The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs. St. Andrews vs. Glasgow (in biosciences)?

I need to start thinking about my application choices soon, and I'm not sure which university would be the best for me. I am considering St. Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and also Aberdeen and Dundee.

I am an international student, but still from the EU taking the IB. At the moment I have about 41 points, but the second semester is not finished yet. I want to study something in the bioscience area, like Biochemistry or even pharmacology.

St. Andrews is internationally renowned, but I'm not sure if Edinburgh or Glasgow has a better "scientific and research" reputation. Also, the fact that St. Andrews is a tiny town worries me.

Which school do you think best fits me, or what would you do?

btw. Money IS an issue, which is one reason why Scotland is such a great option (SAAS). Plus, the chances of me getting a scholarship to schools like Cambridge are quite slim.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Obviously St. Andrews is world-renowned, but I'm not sure if the science program would be better or have more meaning for future career options if I went elsewhere. Opinions?

Also, if you have any other Universities where the Science programs are reputable please let me know.
Edinburgh is actually higher on the world University rankings than St Andrews.

However all three are very good Universities, and all would be good for sciences though maybe in Edinburgh or Glasgow you'd have more access to hospitals and clinical settings.

Any other Universities with reputable science programmes? Well any good ones, I've heard good things about KCL, Birmingham and Newcastle's Biomed courses and Oxford have recently started offering it too.
Original post by Juliak
I need to start thinking about my application choices soon, and I'm not sure which university would be the best for me. I am considering St. Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and also Aberdeen and Dundee.

I am an international student, but still from the EU taking the IB. At the moment I have about 41 points, but the second semester is not finished yet. I want to study something in the bioscience area, like Biochemistry or even pharmacology.

St. Andrews is internationally renowned, but I'm not sure if Edinburgh or Glasgow has a better "scientific and research" reputation. Also, the fact that St. Andrews is a tiny town worries me.

Which school do you think best fits me, or what would you do?

btw. Money IS an issue, which is one reason why Scotland is such a great option (SAAS). Plus, the chances of me getting a scholarship to schools like Cambridge are quite slim.

If money is an issue, stick with Glasgow and Edinburgh, as stAndrews, Dundee and Aberdeen will add £££££ to your travelling costs. The cost of halls of residence is broadly similar at each Uni. For reputation abroad, probably Edin, Glasgow and stA have better rep abroad than the others.

I think you need to be aware that although the Scottish Gov currently pays the tuition fees of EU residents, as well as those of Scottish residents, moves are afoot to close this funding loop-hole - although this years applicants will not be affected, the fee situation could change before you start your degree!
Reply 4
You've applied to exactly the same universities as me. :P I'm thinking Edinburgh will be my firm (if I get an offer) and Aberdeen will be my insurance. As far as I can tell Edinburgh has the best? reputation, living there would be great and travelling there is easy as I can fly directly there (I live in Ireland).

I'm wondering about St Andrews, I'm not certain if it has a better reputation? I'm ruling Glasgow out personally, I'd much prefer Edinburgh (for one thing the Glasgow accent is pretty difficult to understand :P)
Reply 5
I still need to look at what aberdeen has to offer more. A lot of people are telling me that medicine and sciences at Edinburgh are fantastic, so..

Also, looking at St. Andrews, even though it has a fantastic reputation (possibly due to all the royalty that has studied there) I'm not sure if I want to live in a town that's only two miles across and basically has three streets. I know its uni, and we're meant to be studying, but I feel like the "social" aspect is slightly lacking when you compare it with Edinburgh. At least, that's the feeling I'm getting when I talk to people and look at the schools.
Reply 6
Those were my exact choices... I got a rejection from St Andrews and an unconditional from Glasgow, and I'm waiting impatiently to hear from Edinburgh (which is my first choice).. The thing is, if Edinburgh rejects me, I think I might wait for another year and start over, because I haven't heard much about their biosciences programs. If anyone knows more and cares to advertise Glasgow, I'm more than open to their input..
Reply 7
Original post by Historophilia
Edinburgh is actually higher on the world University rankings than St Andrews.

However all three are very good Universities, and all would be good for sciences though maybe in Edinburgh or Glasgow you'd have more access to hospitals and clinical settings.

Any other Universities with reputable science programmes? Well any good ones, I've heard good things about KCL, Birmingham and Newcastle's Biomed courses and Oxford have recently started offering it too.

Actually edinburgh (ranked 20 by QS) and glasgow (58) are both higher as st andrews (99). Honestly i think st andrews is so high on the UK list because of its connections to the royal family..
Reply 8
Original post by teoevy
Those were my exact choices... I got a rejection from St Andrews and an unconditional from Glasgow, and I'm waiting impatiently to hear from Edinburgh (which is my first choice).. The thing is, if Edinburgh rejects me, I think I might wait for another year and start over, because I haven't heard much about their biosciences programs. If anyone knows more and cares to advertise Glasgow, I'm more than open to their input..

Heya, I have offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and St Andrews (and Bath) for Molecular Biology (but I basically come under Biology until waaay into the course) so if you have any questions on any of them do ask because I went a little OTT on my uni research :biggrin:

Regarding Glasgow, seriously, I would really consider it! Having just visited last week I can tell you it was fantastic! I had a private meeting with a faculty member who was bso brilliant she made me want to switch to a MSci degree. They really prioritise lab work (wet especially as many unis are no longer doing them due to costs) and there is so much emphasis on employability and experience (it will really set you ahead if you want to go into pharma too). The city is possibly the best place I've been in Britain! So diverse, with something for everyone. Money is an issue for me too and it's great the amount of bursary schemes they have going. The sports facilities are great and it only costs ~£50 per year for access to everything and classes. Please don't rule it out yet, the only reason I haven't firmed is because I haven't been to St A yet and Dundee hasn't replied yet so I don't want to rush things. But I was really overwhelmed by how enthusiastic the tutors and students in general were. I advise you have a good look at it, it's definitely an underrated uni :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by teoevy

I wouldn't advise waiting another year if you don't get into Edinburgh but I am quite biased as I'm currently studying at Glasgow. It's been pretty great so far, there are some really excellent researchers here and it's not at all difficult to get accepted into a lab for extra experience if you are enthusiastic.
Reply 10
Original post by mezlande
I had a private meeting with a faculty member who was bso brilliant she made me want to switch to a MSci degree.

Just a quick note to say I'm doing the MSci in Microbiology at Glasgow and I haven't heard a negative thing about it from any staff or prospective employers. The internal application is reasonably tough though so make sure you get the grades, especially in year 2. About 250 people in the Life sciences college applied for it this year (you apply at the beginning of third year) and only around 50 were accepted, including only two others from my course. Then these 50 people had to go and apply externally to potential host organisations, in which a number have not been successful.

Having said that, it's a great opportunity to increase your employability (one years relevant job experience) and if you get graded a First for the MSci it is considered the equivalent of a MRes, possibly saving you tuition fees if you plan to do a masters for applying for a PhD. Not to mention there are a few paid placements and I'm going to look forward to not relying on my measly pt job wages next year!

...Did I say a quick note? My bad.
Reply 11
Original post by Tsar_chasm
Just a quick note to say I'm doing the MSci in Microbiology at Glasgow and I haven't heard a negative thing about it from any staff or prospective employers. The internal application is reasonably tough though so make sure you get the grades, especially in year 2. About 250 people in the Life sciences college applied for it this year (you apply at the beginning of third year) and only around 50 were accepted, including only two others from my course. Then these 50 people had to go and apply externally to potential host organisations, in which a number have not been successful.

Having said that, it's a great opportunity to increase your employability (one years relevant job experience) and if you get graded a First for the MSci it is considered the equivalent of a MRes, possibly saving you tuition fees if you plan to do a masters for applying for a PhD. Not to mention there are a few paid placements and I'm going to look forward to not relying on my measly pt job wages next year!

...Did I say a quick note? My bad.

See, no one can comment about Glasgow without getting a little carried away by it :wink:
Don't know about the OP but I found that a really informative post! Quite an eye-opener, thank you! I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you think makes the Glasgow department stand apart from others? If that Q is too cheesy then perhaps think of it like this... What aspect of the entire course do you brag most about to people in your field/from other unis? (this may seem wierd but I've had some really original answers from it).
Reply 12
Original post by Tsar_chasm
I wouldn't advise waiting another year if you don't get into Edinburgh but I am quite biased as I'm currently studying at Glasgow. It's been pretty great so far, there are some really excellent researchers here and it's not at all difficult to get accepted into a lab for extra experience if you are enthusiastic.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm going to Glasgow after all :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mezlande
Heya, I have offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and St Andrews (and Bath) for Molecular Biology (but I basically come under Biology until waaay into the course) so if you have any questions on any of them do ask because I went a little OTT on my uni research :biggrin:

Regarding Glasgow, seriously, I would really consider it! Having just visited last week I can tell you it was fantastic! I had a private meeting with a faculty member who was bso brilliant she made me want to switch to a MSci degree. They really prioritise lab work (wet especially as many unis are no longer doing them due to costs) and there is so much emphasis on employability and experience (it will really set you ahead if you want to go into pharma too). The city is possibly the best place I've been in Britain! So diverse, with something for everyone. Money is an issue for me too and it's great the amount of bursary schemes they have going. The sports facilities are great and it only costs ~£50 per year for access to everything and classes. Please don't rule it out yet, the only reason I haven't firmed is because I haven't been to St A yet and Dundee hasn't replied yet so I don't want to rush things. But I was really overwhelmed by how enthusiastic the tutors and students in general were. I advise you have a good look at it, it's definitely an underrated uni :smile:

Great, if you're firming Glasgow then I guess we'll meet next year :P
Reply 14
You all sound like such amateurs looking at the mere 'rankings'.

For reputation of the uni, course, and 'rankings': St. Andrews > Edinburgh > Glasgow.

By the way, the reputation of St. Andrews in places like USA is second to none, they look at St. Andrews as a very elite university, which it is.
Reply 15
Original post by b_m_k
You all sound like such amateurs looking at the mere 'rankings'.

For reputation of the uni, course, and 'rankings': St. Andrews > Edinburgh > Glasgow.

By the way, the reputation of St. Andrews in places like USA is second to none, they look at St. Andrews as a very elite university, which it is.

How could I even try to argue with '' in places like the usa st andrews is second to none''. Your argument is obviously far more objective and professional than heaps of data and expertise in an amateur ranking :smile:

No, seriously: St. Andrews is a world class university, allong with 200 others, but it is a fact that it is a bit overrated in the UK.
Reply 16
Original post by teoevy
Great, if you're firming Glasgow then I guess we'll meet next year :P

Molecular and Cellular biology in GU as well? Hope to see you guys coming fall then !
Reply 17
I would recommend Edinburgh or St Andrews as they are considered top class, both nationally and globally.

St Andrews, though, is the most expensive university location in Britain. So Edinburgh will probably suit you more.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Original post by sjoseph22
How could I even try to argue with '' in places like the usa st andrews is second to none''. Your argument is obviously far more objective and professional than heaps of data and expertise in an amateur ranking :smile:

No, seriously: St. Andrews is a world class university, allong with 200 others, but it is a fact that it is a bit overrated in the UK.

The problem here is that there are a number of people aspiring to/holding offers from/attending St Andrews and most of them will not shut up about how everyone they know in places you haven't been to think it's just the dogs *******s. Since TSR is obsessed with the unquantifiable concept of 'prestige', what you actually get is 'places where the students most closely resemble Oxford and Cambridge students', in other words, lots of privately educated folk with clipped accents.

In academic circles, St Andrews doesn't turn heads. Down the riding club in Surrey where the parents are probably secretly embarrassed that their son didn't do quite as well as the rest of his school year at Eton who got into Oxford/Cambridge and the Ivy League, apparently it's so much better than everywhere else except Oxford and Cambridge. I find that reasoning...understandable, given the circumstances. The fact of the matter is, most people on TSR aren't like most people everywhere else, and the one thing they don't have a lot of is university experience. People who have got as far as graduation on here are rare.

Glasgow has a high proportion of Scottish students (but more international students in absolute terms than St Andrews) and a lower proportion of privately educated students compared to the other two (but high compared to the general makeup of society)- and only a tiny minority of TSR hails from Scotland. Thus, not many teenagers rave about Glasgow on here- but it's the most applied to university by Scots, so I would argue that prestige strongly depends on who you ask, and it's no surprise to me that on TSR, where a certain demographic is grossly over-represented, the most 'prestigious' also happen to be those with the most well-off students: Exeter, Durham, Bristol, St Andrews. Personally, I think Glasgow and Edinburgh are much of a muchness with each other- one is ahead in some areas academically and behind in others. I think St Andrews reputation stems from entirely different factors. But, if equating the Prince with eliteness is your thing, consider this: 15 years ago (out of a university that's 600) it asked for Cs, and couldn't fill its courses. A guy with the best of the best of education could only manage average grades (BBC I think) and because he goes somewhere that'll let the underachiever in, it becomes elite. I find that reasoning bizarre.

Oh, and no, on my US campus, no one in any conversation I've ever had academically has ever brought up St Andrews as 'elite' whatever that's supposed to mean. Must be everywhere else they're talking about it then. I think the nail has already been hit: It's good, but behind Oxford and Cambridge, it's no better, if undoubtedly posher, than the next 25 places. If you want to go there, by all means go: I know people that love it, you'll get a good education and a valuable degree. But if you like the others more, don't think for a second they'll hinder you in the job market or offer a poorer standard of teaching or student experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 0404343m
The problem here is that there are a number of people aspiring to/holding offers from/attending St Andrews and most of them will not shut up about how everyone they know in places you haven't been to think it's just the dogs *******s. Since TSR is obsessed with the unquantifiable concept of 'prestige', what you actually get is 'places where the students most closely resemble Oxford and Cambridge students', in other words, lots of privately educated students with clipped accents.

In academic circles, St Andrews doesn't turn heads. Down the riding club in Surrey where the parents are probably secretly embarrassed that their son didn't do quite as well as the rest of his school year at Eton who got into Oxford/Cambridge and the Ivy League, apparently it's so much better than everywhere else except Oxford and Cambridge. I find that reasoning...understandable, given the circumstances. The fact of the matter is, most people on TSR aren't like most people everywhere else, and the one thing they don't have a lot of is university experience. People who have got as far as graduation here on here are rare.

Glasgow has lots of Scottish students and a lower proportion of privately educated students. Not many teenagers rave about it on here. Personally, I think Glasgow and Edinburgh are much of a muchness with each other- one is ahead in some areas academically and behind in others. I think St Andrews reputation stems from entirely different factors. But, if equating the Prince with eliteness is your thing, consider this: 15 years ago (out of a university that's 600) it asked for Cs, and couldn't fill its courses. A guy with the best of the best of education could only manage average grades (BBC I think) and because he goes somewhere that'll let underachiever in, it becomes elite. I find that reasoning bizarre.

Oh, and no, on my US campus, no one in any conversation I've ever had academically has ever brought up St Andrews as 'elite' whatever that's supposed to mean. Must be everywhere else they're talking about it then. I think the nail has already been hit: It's good, but behind Oxford and Cambridge, it's no better, if undoubtedly posher, than the next 25 places. If you want to go there, by all means go: I know people that love it, you'll get a good education and a valuable degree. But if you like the others more, don't think for a second they'll hinder you in the job market or offer a poorer standard of teaching or student experience.

Well said this man!^^^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending