The Student Room Group

Cambridge Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnnabelle
Durham has Combined Honours in the Social Sciences!
(and York has Social and Political Sciences too)

Thanks! Where are you applying and what subjects are you taking?
Hi guys!

I recently applied and got an acknowledgement today. I've been told to send two written essays. Now my problem is this - I'm a self taught A level history student and I have an online tutor who marks my assignments for me, however these are typed up essays. Would this be an issue? :s-smilie: I don't have any other essays D:
Original post by alevels.
Hi guys!

I recently applied and got an acknowledgement today. I've been told to send two written essays. Now my problem is this - I'm a self taught A level history student and I have an online tutor who marks my assignments for me, however these are typed up essays. Would this be an issue? :s-smilie: I don't have any other essays D:

I'm sure if you explained this to cambridge they wouldn't mind, there must be other applicants in the same position as you. Which college did you apply to?
Original post by megan97
I'm sure if you explained this to cambridge they wouldn't mind, there must be other applicants in the same position as you. Which college did you apply to?

Hi :smile: I just found out that other people have submitted written up essays so I think I'll be fine as long as it's marked (yay!) and I applied as an open application but I got Newnham, which was going to happen I guess but I'm happy with it aha :smile:
Hi :smile: I just found out that other people have submitted written up essays so I think I'll be fine as long as it's marked (yay!) and I applied as an open application but I got Newnham, which was going to happen I guess but I'm happy with it aha :smile:

I'm sure it will be ok :smile: How come you decided to submit an open application?
Original post by megan97
I'm sure it will be ok :smile: How come you decided to submit an open application?

:smile: Well, I wasn't sure about what college I wanted to go to and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to apply. But I decided to go for it anyway aha :tongue:Newnham wasn't my first choice, but I still like it!
:smile: Well, I wasn't sure about what college I wanted to go to and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to apply. But I decided to go for it anyway aha :tongue:Newnham wasn't my first choice, but I still like it!

Ah I see, well it's good that you like the college they gave you. I haven't been emailed yet about sending in written work but they said they would email at a later date, I'm starting to get worried :/
Original post by megan97
Ah I see, well it's good that you like the college they gave you. I haven't been emailed yet about sending in written work but they said they would email at a later date, I'm starting to get worried :/

When did you apply? And what college? To be honest, I sent my application on the 29th of September and they took nearly a month to get back to me, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Original post by Edminzodo
Thanks! Where are you applying and what subjects are you taking?

My A-levels are : French, Spanish, RS:Philosophy and Ethics, Maths

Apart from Cambridge I've applied to Warwick (Politics, International Studies and French), Exeter (Flexible Combined Honours - International Relations, Anthro and French/Span) and twice to UCL (Arts and Sciences and also European,Social and Political Studies) :-)

Looked at Durham quite thoroughly though in the end decided it was too small for me hahahah :-)
When did you apply? And what college? To be honest, I sent my application on the 29th of September and they took nearly a month to get back to me, so I wouldn't worry too much!

I applied on the 19th of September and they acknowledged my application on the 2nd of October which is when they said they would email at a later date for written work. The last email was on the 15th but that was just about my ums going up in one module so I emailed to tell them.
Could Cambridge please send more SAQ reminders because i don't think I've got enough?!?!?!
Reply 731
I've been assigned Selwyn from my open app!
Does the submitted essays form part of the offer decision? or it just used for interview?
Reply 732
Sorry to be that annoying person who asks, but if people could post what colleges they're applying for this year it'd be interesting... You know, seeing if any of us are going for the same college etc...
I've applied to Emma btw and am a post-a2 applicant...
Also, I don't mind giving my experience if anyone wants it as I also applied last year to trinity

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to caius for hsps and my ps was focused on anthropology. Anyone else applying to caius? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm applying for HSPS this fall. My question is regarding written work. I am an overseas student in an American high school. The written work is supposed to be from A2-level courses. However, I haven't done a lot of written work at the AP level (US equivalent) relating to my subject, because the AP courses aren't so much written work based, at least those that relate to HSPS the most. So I contacted the admissions tutor, and she responded by saying that I should submit whatever I think best reflects my academic potential. I am thinking of submitting a piece from a regular course which is about politics and involves international relations (my chosen subject within HSPS), it is not AP level, however. Should I do it? Also, what general advice can you give about the written work, as it is the part I am most confused about (and the only part of the application left apart from the interview). Thank you.
Anyone else been asked to write an essay?
I'm applying for Queen's ! Haven't been asked for essays quite yet!
Original post by Barleywolf
Hi, I'm applying for HSPS this fall. My question is regarding written work. I am an overseas student in an American high school. The written work is supposed to be from A2-level courses. However, I haven't done a lot of written work at the AP level (US equivalent) relating to my subject, because the AP courses aren't so much written work based, at least those that relate to HSPS the most. So I contacted the admissions tutor, and she responded by saying that I should submit whatever I think best reflects my academic potential. I am thinking of submitting a piece from a regular course which is about politics and involves international relations (my chosen subject within HSPS), it is not AP level, however. Should I do it? Also, what general advice can you give about the written work, as it is the part I am most confused about (and the only part of the application left apart from the interview). Thank you.

If they have not given you a subject to write on, submit the best thing you have done and don't worry about administrative categories. What you want to demonstrate is that you can think, that it is original, and that you can express yourself.

My d (an American applying from France) wrote her essays specifically for the application (in HSPS). She was then asked to write a supplementary essay on a subject they designated, which was attuned to her individual interests and reading as expressed in the application. I have been told this is unusual.

Look in my stats, I have describer her experience of getting into Cam in detail.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Renee8100
Anyone else been asked to write an essay?

yup, got to write one on the value of studying ancient languages and civilisations, then got my interview offer today! :biggrin:
applying to St Catz btw ^.^
now i just have the essay and interview prep to worry about...
Reply 739
Has anyone received any offers yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending