The Student Room Group

Northern vs. Southern Europe

Do you prefer Northern or Southern European destinations?

I'm referring to:

Northern Europe - Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Scandinavia

Southern Europe - Spain, Italy, Greece

You might ask what's the difference, and is it sensible to divide Europe like this.

Well, I'd then say that they are to some extent divided by quite a few variables such as religion (traditionally catholic vs. protestant), weather (cold vs. warm), economies (north is much more industrious), and aesthetics (is there any equivalent to the likes of florence/siena/bologna in Northern Europe?).
Reply 1
What do you mean? Travelling? I'd definitely prefer Northern Europe for the nature (few comes close to the varieties of nature Norway has to offer) and Southern Europe (especially Italy) for the culture, history and architecture. Have travelled both and always liked it :smile:

If you look for beautiful cities in Northern Europe, try Bergen (old trade city in Norway) for example. Historically Northern cultures (especially those of Scandinavia) have heavily relied on wood as the main building material, therefore less architectural sights have lasted and they are more punctual (such as castles and churches) than in the South, where you find whole historic cities. Volterra, Venezia and Monterreggioni in Italy are famous examples.

By the way, I would not classify the Netherlands or Germany as 'Northern' Europe, it's rather central with Northern Europe starting with Denmark and Southern Europe starting with the Southern half of France and the south of Austria and Switzerland. I guess you just had the impression that Germany and the Netherlands are not mediterrean, which is actually true :smile:

Edit: Okay, just saw that this is in the travel forum, so I guess that's what is is about :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
since when Germany is located in Northern Europe???
Reply 3
Original post by Fusion
Northern Europe - Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Scandinavia

If you are going to add Germany to Northern Europe you may as well add France.

Also Scandinavia includes Denmark... I presume you meant the Nordic Countries (which includes Scandinavia and the others)?

Anyway I prefer my native France as a holiday destination, so many climates and settings to go to that you don't need to leave the country ever :h:
It's very difficult to categorise countries and regions like this, as there is obviously a lot of variance within each country (Northern Italy for example is very 'industrious', as is Catalonia in Spain). However, if forced to make a choice I'd choose Southern Europe. The Northern European countries are a little more homogenous than those in the south. For example, while obviously there are differences between countries/areas, you can see very clear social, cultural and linguistic bonds between Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland whereas within Spain for example you have a huge divide between (for example) the industrial Basque-speaking North and the laid-back, poorer Andalucian South. And the divide between Northern and Southern Italy is huge.

More to the point, the UK is more a 'Northern' than 'Southern' country and therefore I find going South to be more of a contrast to my daily experience.

Ultimately though, I prefer to divide Europe into West and East, and my preference is definitely for East when it comes to travelling.
I would absolutely love to go to all the Nordic and Baltic countries someday! I really want to explore more of France, Germany and Belgium too (I've been before) and visit the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic, though I'd class all those as Central rather than Northern.

Despite the above, though, I would still pick the Southern European countries if I had to. As standreams said above, although for example the Nordic countries obviously have differences, they also still have more similarities than countries like Spain, Italy, Greece etc. do between each other, and indeed countries like Spain and Italy differ widely within themselves too. Being from the UK, we have more similarities with other Germanic countries, so Southern countries seem more exotic. I love dry heat, too, I find the history, art and architecture more interesting, and I love the food more (though I can't say I've really tried any Nordic cuisine, and I'd love to give Czech, Hungarian and Polish cuisines a go - I think I'd really like them! Really wouldn't class them as 'Northern' though...)
Reply 6
My fav country outside of Britain in Europe has to be Italy. Magnificent cities brimming with ancient and recent history, a beautiful language, the best food and wine in the world, fantastic beaches and the coast having a Mediterranean climate... mmm
Reply 7
I have travelled extensively in both northern and southern european countries, and I generally prefer the southern ones. Reasons: milder climate, nice beaches, more outgoing people, food & drinks tend to be cheaper, generally very good nightlife, more 'laid-back' atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Latest