The Student Room Group

Uk flag without scotland proposal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrigidSymphony
You would no longer be the United Kingdom, and Scotland would no longer be part of the country represented by the flag, which loses you the blue background and St Andrew's cross.

That is hardly relevant. It is a well-known brand image, an excellent unique flag and theredictate that we must change. There would still be a united kingdom, by the way - the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland - so we could even continue to be called the UK.

Presumably the Scots will have more sense than to leave, though.
Original post by Callum828
Braveheart

Haha, so true. They even have a statue of Mel Gibson to satisfy their own ego.

As for the UK flag if Scotland was to vote to break up the Kingdom of Great Britain, I do hope we in England are not required to be British first and English whenever other people wish us to. In the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the state will be 90% English, rendering the 'UK' the most imbalanced union since the current UK. And no, I don't support dividing us up to make it look like a union between Southern English, English Midlanders, Northern English, Welsh and Northern Ireland.

The first step is to stop the St George's Flag from being a football symbol.
Reply 82
Original post by FrigidSymphony
You would no longer be the United Kingdom, and Scotland would no longer be part of the country represented by the flag, which loses you the blue background and St Andrew's cross.

Have they got the flag copyrighted?
Reply 83
Original post by Good bloke
That is hardly relevant. It is a well-known brand image, an excellent unique flag and theredictate that we must change. There would still be a united kingdom, by the way - the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland - so we could even continue to be called the UK.

Presumably the Scots will have more sense than to leave, though.

What about Wales?
Reply 84
Original post by Playa10
Have they got the flag copyrighted?

The designs are hundreds of years old, probably predating copyright law itself, so they're almost certainly in the public domain by now. :p:
Original post by Gales
(cut because this post already takes up loads of space)
How about this?

I was thinking of a similar sort of thing, perhaps without the White St. andrews cross behind and with a thin yellow St. Davids cross on top.

or

Ignore the dodgy detail, I used paint:colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gales
What about Wales?

Wales took the dragon being left off personally and unilaterally declared independence. It took its lack of representation on the flag as implied consent from Westminster that it could :tongue:
Original post by Gales
What about Wales?

What about Wales? It isn't a country.
Reply 88

It is according to the Organization for International Standardization and the law which incorporated Wales into England was repealed in 1993.

ISO Status
Reply 90
Original post by gethsemane342

Beat you :wink:
Anyway, the Welsh government and British government recognise Wales as a country too. I don't know why people still dispute it :confused:
And according to the ISO Northern Ireland isn't a country, but rather a province.
Original post by Gales
Beat you :wink:
Anyway, the Welsh government and British government recognise Wales as a country too. I don't know why people still dispute it :confused:

People tend to mix it up with a State and think it has more meaning than it does. I inadvertently got into a debate with someone who thought that country means a lot more than it does and I could not, for the life of me, get across that his reasons for not calling Wales a country were things I'd agree with if someone said Wales was a State. It took about 2 hours for him to realise I was using the legal and official language and not mere semantics...
Reply 92
Original post by gethsemane342
People tend to mix it up with a State and think it has more meaning than it does. I inadvertently got into a debate with someone who thought that country means a lot more than it does and I could not, for the life of me, get across that his reasons for not calling Wales a country were things I'd agree with if someone said Wales was a State. It took about 2 hours for him to realise I was using the legal and official language and not mere semantics...

Yeah, the word country in place of sovereign state is a little overused nowadays. Many regions around the world can fit the dictionary definition of a country, like Catalonia or Basque Country.
Who was the leader of Wales before the Wales was incorporated into the Kingdom of England? Oh wait, I guess you weren't a united nation after all.
Would there be an obligatory duty to remove the blue from the Union Flag should Scotland be independent? We use the cross of St Patrick instead of Northern Ireland's.
Original post by Barden
this but no gaps where the diagonals intersect the vertical/horizontal

I dunno, the red might be too prominent then.
Reply 96
Original post by Snagprophet
Who was the leader of Wales before the Wales was incorporated into the Kingdom of England? Oh wait, I guess you weren't a united nation after all.

How can you have a leader when you're occupied by a foreign nation? Either way, irrelevant point.
Original post by Gales
How can you have a leader when you're occupied by a foreign nation? Either way, irrelevant point.

Because there was never a leader, unless you think you've always been occupied.
Original post by Gales

Tbf, before the English started taking over (...somewhat simplified), the way Welsh succession law worked meant that Wales was pretty much divided. That's why it was easy for English lords to take over parts of Wales - other parts of Wales wouldn't band together.
Reply 99
Original post by Snagprophet
Because there was never a leader, unless you think you've always been occupied.

What do you mean there was never a leader? Ever heard of Owain Glyndwr? Wales was united under his rule and rebellion against the English which was ultimately unsuccessful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending