The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Silent--ly
No :nope:

At the moment I'm considering applying to Imperial, Warwick, Bath, Durham, UCL, Bristol and LSE. I haven't been to any open days yet because my C4 exam was so late. My school are still pressuring me to apply to Oxford though :dontknow: I'm going to the open day in September, but I don't really like the idea of it; mainly because of the pressure and I dislike the sound of the collegiate system :s-smilie:

Very similair to me, just like the last time I asked :tongue:

I know what you mean. I'm starting to consider strongly the places that ask for UMS scores though, I surprised myself today. So Cambridge and UCL are becoming more likely but I'm not sure about UCL in general!
Reply 1981
Original post by Mq786
Hi,
Am just wondering if it is worth applying to Oxford with these AS grades:

Government and Politics- A
History- A
Classics- A
German- B (2 UMS of an A so will probably send for remark)
General Studies- A
Critical Thinking- B (once again can get that up to an A hopefully although I have been told universities do tend to ignore it)

I would ideally want to do history and politics or maybe classics but don't know whether my grades are good enough. :/
Thanks.

You have a string of A's, one near miss and a B in a subject that doesn't matter. That sounds pretty good to me! Grades are only one part of the application, but you certainly shouldn't rule out applying when you have a good solid set like that :smile:
Reply 1982
Original post by Zoedotdot
You have a string of A's, one near miss and a B in a subject that doesn't matter. That sounds pretty good to me! Grades are only one part of the application, but you certainly shouldn't rule out applying when you have a good solid set like that :smile:

Thanks, I was just really gutted with the B in German. But yep hopefully the rest will make up for that. :smile:
Original post by AnimalSpirit
How?! :lolwut: :shock:

I'd rather be in a bigger crowd, and get to know lots of people doing my subject. I know someone doing maths at Oxford and all her friends study other things, as there are only 5 other mathematicians in her college. She said all her tutorials have been in-college, so she's never really had the opportunity to meet other people. Also, having been in a class of 32 pretty much all the way through secondary school, one-on-one tuition sounds intense :afraid:

Original post by CD315
Very similair to me, just like the last time I asked :tongue:

I know what you mean. I'm starting to consider strongly the places that ask for UMS scores though, I surprised myself today. So Cambridge and UCL are becoming more likely but I'm not sure about UCL in general!

Yay :awesome:

I was mostly pleased with my UMS, although scores like 99 frustrate me :tongue: Seriously, what was that one mark in FP1?! :ninja:
Reply 1984
Original post by Mq786
Thanks, I was just really gutted with the B in German. But yep hopefully the rest will make up for that. :smile:

Yeah, it's frustrating to feel like you've not got the grade that you really wanted. But it may go up in a remark, and even if it doesn't it's not the end of the world at all! If you take it on to A2 you'll probably be able to make up for it, and if you drop it then it's not an AS grade to be ashamed of anyway. Your other grades are great and are possibly in more relevant subjects, and that's what matters most :smile:
Reply 1985
Original post by Zoedotdot
Yeah, it's frustrating to feel like you've not got the grade that you really wanted. But it may go up in a remark, and even if it doesn't it's not the end of the world at all! If you take it on to A2 you'll probably be able to make up for it, and if you drop it then it's not an AS grade to be ashamed of anyway. Your other grades are great and are possibly in more relevant subjects, and that's what matters most :smile:

It definitely is and hopefully I will be able to bring it up :s-smilie: so do you reckon I've got a chance at Oxford then?
Hey, just got my semi-disappointing AS results.

I want to apply for English, and got As in Eng Lit & RS (woop) and hopefully when the re-mark comes back an A in History (currently stands at a B - but some strange marking happened with our whole class). I've already got an A in Critical Thinking. I took my French A Level a year early and sadly got a B (A in the AS and a disastrous C in the A2 - at least it's my 4th one, I was always going to do worst in it).

My As in RS & Eng Lit were around 90% so I should get predicted A*s in those, and maybe even an A* in History if the re-mark comes back favourably, but do you think it's still worth applying to Oxford despite the B in French A Level?

