The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (February 20th to 24th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lancaster University
Hello BeccaCath94,

Lots of people do bring their own TV with them to university, although if you are going to do this you will need to buy a TV Licence. There are also lots of extra curricular activities you can get involved in at Lancaster from societies and sports clubs to student politics and volunteering. You can find out more about these opportunities at Lancaster from our Student Union website http://lusu.co.uk/

Thank you

All the best,

Leanne

Thank you for your help.
I may consider getting a TV or alternatively just watch iplayer,itv player etc..... :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by JordanS94
Hey, I have received an offer for Maths and statistics AAB and I believe I wont get a B :/ but I also think that I will get an A* so would A*AC be acceptable or not. I can get the B if I worked hard enough but its because it's an art subject and if I want the grade I would have to work constantly for 8 weeks because I work very slowly and I think my patience will run out sooner or later :/

I realise it is for a different univeristy but i was in the same sort of situation with my offer from the Uni of Leeds. I emailed them about different combinations and they said depending on the amount of applicants and whether the course is full, different combinationd may be accepted for example A*BB instead of AAB (the original offer...) hope this helps!
My short answer would be contact the uni directly if you want to make sure

(Bare in mind I am only in year 13 so...)
Reply 82
Hey,

I've heard the housing at Lancaster is great! my question is about the housing after the first year. is it easy to find a nice place thats close? also would i need a car or would i be possible to bike or take a bus or train from where ever the apartment/house is (i assume in the city)?

also how does the year in industry work for mechanical engineering students? What kind of companies can we have our placement at?

Thanks for the help!

LH
Original post by lhavekost
Hey,

I've heard the housing at Lancaster is great! my question is about the housing after the first year. is it easy to find a nice place thats close? also would i need a car or would i be possible to bike or take a bus or train from where ever the apartment/house is (i assume in the city)?

also how does the year in industry work for mechanical engineering students? What kind of companies can we have our placement at?

Thanks for the help!

LH

There are loads of housing options in Lancaster. If you check the first post in the Accommodation thread, there are links to various useful sites. There are houses provided by LUSU [the student union] as well as companies like Yellow Door Lets and private landlords. Lancaster provide talks to help with what to look out for, the questions to ask when looking at houses etc, during your first term. Plus, there are university-owned halls of residence in the city centre, as well as private halls, if that is more to your liking. :smile:

In terms of locations, houses are available in various popular areas. Eg,
- Lancaster city centre, including areas near the river [near Sugarhouse nightclub], and up by the train station.
- Bowerham and Hala [on the way to Lancaster].

You do not need a car for any of these places. Lancaster is around 3 miles from the campus, so you can walk or cycle or get one of the very frequent buses [taking between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the number]. :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by affinity89
There are loads of housing options in Lancaster. If you check the first post in the Accommodation thread, there are links to various useful sites. There are houses provided by LUSU [the student union] as well as companies like Yellow Door Lets and private landlords. Lancaster provide talks to help with what to look out for, the questions to ask when looking at houses etc, during your first term. Plus, there are university-owned halls of residence in the city centre, as well as private halls, if that is more to your liking. :smile:

In terms of locations, houses are available in various popular areas. Eg,
- Lancaster city centre, including areas near the river [near Sugarhouse nightclub], and up by the train station.
- Bowerham and Hala [on the way to Lancaster].

You do not need a car for any of these places. Lancaster is around 3 miles from the campus, so you can walk or cycle or get one of the very frequent buses [taking between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the number]. :smile:

great! thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 85
Hi,

I am student with a french baccalaureat and I want to improve my english skills before I apply to an undergraduate courses. Could you please tell me if you have the english as a second language( ESL or EFL) as a program at your university? And how much it is the fees ? And also the living cost( because I am a international student)?
I am really sorry if I make some mistakes because I am not prefect in english language but I am intermediate.

Thank you soo much for your answer and the time that you take for reading my message.
Reply 86
Hey thanks for the help, I was given a dual offer so just waiting for it to go on UCAS and then firming :biggrin:
Reply 87
Hi, what sort gcse grades do people have at Lancaster? ..do you think that'll be higher due to the increasing numbers of people now applying? also as i'm thinking or applying for maths, would that affect it in anyway? thanks a lot!
Reply 88
Hi, I'm a student from Czech Republic and I'm willing to apply for either Finance and Management studies, Accounting and Finance or Management undergraduate degree.

What exactly are the requirements for students from CZ?
Thanks a lot.
Reply 89
Hi,

I was wondering how feasible it is to change course (from computer science to maths) at the beginning of the year, as long as you have the grades required? Also, if I go to the computer science open day on saturday is there a maths open day as well?
Hello,

I have recieved a dual offer, if I put Lancaster as my insurance and not my firm will the dual offer still count, or will I just have the one offer?

Thanks
Original post by Airdak
Hi,

I am student with a french baccalaureat and I want to improve my english skills before I apply to an undergraduate courses. Could you please tell me if you have the english as a second language( ESL or EFL) as a program at your university? And how much it is the fees ? And also the living cost( because I am a international student)?
I am really sorry if I make some mistakes because I am not prefect in english language but I am intermediate.

Thank you soo much for your answer and the time that you take for reading my message.

Hi Airdak,

Thanks for your questions. We do have programmes at Lancaster to help students with their English skills however to get an offer (i'm pressuming on one of our undergraduate courses?) you would already need to have strong levels of English. For students who study they French Bacc we normally ask for 13 in your English and if you haven't got this you'd need either an IELTS score of 6.5 or 93 in TOEFL.

With regards to the fees it depends on what fee status you will be classed as....If you are an EU student then the fees are the same as UK students but if you're an international they are different depending on what programme you study....what are you thinking of studying at Lancaster?

Living costs at Lancaster are fairly cheap compared to the rest of the UK. Living on campus starts at about £80 a week but you can find out more information here:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/undergraduate.html

All the best,

Fred
Original post by TLK
Hey thanks for the help, I was given a dual offer so just waiting for it to go on UCAS and then firming :biggrin:

Hi TLK,

Well done on getting a dual offer!

Hope the exams go well and if all goes to plan we look forward to welcoming you to Lancaster in October - hurrah!

All the best,

Fred
Original post by Tedward
Hi, what sort gcse grades do people have at Lancaster? ..do you think that'll be higher due to the increasing numbers of people now applying? also as i'm thinking or applying for maths, would that affect it in anyway? thanks a lot!

Hi Tedward,

Thanks for your questions about GCSE grades. The short answer is - yes - your GCSE grades do affect whether you'll get an offer from Lancaster!

We now expect our applicants to have strong GCSE grades Bs and above to get a place on our courses. For certain courses though you'll see we specify what GCSE grade we require. For example, if you're thinking about taking Pyschology at Lancaster, we ask for a B in GCSE maths as there is quite a bit of 'stats stuff' to plough through in the first year; and we like students to be able to manage!

For Maths - which is the course I think you're considering - you'll need an A in your GCSE Maths and an A in your A level to study on any of our Maths courses.

Hope this answers your questions.

All the best,

Fred
Original post by Han.na
Hi, I'm a student from Czech Republic and I'm willing to apply for either Finance and Management studies, Accounting and Finance or Management undergraduate degree.

What exactly are the requirements for students from CZ?
Thanks a lot.

Han.na - Dobrý den!

Thanks for your question and great to hear that you're thinking of applying from the Czech Republic to Lancaster. I love the Czech republic - it's a beautiful country and one of my very best friends now lives in Prague!

Can you tell me what courses/qualifications you're studying now or towards so I can write back with the typical entry requirements for either Finance or Management Studies.

Děkuji!

Fred
Original post by Rachel*94
Hi,

I was wondering how feasible it is to change course (from computer science to maths) at the beginning of the year, as long as you have the grades required? Also, if I go to the computer science open day on saturday is there a maths open day as well?

Hi Rachel*94,

I can't give you a definite answer to your question but it's true that it is possible to switch courses at Lancaster. Can I suggest when you go to the open day this Saturday you have a chat with the Admissions Tutor?

The open day, I think you're attending, is just for Computer Science not Maths but you'll be able to find out about what it's like studying on a combined degree and how it works studying in two departments.

Hope you have a good visit!

Fred

Fred
Original post by scaredofexams
Hello,

I have recieved a dual offer, if I put Lancaster as my insurance and not my firm will the dual offer still count, or will I just have the one offer?

Thanks

Hey Scaredofexams,

Firstly well done in getting a dual offer from Lancaster! Hopefully you will put us as your firm choice but.....:wink:

....having spoken to the Admissions Department, in short, the dual offer will still count if you put us down as your insurance but it also depends on what grades you get utimately and what your firm choice is asking for etc. If you want further advice on what to do please contact Mr Bob Brown in the Admissions Office 01524 65201.

All the best,

Fred
Reply 97
Could you give me some info about the student loans and the costs of having a car during studies.? :smile:
Original post by RioGk
Could you give me some info about the student loans and the costs of having a car during studies.? :smile:

Hi RioGK,

The best two place to get more info in a quick and bite-sized way about student loans (presuming you're a UK student...) are:

http://studentfinance-yourfuture.direct.gov.uk/

Or try here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/index.htm

It's important to remember there is loads of help to support your studies both from the government and Lancaster. We have a package of scholarships and bursaries too:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

In terms of the costs of keeping a car - if you mean can you get a parking permit for campus and what are the costs - it's tricky - we have different criteria -and permits are limited to students based on their criteria for needing a permit

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/estates/documents/car%20parking/Student%20Car%20Parking%20Policy%20for%202011-12%20FINAL%20AGREED.pdf

I'd go for the bus - it's much cheaper than keeping a car on campus and you'll have more pounds in your pocket for the pub or other non-drinking related student activities - hurrah!

All the best,

Fred
Reply 99
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi RioGK,

The best two place to get more info in a quick and bite-sized way about student loans (presuming you're a UK student...) are:

http://studentfinance-yourfuture.direct.gov.uk/

Or try here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/index.htm

It's important to remember there is loads of help to support your studies both from the government and Lancaster. We have a package of scholarships and bursaries too:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

In terms of the costs of keeping a car - if you mean can you get a parking permit for campus and what are the costs - it's tricky - we have different criteria -and permits are limited to students based on their criteria for needing a permit

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/estates/documents/car%20parking/Student%20Car%20Parking%20Policy%20for%202011-12%20FINAL%20AGREED.pdf

I'd go for the bus - it's much cheaper than keeping a car on campus and you'll have more pounds in your pocket for the pub or other non-drinking related student activities - hurrah!

All the best,

Fred

What About the EU NoN UK students.?
Thank you for the info btw :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending