The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: You're the WORST Example!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NorthCountryMod
When abroad, I'd say the tea. It just doesn't match up to the tea at home. Often really weak and lukewarm. Close contender would be the rock solid, bone-dry croissants, though.

You gotta put one for the next poster :smile:
Original post by dani_1991
MAYO. I know I've gone for the obvious but it is the worst for me. Closely followed by either lots of cheese, or cheap cheese. Neither add to my burger for me,

WORST COMMON ITEM AT A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST?

Whilst I do agree with the bone dry croissants the widths for me would be the dilute juice that I have the unfortunate experience of it was yellow but tasted like it had been diluted, they squirted lemon juice in it, diluted then dipped an orange lolly in it plus it was warm/hot

Worst sandwich combo (like chocolate and cheese but much much worse)
Worst I've had, as opposed to fictional sandwiches, would be grilled blue cheese and watercress sandwiches. I find blue cheese way too strong, and the watercress didn't really do anything for the flavour. I couldn't finish it. It was just way too blue cheesy.

WORST FOOD WITH A RUNNY CENTRE?
Oysters imo

Worst sauce
Reply 1984
Nugs posts suck.
Worst sauce is probably cheese sauce for me of the common ones, I find it has the power to overpower dishes. Much as I dislike mayo, it's more of a condiment.

WORST USE OF WHOLE NUTS IN FOOD?
Might seem a bit of a tame one to you, but for me it's peanuts hiding away in so-called 'healthy snacks'. They're in so many store-bought flapjack or cereal bars that I sometimes have to be quite careful to avoid them - I really don't like the taste, and it ruins the whole bar for me.

Worst use of cinnamon? (Other than the 'cinnamon challenge', obviously.)
Chicken and apricot curry. Cinnamon shouldn't be savoury in my view.

WORST COLD DINNER?
Reply 1988
LEFTOVER CONGEALED MINCE AND TATTIES.

Some things are epic as cold leftover dishes. Not so, in my opinion, with Mince and Tatties (traditional style). What happens is the fat in the mince congeals and goes that opaque yellow colour, creating a waxy layer that permeates even the potato and turns the gravy utterly powdery, leaving nothing but a weird residue on the top of your mouth.... scrape it off your palate with your tongue at peril! Anyone else agree with this phenomenon?

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF A BOX OF CHOCOLATES FROM A DIVERSITY/ASSORTMENT/CHOICE POINT OF VIEW?
I'd have to say Milk Tray. They all taste like...well, milk tray. It's the only way I can describe them! None are amazing and a few are poor.

The worst example of sandwich you've eaten?
Worst for the most disappointing would have to be a Jamie Oliver sandwich (Ham, watercress, tomatoes and mustard) I made myself, where I overdid the mustard and it BURNT. My eyes didn't stop watering for like 10 minutes. My Mum did it so well. Note to self: leave mum to make this one.

WORST DESSERT YOU TYPICALLY ENJOY, BUT DONE AWFULLY?
Reply 1991
FAILURE TRIFLE.

Seriously, Trifle is number one on the "foolproof desserts" list - nobody can screw up a trifle, can they?! That's what I think to myself continuously. Yet, people still manage to screw up putting ladyfingers in a bowl, letting jelly set, and getting lumps out of packet custard. It annoys me because even if the person has a block of cheddar for a head, it's not a difficult dessert. Yet people STILL manage to ruin a Trifle. HOW?!

That isn't rhetorical. HOW DO YOU RUIN THE EASIEST PUDDING EVER?!

what's the WORST EXAMPLE of a MEAT TO OVERCOOK?
EXPENSIVE STEAK. You've bought a really tender, quality piece of meat and then you ruin it. Money, time and bitter disappointment. That's all you've made.

WORST COLD PASTA DISH/RECIPE?
Reply 1993
DAY TWO BACHELORS BACON SUPER NOODLES.