I've already started working really hard for this year to make sure there aren't any French-like disasters, but my GCSEs aren't great (4A*s and 7As), although I should have a very strong personal statement and know my testimonials are great.
Original post by popwillis
Hey, just got my semi-disappointing AS results.

I want to apply for English, and got As in Eng Lit & RS (woop) and hopefully when the re-mark comes back an A in History (currently stands at a B - but some strange marking happened with our whole class). I've already got an A in Critical Thinking. I took my French A Level a year early and sadly got a B (A in the AS and a disastrous C in the A2 - at least it's my 4th one, I was always going to do worst in it).

My As in RS & Eng Lit were around 90% so I should get predicted A*s in those, and maybe even an A* in History if the re-mark comes back favourably, but do you think it's still worth applying to Oxford despite the B in French A Level?

I've already started working really hard for this year to make sure there aren't any French-like disasters, but my GCSEs aren't great (4A*s and 7As), although I should have a very strong personal statement and know my testimonials are great.

I'd give it a go, if you think you can nail the ELAT :h:
Reply 1988
Original post by Mq786
It definitely is and hopefully I will be able to bring it up :s-smilie: so do you reckon I've got a chance at Oxford then?

As good a chance as anyone really :smile: I'm not an admissions tutor so I couldn't even presume to guess, but what you've done is to secure yourself a good foundation of grades to apply from, and from here on in it's down to the other parts of the process :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'd give it a go, if you think you can nail the ELAT :h:

Yeah I probably will have a go :smile: I had a terrible time emotionally last year so that might explain the French A2... and after the re-mark (fingers crossed) 4As at AS and a B at A Level can't be a disaster... and A2 english looks far more my cup of tea!
Reply 1990
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Don't worry about it :nah: Congrats on your results :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: My only worry is that they bring it up in an interview and ask my why this was. Not yet thought of answer for that lol
Original post by Maxima
Thanks :smile: My only worry is that they bring it up in an interview and ask my why this was. Not yet thought of answer for that lol

I don't think Critical Thinking is something Oxford dons pay much attention to. I'd be surprised if they asked about it, tbh :yes:
I finally managed to convince my all "A"s friend to think about applying to Oxford as a result of...her results. She had worries about fitting in with a "posh" student body. SUCCESS 8D

The only grade I am disappointed with is my History "B", but to be fair I was sick right before the exam. Ah, luck.
Reply 1993
Original post by Silent--ly
No :nope:

At the moment I'm considering applying to Imperial, Warwick, Bath, Durham, UCL, Bristol and LSE. I haven't been to any open days yet because my C4 exam was so late. My school are still pressuring me to apply to Oxford though :dontknow: I'm going to the open day in September, but I don't really like the idea of it; mainly because of the pressure and I dislike the sound of the collegiate system :s-smilie:

I'm sure you probably already know this but I just thought I should point out that Durham is collegiate too. I think the colleges are slightly larger than at Oxford so I guess it could still work well for you :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Kesang
Oxford can see only your grades, not your scores, right?
Correct :smile:
Just going to join this thread as another hopeful.

4 A's at AS and hoping to get in for Law.

Doing an EPQ and the Personal Statement is killing me at the moment. Let alone the 7/8 books I still need to read :O
Original post by berryripple
All systems go now!

Congrats on the A in Chemistry :tongue:.

I was 2 UMS off, so sending it for a re-mark aha.
Thank you! :smile: I managed to get 8 UMS into the A. Very pleased.

Good luck with the re-mark. An increase of 2 UMS should be very achievable!

See, you were freaking out about nothing :').

Thank you! I was pretty much on high A (88%) from my Module 1 and Module 3, and Module 2 went and cocked it up rofl, I ended up getting a C in that paper :colondollar:.
Is anyone else already nervous about interviews or am I just a freak?
Reply 1999
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Is anyone else already nervous about interviews or am I just a freak?

You're not a freak! I'm nervous too :tongue:

You guys are freak(ishly confident) ! I'm terrified about even getting an interview :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending