P5/P6 GCSE modules. In AQA we only have 3, the third being the triple science module.

GCSE Triple Science modules. They're the only difference between triple and double Science. OCR.
Does anyone know how much we learn about astronomy and space in A level Physics? I always wanted to learn a lot about astronomy but I don't want to go down that career path..
Original post by ElMoro
Largely but not necessarily

Without intending to sound too rude, frankly, you obviously haven't done much advanced discrete maths

No you're quite right; I haven't but what I have done I don't enjoy. I have only done D1, but to be fair there is only D2 as well, or even DC.

Latest