The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: You're the WORST Example!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MelissaJayne
Ah what, really? I think Morrisons bakery is possibly the best of them!

worst mini food? For me it's probably mini belini things with caviar. SO GROSS. And they're meant to be 'posh nosh' well give me my Iceland cocktail sausages and I'll be much happier.

worst food/drink you've seen someone add sugar to?

Maybe I've been going to the wrong ones?! I've only been to two different ones to be fair...

Edit: salad would be the chilli, I don't ever eat it.

Worst food would be butter. My mum rolls butter in sugar and eats it. No mother no! Icky sickly disgusting idea. Butter plain is horrible, and rolled in sugar is even worse.

Worst experience of over seasoning?
Original post by dani_1991

Worst food would be butter. My mum rolls butter in sugar and eats it. No mother no! Icky sickly disgusting idea. Butter plain is horrible, and rolled in sugar is even worse.

Worst experience of over seasoning?

But... buttercream icing?!

Worst experience of overseasoning is this salad thing that my college dining room does... rice salad with raisins and stuff. I think the seasoning is harissa but I'm not sure. I really like raisins in salads normally, but there's too much seasoning and it ends up tasting a bit like soap.

Worst example of Advent calendar chocolate?
Poundland. The extra money is worth it, go Tesco, trust me.

Worst pickle/chutney and ' ' combo you've had
Reply 1583
I tend to avoid most "Chutneys and Jams, the sweet stuff to add to your savoury stuff" - but there is one that keeps popping up that I GENUINELY never understand. And it's MANGO CHUTNEY WITH A SPICY INDIAN CURRY. To have a flavourful, spicy, savoury curry and then put frigging FRUIT JAM on it? WHY?!

But one particular type stands out as the worst of the worst. Not only was the curry DIRE, a microwaved affair that felt like I was eating some kind of shoesole (it was chicken... apparently) but the mango chutney was utterly abysmal, a cup filled with the most sugary, granular sweet compote stuff I've ever tasted.

Six quid I'll never ever get back.. WETHERSPOONS CURRY NIGHT.

WORST FOOD YOU'VE BEEN BOUGHT AS AN OFF-THE-CUFF SURPRISE "TREAT" BY A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER?
Due to my love of chewing gum, I was once bought a pack of gum which LOOKED delightful, luminous pink and shiny, however, it was some sort of hemp and rubber flavour. It was an Asian variation of gum, and I'm afraid it is NOT something they do well. I had two pieces to look polite, I think the rest, even this two years later, remains in my drawer at home.

Worst Hotel Chocolat product? (If you've never bought any, here's the website - http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/ - pick one! And bravo to you, that place is bloody expensive, you've probably saved yourself a fair bit!)
Reply 1585
I honestly don't think I've ever eaten a bad Hotel Chocolat product. Even the liqueurs and fruit truffles (which I normally find easiest to gripe about) are phenomenal.

I love when Easter comes around, because not only are their stupidly-thick eggs sexworthy:

But I always, ALWAYS treat myself to my favourite thing they do - a Dozen Quails' Eggs. Though they give you two of the salted caramel which is a bit of a copout, that's like saying "Aw NO, you mean there's no more supermodels and now I have to kiss the ones I already kissed AGAIN? Okayyyyy then...."

CANNOT ANSWER THIS. SWAWY.
Original post by TotoMimo
I honestly don't think I've ever eaten a bad Hotel Chocolat product. Even the liqueurs and fruit truffles (which I normally find easiest to gripe about) are phenomenal.

I love when Easter comes around, because not only are their stupidly-thick eggs sexworthy:

But I always, ALWAYS treat myself to my favourite thing they do - a Dozen Quails' Eggs. Though they give you two of the salted caramel which is a bit of a copout, that's like saying "Aw NO, you mean there's no more supermodels and now I have to kiss the ones I already kissed AGAIN? Okayyyyy then...."

CANNOT ANSWER THIS. SWAWY.

Someone's clearly made of money :wink:

They have chocolate pasta though?!
Reply 1587
Honestly though Dani, it's worth the expense. And yes, I do make a modest sum for being a pro. *rubs nails on shirt*

So yeah, I still cannot comment on a bad product from Hotel Choc.
I second this Toto! I had their dipping set today, it was..EPIC.
FINE. Due to our love of HC (the mini chocolate gingerbread they have at the moment are SO cute) I will change it:

WORST SWEET/CHOCOLATE WHICH IS RUINED BY ONE COMPONENT OF IT?
Anything with ginger in it. Really can't stand chocolate with ginger in. Bought some for dad and he offered me some. It was so disgusting.

Worst example of food you only eat at Christmas?
Xmas cake. In general, I love all the Xmas food..even sprouts. Give me a big bowl of sprouts! But Xmas cake goes against all tastes I enjoy. Thick icing..ugh. Marzipan..ugh. Dense heavy fruit cake..ugh. Brandy/alcohol flavour sweet..ugh.

Worst food you've seen stuffed in a food?
Of all time, it's hard to say. But of late, stuffed dates would be the winner. They seem to be in the rise, like an epidemic or something... Stuffed with marzipan was odd in my view, then I though well fruit cake and desserts... Maybe not then. Then I saw stuffed with Parmesan and wrapped in bacon, or goats cheese and pecans. Getting a bit odd now. Then pistachio stuffed with coconut. We have a weird worst winner! I much prefer dates dried and chopped anyway, but this is just weird.

WORST 'FRUIT YOU USUALLY LOVE BUT IT RUINED BY A CERTAIN DISH'?
Reply 1593
I like raisins as something to snack on throughout the day but within a curry it is a food crime. Savoury dishes with fruit ingreidients is a big NO NO.

Worst example of a hamburger you've bought from a fast food outlet?
Reply 1594
Hm, it would DEFINITELY be McDonalds. Some of their burgers are AWFUL. My worst hands-down McDonalds experience was when I got a McChicken Sandwich with a pustule in it, I gagged and went off their chicken for YEARS after that. But as you specified HAMBURGER, I would say either their really awful Bagel Burgers they brought out a few years back, or the absolutely rotten Aubergine paste burger that I got at the airport several years ago that had aubergine slices and dressing on it. It tasted like... metal. That's the only way I can describe it. ROTTEN.

Off topic but thought I'd mention; one burger that DID sound questionable but I LOVED was Burger King's Christmas Brussels Sprout burger thing, that had the sprout croquette on it. They did an awesome job with that. I actually thought that was LAST year but after googling turns out it was 2010!! WHERE DOES THE TIME GO.

WORST EXAMPLE OF A CARAMEL-BASED CHOCOLATE FROM A BOX O' CHOCS?
Reply 1595
I don't know it's name but it has a part glassy crystally interior which is very hard to chew and is like eating a bit of glass.

Worst meat to eat with onions?
Reply 1596
Original post by Fusion
I don't know it's name but it has a part glassy crystally interior which is very hard to chew and is like eating a bit of glass.

Worst meat to eat with onions?

Daim/Skor by any chance? I won't rest until I uncover your super vague answer!
Reply 1597
Original post by TotoMimo
Daim/Skor by any chance? I won't rest until I uncover your super vague answer!

Now that you mention It does share the same glassy attribute that is inherent in Dime bars, but this is a square chocolate often found in boxes (p.s. dime bars are much tastier)
Reply 1598
(I STILL cannot think of what "glassy caramel" you're referring to)

WORST MEAT TO EAT WITH ONIONS:

HAS to be either Turkey or Chicken. "Light" poultries are very delicate in taste and as such, fare very poorly against the peppery spice of raw or the grainy sweetness of cooked onions. Red meats, game, offal etc all have a stronger iron taste which effectively offset the onion taste, but light poultry does not.

WORST EXAMPLE OF A CHOCOLATE BAR THAT YOU WANT TO LAST YOU AGES?
Reply 1599
Seeing as the thread needs revived I'll alter to:

WORST EXAMPLE OF A CANNED SOUP IF YOU WANT A HEARTY MEAL?

Quick Reply

Latest