The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

About 60% of football fans are mindless hooligans/thugs/chavs who use football as an excuse to vent out their frustrations for their own shortcomings in life. They are the most fickle bunch of idiots in society whose tribalism knows no bounds. Skysports and tabloids are perfect feeding materials for these mugs, although with mental capacity like theirs, it doesn't take much to impress them.
Original post by resentment.
scotland would have such a rich pool to take managers and coaches from, if that were implemented what with the majority of premiership managers coming from glasgow.

That's true, but the African/Asian countries in particular would struggle - Ghana's coach is Serbian, Morocco's is Belgian, and Egypt's is American.

Northern Ireland would also struggle with their pool of managers, as most have already been manager (Worthington/MacIlroy/Sanchez).
Original post by jam277
Been saying this for a long time.

But they still wouldn't win. Other than Greece in Euro 2004 what team has ever played like Stoke to any success?
Reply 383
Original post by internetstephen
But they still wouldn't win. Other than Greece in Euro 2004 what team has ever played like Stoke to any success?

Greece and Stoke don't play anything similar :lolwut: Inter Milan when they won the treble were the closest thing to Greece, especially when playing against Barca.

Stoke play a high tempo, high aggression game with emphasis on set plays and two fast wingers. Greece played everyone back and hoof, which Inter did just with better players.
Reply 384
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Ive seen Barton dive, Rooney dive, Welbeck dive, Walcott dive to name a few. It is stereotypical to say only latin people dive. It's a part of modern football and is not exclusive to a country or race.

i said a lot of, not all/only.

north western european football is developed around physicality, many people and players are brought up around an aggressive sporting culture; rugby, boxing due the the heavy working class ethic and thats the reason i believe british and irish players are more tolerant to physicality whereas the spaniards are too focused on technique and feel the need to hit the deck when ever they get a tap on the ankle .
Reply 385
I believe Gary Cahill, ability wise, is not that much better than Curtis Davies or Zat Knight.
Reply 386
Original post by Mess.
Greece and Stoke don't play anything similar :lolwut: Inter Milan when they won the treble were the closest thing to Greece, especially when playing against Barca.

Stoke play a high tempo, high aggression game with emphasis on set plays and two fast wingers. Greece played everyone back and hoof, which Inter did just with better players.

Greece did not necessarily hoof it:http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/29/greece-euro-2004-tactics/
Original post by jam277

I don't get where you're getting this from, bundesliga isn't the most competitive, it's just random, bayern should really win the league every year but they bottle it like they did this season, now dortmund are a force, even if schalke win the league this season, I won't be convinced, wolfsburg and werder bremen come to mind. It's a 2/3 horse race every season which will always include bayern munich. I'm also unconvinced that the top 10 will beat the top 10 of england or italy.

Serie A is way more competitive, milan, juve, inter, napoli, roma, fiorentina and lazio are very strong teams, may not be as good as englands top 6, but there is more parity between the levels of these teams.

I don't mean that it is competitive with other leagues in Europe (it is probably the weakest of the four big european leagues), just that within the Bundesliga it is very competitive, with lots of different teams challenging every season.
Reply 388

They must have as it even states in the article that they sat deep and defended in numbers before breaking at speed and when watching them their defenders and most of their midfielders very rarely broke forward, so in essence the only way for them to get the ball forward was to 'hoof it'. Nothing wrong with, its just a way to win a game and a tournament :awesome:
Reply 389
By far the most controversial and unpopular football opinion is that football is boring. I'm not even trying to just make fun of football on this thread it's actually true. Everyone in football circles cannot believe anyone can find football even remotely boring and everyone outside football circles are simply perplexed at how millions of people can find kicking a ball around for 90 mins so entertaining.
(edited 12 years ago)
Footballers deserve the wages they get
Original post by fudgesundae
I don't mean that it is competitive with other leagues in Europe (it is probably the weakest of the four big european leagues), just that within the Bundesliga it is very competitive, with lots of different teams challenging every season.

Lets be serious, bayern should win the bundesliga every year. Maybe this season and the last dortmund have improved and schalke had a good cup run last year and are one of the favourites of winning the europa league, but really, bayern are stronger than the rest by a long margin, all they lack is squad depth.
Reply 392
Original post by Mess.
They must have as it even states in the article that they sat deep and defended in numbers before breaking at speed and when watching them their defenders and most of their midfielders very rarely broke forward, so in essence the only way for them to get the ball forward was to 'hoof it'. Nothing wrong with, its just a way to win a game and a tournament :awesome:

I think it was more from crossing the ball in good positions by getting it wide quickly, kind of like Stoke.
Reply 393
Original post by checkolad
I think it was more from crossing the ball in good positions by getting it wide quickly, kind of like Stoke.

I'm not disputing that :smile: It is the argument that Stoke and Greece play a similar game. Greece play incredibly deep with close man marking and control of positions, whereas Stoke is much more high tempo, high aggression without as much empashis on sitting deep.
Original post by jam277
Lets be serious, bayern should win the bundesliga every year. Maybe this season and the last dortmund have improved and schalke had a good cup run last year and are one of the favourites of winning the europa league, but really, bayern are stronger than the rest by a long margin, all they lack is squad depth.

Yeh they are definitely a lot better than the rest, but that fact that they have failed to win it regularly recently, shows that it is not as clear cut as it was in the 90s and early 2000s. If Bayern can put together a stronger squad though, they will definitely be able to return to their previous dominant position.
Original post by fudgesundae
Yeh they are definitely a lot better than the rest, but that fact that they have failed to win it regularly recently, shows that it is not as clear cut as it was in the 90s and early 2000s. If Bayern can put together a stronger squad though, they will definitely be able to return to their previous dominant position.

Thats true, but with the youngsters like badstuber and boateng, their defence will only get better, midfield and strike force they are fine though, kroos, muller, robben, ribery and gomez are class, plus schweinstegger and gustavo.

Include that, with the fact that they dominate their CL group while dortmund come dead last in their group who won the title, it easily shows that bayern have a stronger squad, before you use the city argument, they had a tougher group than dortmund, dortmund realistically should beat olympiakos and marseille and scrape a draw against arsenal if they can win a league like the bundesliga in my opinion.
Reply 396
Original post by Mess.
I'm not disputing that :smile: It is the argument that Stoke and Greece play a similar game. Greece play incredibly deep with close man marking and control of positions, whereas Stoke is much more high tempo, high aggression without as much empashis on sitting deep.

Good point. You're one of the few intelligent people I have encountered on this football forum.
(edited 12 years ago)
Colin is vastly over-rated.

He seems to be considered a promotion expert, which is miles from the truth, he's just an exceedingly average championship journey man and an irritating **** to boot.
Reply 398
IMO, Iniesta is a better player than Xavi.
Reply 399
Luka Modric is better than David Sliva.

Quick Reply

Latest