The Student Room Group

Unpopular Music Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sobia94
Jessie J is an incredible artist.

You should look into her music more and admire her positive messages - what other music is like her's?

Pretty much most chart music? :confused:

Particularly her latest effort, that Domino song. To me, the lyrics are so meaningless and typical. Just my opinion anyway, and of course everyone enjoys different taste in music. She was actually quite funny and laid back on Jonathon Ross, but I hate her music.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bobifier
I just listened to your guitar intro, and I feel perfectly comfortable telling you it wasn't stolen by Coldplay. It is a different chord progression. It has a vaguely similar rhythm and if you feel that vague classes of rhythm are in any sense intellectual property then you are an idiot.

A few things in response if I may. Firstly, this thread IS called Unpopular Music Opinions so if you disagree, I expected it, but don't go calling someone you've never even spoken to before an idiot for having an unpopular opinion (especially in this thread!!)

Secondly, I do agree with your point in saying that of course they aren't exactly the same to the last detail, my opinion is that there is more than enough similarity there for Joe Satriani to have been annoyed. It also is not entirely impossible that someone in the world of Coldplay thought that if they made a couple of tweaks and changes to a decent tune that the majority casual listeners will have never heard before, they could pass it off as their own.

I'm glad you feel perfectly comfortable in speaking on behalf of Coldplay, so I'm going to make the assumption that you are, in fact, Chris Martin himself. May I take this opportunity to tell you directly then Chris that I respect your talent, and you seem like a great guy, but your music isn't for me, and I find the similarity between the previously mentioned songs a little suspicious. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 382
Jessie J is underrated.
Original post by hbk4894
Jessie J is underrated.

How can somebody who is constantly being labeled underrated be underrated? She's overrated. She's just another pop star. Her music is as unchallenging and as simple as possible, heavy emphasis on the product instead of the actual music. It's just straightforward pop music that's been done a million times before and will be done a million times again, because that allows it to reach the widest audience. File with the likes of Lily Allen as the UK's current 20-something solo female singer-songwriter.
Oasis album Be Here Now was actually not too bad.
Reply 385
i hate One Direction.
:lolwut: How is that unpopular?
Reply 387
Original post by Alofleicester
:lolwut: How is that unpopular?

i thought , there might be a few one directions fans on here.
Reply 388
I don't like Adele and One Direction.
Reply 389
Michael Jackson is nothing compared to Stevie Wonder, who released Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life, two of the greatest albums ever made.
Reply 390
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
Oasis album Be Here Now was actually not too bad.

Oh yeah there are definitely some good songs on there. I like Stand By Me and even All Around The World is alright. It was just built up to so much that it was impossible not to fall below the standards of the first two albums.
Original post by Betacra
Michael Jackson is nothing compared to Stevie Wonder, who released Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life, two of the greatest albums ever made.

I agree actually. Well on the MJ part. Not heard much of Stevie Wonder.

MJ was an entertaining personality, musically poor though, and the two are often confused, meaning he is massively over-rated as an artist.
Reply 392
In Utero > Nevermind. Polly is the best song on Nevermind - well my fav at least, only opinions here!
Tupac and Biggie are overrated.
Plan B is talented, as is Example.
Watch the throne is a great album.
Seven nation army is one of the white stripes' worser songs. (I can grammar)
I used to think The Who were easily better than The Beatles, now I'm not so sure which band I prefer.
Dubstep is good, or at least it was good.
There is usually at least something good in the charts.
Music can still be enjoyable, even if its 'technically' awful.
I want Busted to get back together.
Madonna is massively overrated. Some of her songs are good, I'll admit, but she's nowhere near as good as everyone gives her credit for. However, unlike a lot of people, I really like Give Me All Your Luvin', although I think M.I.A. is the best thing about that song.

Speaking of M.I.A., Paper Planes is nowhere near her best song. It's not a bad song, but its message has been ignored because of its mainstream popularity. She has loads of good songs like Bad Girls, Bamboo Banga, XXXO, Jimmy, Boyz, and Mango Pickle Down River.

In terms of rap - I think both Azealia Banks and Iggy Azalea are talented and I like them both. Unpopular because many people seem to only like one because of their feud.
I can't stand Adele. Most people I know seem to act like she's the best thing to ever happen to music.
Original post by alexlduffy
Madonna is massively overrated. Some of her songs are good, I'll admit, but she's nowhere near as good as everyone gives her credit for. However, unlike a lot of people, I really like Give Me All Your Luvin', although I think M.I.A. is the best thing about that song.

Speaking of M.I.A., Paper Planes is nowhere near her best song. It's not a bad song, but its message has been ignored because of its mainstream popularity. She has loads of good songs like Bad Girls, Bamboo Banga, XXXO, Jimmy, Boyz, and Mango Pickle Down River.

In terms of rap - I think both Azealia Banks and Iggy Azalea are talented and I like them both. Unpopular because many people seem to only like one because of their feud.

Iggy Azalea is dire female rappers in general are **** but that song "Pussy" is a absoloute monstrosity as is every other song she makes and she is from Australia but puts on some redneck American accent, all female rappers seem to rap about is sex tbh... Azealia Banks is ok but she isn't anything special either.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Oasis are probably the most over-rated band of the last 20 years, other than Coldplay (actually enjoy one or two Coldplay tracks but w/e).

I think people over hate on Oasis too much, they are overrated but they did have a few good songs.
Original post by Shabalala
Iggy Azalea is dire female rappers in general are **** but that song "Pussy" is a absoloute monstrosity as is every other song she makes and she is from Australia but puts on some redneck American accent, all female rappers seem to rap about is sex tbh... Azealia Banks is ok but she isn't anything special either.

That's why it's unpopular, most people say that they can't stand her voice especially :P I'll admit that some of her songs are bad, and Pu$$y ain't that great, but I really like stuff like My World and The Last Song. I like Azealia Banks, but I think she's got a major attitude problem that could hold her back.
Reply 398
Wow, music really does bring out the worst in everybody. It gets so personal: all heavy metal fans are pretentious freaks, all hip-hop fans are illiterate chavs, all Adele fans are silly middle school girls with emotional issues. And this in a forum which would normally bite someone's head off for generalising. Just listen to whatever bloody music you want and shut up.
Original post by ThaChronic
I think people over hate on Oasis too much, they are overrated but they did have a few good songs.

They are terrible in my honest opinion. They come across as try-hards and are vocally poor, they're just poor musicians with a persona that appealed. I know it sounds like I'm forever criticising music on here but that's what a forum is for right? :tongue:

Blur were a better band than Oasis.

Quick Reply

Latest