The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: You're the WORST Example!

Scroll to see replies

Uhm ridiculously expensive granolas a la dorset cereals or something similar. I can deal with all bran, bran flakes etc but this stuff is not only expensive but packed full of sugar - more like a deconstructed cake than 'cereal'.

Worst fruit to have in juice form? (excluding tomato because I'm guessing everyone would say this by default!)
Prune. I tried some a few weeks ago, and it looked and tasted exactly like a particularly vile brand of cough syrup my mum used to give me. One mouthful was enough. Never again.

Worst porridge topping? (Commonly eaten... I think we're all agreed that porridge and sweetcorn would be disgusting, but surely nobody does that?)
wait wait wait the title of this thread say I am the worst example of food and drink? :frown:
Worst porridge topping for me is just plain salt. Scottish style, it's just a bit too.. plain. Plus, I like my porridge sweet, not savoury. I'm all about the syrup me.

WORST CHOCOLATE BASED DESSERT?
I'm looking forward to Toto's response to your answer, Dani :wink: (Although I do agree. Sugar kick to start the day off, please.)

Worst chocolate based dessert: White chocolate and strawberry cheesecake. White chocolate is often disappointing; it just tastes sweet rather than actually chocolatey, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you wanted chocolate, it just doesn't work! Cheesecake can be sickly, white chocolate cheesecake doubly so, and the cheesecake overpowers whatever chocolateyness might have been in the white chocolate. The biscuit is rarely anything to shout about either. And I hate both the flavour and texture of strawberries, so they tip a disappointing dessert over into being actively unpleasant.

Worst (non-caffeine) thing to drink just before bed?
HOLICKS. Because it's nasty stuff! It's supposed to 'soothe' you, but it tastes so weird to me! I'd rather go without! But if you mean worst as in practically, I'd say a thick milkshake, because going to bed that full and with your stomach gurgling away is never fun.

WORST CHOCOLATE BAR ON OFFER AT YOUR LOCAL STORE?
Reply 2106
FOR ME, IT'S THE ROLO CHOCOLATE BAR.

Now, I know there are MUCH worse chocolate bars out there. Cheapy crap chocolate, you know? Stuff like that. There's also that Dark-and-Raspberry Prestat bar that I personally do not like. But this bar, the Rolo Chocolate Bar, is ALWAYS on offer. It's never NOT on offer. When it's not manufacturer's offer (with the big £1 sticker on the top), it's "2 for £1.50". It abuses the system! But you KNOW it goes deep when your local Nisa supermarket (ie, my "local shop" as you specified) sells it for cheaper than the tagged one pound price.

I just find it a pointless bar. With just a breath of heat the entire bar becomes a molten mass of mess, and the ratios are all wrong to get a tasty "Rolo" experience. With this kind of structure it's too fragile, and moreover the inner toffee/tight caramel feels too loose, like a runny honey. Overall it's just like Mars took their Rolo brand and tried to make it worse in every way - and then put it on offer FOREVER.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF.... SUBWAY'S BREADS (excluding wraps and flatbreads, I'm meaning their actual LOAVES, pictured)?

Original post by TotoMimo
FOR ME, IT'S THE ROLO CHOCOLATE BAR.

Now, I know there are MUCH worse chocolate bars out there. Cheapy crap chocolate, you know? Stuff like that. There's also that Dark-and-Raspberry Prestat bar that I personally do not like. But this bar, the Rolo Chocolate Bar, is ALWAYS on offer. It's never NOT on offer. When it's not manufacturer's offer (with the big £1 sticker on the top), it's "2 for £1.50". It abuses the system! But you KNOW it goes deep when your local Nisa supermarket (ie, my "local shop" as you specified) sells it for cheaper than the tagged one pound price.

I just find it a pointless bar. With just a breath of heat the entire bar becomes a molten mass of mess, and the ratios are all wrong to get a tasty "Rolo" experience. With this kind of structure it's too fragile, and moreover the inner toffee/tight caramel feels too loose, like a runny honey. Overall it's just like Mars took their Rolo brand and tried to make it worse in every way - and then put it on offer FOREVER.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF.... SUBWAY'S BREADS (excluding wraps and flatbreads, I'm meaning their actual LOAVES, pictured)?

Aside from the fact that those loaves are baked terribly :tongue: (I used to work at Subway) I think the plain wheat bread is the worst. I much prefer the breads with 'stuff on top' i.e the hearty Italian or the honey oat. I just find the plain ones quite boring and they don't have much taste/texture.

On the subject of Subway:

Worst example of a subway sandwich option? (worst topping or combination of toppings)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2108
Original post by outlaw-torn
Aside from the fact that those loaves are baked terribly :tongue: (I used to work at Subway) I think the plain wheat bread is the worst. I much prefer the breads with 'stuff on top' i.e the hearty Italian or the honey oat. I just find the plain ones quite boring and they don't have much taste/texture.

On the subject of Subway:

Worst example of a subway sandwich option? (worst topping or combination of toppings)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing when you mean option, you mean something that someone would ordinarily order, not just a random smörgåsbord of everything... either the Chicken Tikka flatbread (eww, flatbread) or a tuna sub (eww, tuna).

On a similar theme, worst supermarket sandwich?
Reply 2109
THIS BAD BOY.

I mean, Tesco, Morrisons and Marks and Spencer have brought out some outrageous one-offs, from Macaroni Cheese sandwiches, Lasagne sandwiches, just a plain jam sandwich, but this one really gave me the heave. The problem is that there's both spread AND cream on it, so don't fool yourself into thinking it'll "just taste like a cake" like I thought. Nope. Tastes like a vomit comet.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF A SUPPER FROM THE CHIP SHOP (x AND CHIPS)?
Reply 2110
No takers for the WORST EXAMPLE OF A CHIP SHOP MEAL?
Reply 2111
Last bump, and then I let the thread die, promise.
Eurgh Jesus mr dramatic! 106 pages of thread it's clearly not a dying one! Just a hard question, I don't get any meals from the chippy except battered sausage and chips and the rest look ok, but okay I'll say...
PIE AND CHIPS. Mainly because I don't really like pie, but I find the pie and chip combo too much. And if I'm going to go pure stodgy indulgence, I want my chippy and battered sausage combo.

WORST CHOCOLATE TO REFRIDGERATE?
Original post by dani_1991
Eurgh Jesus mr dramatic! 106 pages of thread it's clearly not a dying one! Just a hard question, I don't get any meals from the chippy except battered sausage and chips and the rest look ok, but okay I'll say...
PIE AND CHIPS. Mainly because I don't really like pie, but I find the pie and chip combo too much. And if I'm going to go pure stodgy indulgence, I want my chippy and battered sausage combo.

WORST CHOCOLATE TO REFRIDGERATE?

Hahaha thread goes quiet for 2 days and OP starts to plan it's funeral

oooooh that is a difficult one, I'd personally have to go with Kit-Kat or any wafer based chocolate bar because I find that the wafers taste weird after refrigerating, but that's not to say I wouldn't still eat it :colondollar:

Worst fruit to have in a drink/cocktail?
Reply 2114
CRANBERRIES!!

And my hatred of the little scarlet bombs continues!! I utterly DESPISE Cranberries. I really, REALLY do. Blueberries are sweet with zero tartness. Raspberries are sweet with a hint of tartness. Brambles are sweet with a LOT of tartness. Cranberries are just BITTER WITH A DASH OF SOUR BITTER DEATH FACE.

The grapefruit juice-based cocktail is next for similar reasons, but the worst offender is definitely my great aunt's favourite cocktail - Cranberries, Ginger and Vodka. Apparently it's popular but the only thing it'd be popular with, with me, is my fist. In it's face.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF RED MEAT?
Reply 2115
What's the worst example of... A FAT TO SPREAD ON BREAD OR TOAST?(butters, marge, oils etc - be specific!)

FULL FAT COLD BUTTER. Have you ever tried to spread it?! NIGHTMARE. Yeah, I totally wanted my bread massacred like some sort of shark victim.

WORST FRUITY FLAVOURED SWEET?
Reply 2117
TOSS UP BETWEEN FOAM BANANAS AND... THESE!!

God, how do they manage to make those two examples taste NOTHING like actual fruit?! The latter hard-shelled... solid-powder rancid centred monstrosities actually taste SOAPY. Who wants to eat SOAP? Not even gravy, chocolate or coconut could make me want to eat soap. And those things make ANYTHING tasty.

WHAT'S THE WORST EXAMPLE OF... TYPES OF CHEESECAKE?

Reply 2118
Any takers? Worst type/flavour of Cheesecake?!
The... the one you posted. Vanilla cheesecake with strawberries. I'm not an enormous cheesecake fan anyway, and I find it needs another flavour to make it anything like enjoyable rather than just weird sweet stuff. And I don't like either the taste or the texture of strawberries, because I'm weird.

Worst example of flavoured water?

Quick Reply

Latest