Yes, specifically that flavour and manufacturer! Koka and others don't have this offensiveness but Super Noodles have the tendency to absorb more water and become waxy/claggy and dry. Leave it another day and it becomes a "noodle cake" - stick a fork into it and you can lift the entire mass out of the bowl as a giant "noodlepop". Then, the bacon flavour has become congealed and unbearably concentrated, forming pockets of searing saltiness.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF A TYPE OF BREAD TO MAKE A SANDWICH WITH?
For me, it would be RYE BREAD. The proper, really heavy stuff. Any filling is dwarfed by the heaviness of the bread, because two pieces is like a tag team attack. One piece with like salmon and cream cheese is OK, but two pieces is too much. Imagine a PB or nutella sandwich with that. I think your mouth would never open again.

WORST SUPERMARKET OWN BRAND SWEETS?
tesco_lances.jpg
Reply 1995
VALUE ECLAIRS.

Not necessarily Tesco's, but cheapy sweets like Mint Imperials, Hard candies and sherbet saucers are pretty universally low-quality nostalgia, but growing up with Cadbury eclairs I've learned to be very, very cautious about moving "one step down" from Cadbury in ANY capacity. Value Eclairs have NONE of the good stuff you love about eclairs. No buttery melt, and the chocolate inside is like hardened chocolate-flavour syrup you put on cheap ice cream. Tried them? Do you agree?

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF A MCDONALDS PRODUCT THAT ISN'T A BURGER?
Original post by TotoMimo
VALUE ECLAIRS.

Not necessarily Tesco's, but cheapy sweets like Mint Imperials, Hard candies and sherbet saucers are pretty universally low-quality nostalgia, but growing up with Cadbury eclairs I've learned to be very, very cautious about moving "one step down" from Cadbury in ANY capacity. Value Eclairs have NONE of the good stuff you love about eclairs. No buttery melt, and the chocolate inside is like hardened chocolate-flavour syrup you put on cheap ice cream. Tried them? Do you agree?

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF A MCDONALDS PRODUCT THAT ISN'T A BURGER?

Agreed! It's so hard and has no melty fun whatsoever.

Worst Mcd's product that's not a burger for me is the pancakes and sausage with maple syrup. Sausages and maple syrup should not be together in my view. It's on their breakfast menu.

WORST FLAVOUR YOGHURT?
Reply 1997
PINK GRAPEFRUIT!

I've found yoghurts that've converted me to many flavours, like Prune, or Lime, or any manner of odd "that sounds awful" yoghurt combos. But no Pink Grapefruit yoghurt has ever really made me think "wow, I could REALLY get on board with this!!" - even the Weight Watchers Pink Grapefruit yoghurt is the only of their "citrus selection" I can't force myself to eat. It's so offensively bitter it fully negates the benefits of a creamy yoghurt!

NOW, WORST EXAMPLE OF A PUDDING TO REALLY SATISFY YOUR SWEET TOOTH?
That sounds disgusting! I didn't even know they did that flavour. (Not a grapefruit fan clearly :biggrin:)

Worst pudding to satisfy a sweet tooth? Hm.. toughie.

I'd probably say VANILLA CHEESECAKE.
0110aecc-9043-4716-9f2b-dcdc62c94893.jpg

I'm not big on cheesecake anyway, but if I was choosing one, I'd go berry topped because it offsets the heavy cheesey cake bit. But plain vanilla I think it a bit boring and dull, and if you're craving something sweet, I'd prefer sorbet to this, because it's like BAM sweetness. There's no denying it, it's almost like you've eaten a spoonful of sugar or something. This cheesecake, however, I find not only disappointing in the dessert genre, but not very sweet at all. I want sweet in ma treat!

WORST FOOD TO EAT AT YOUR DESK/WHILST ON THE COMPUTER?
Reply 1999
I've been a post-hog recently so I'll let someone else take this one, Dani X

Quick Reply

Latest