The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tratto
Thank you, do I have to e-mail every single college or there is a specific webpage?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/visiting_oxford_and_open_days/visiting_colleges/college_open_days.html
Original post by Tratto
Thank you, do I have to e-mail every single college or there is a specific webpage?

Check the websites of the colleges you're interested in. Most colleges offer accommodation. For Merton, you just ticked the accommodation box when filling out the open day booking form.
Reply 983
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Check the websites of the colleges you're interested in. Most colleges offer accommodation. For Merton, you just ticked the accommodation box when filling out the open day booking form.

How much does it cost in general?
Original post by such_a_lady
Best part: he was French :lol:

I've been to Oxford something like 9 times now? Let me see...

1. Trip with school Sept 2010 (rainy, cold, boring)
2. Open Day May 2011
3. Date June 2011
4. Date June 2011
5. Open Day/Date July 2011
6. European Youth Exchange Trip July 2011
7. Visit with friend Oct 2011
8. Interviews Dec 2011

I swear I've missed one :lol: Nevertheless, I still get very lost trying to find the Covered Market, for example, or the Clarendon Shopping Centre :frown:

Wow, you beat me! :grin:

Original post by medbh4805
this thread is so different to our one

Where is the casual innuendo? where is the infighting? where is the trolling? WHERE ARE THE MEMES?

:sigh:

This!

(Yes, I know that post is for ages ago, I ended up in the middle of the thread by mistake and saw it :tongue:)
Original post by Tratto
How much does it cost in general?

Nothing! And they give you supper and breakfast for free, too.
So jealous of you guys :frown:

At least we had decent weather in May '11, so I can't complain there :P

Don't be jealous, I had to drive down from oop north the night before and the hotel bed was pretty lumpy :tongue:

But it was a really valuable experience talking to the undergrads. And the faculty all seem really nice and enthusiastic. Although...there are around 60 applications every year for Japanese and only about 12 or so get in. eek!

All the more reason to GET BACK TO REVISING *scolds self* :colondollar:
Reply 987
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Nothing! And they give you supper and breakfast for free, too.

Very interesting, can I stay for 2 nights?
Original post by Tratto
Very interesting, can I stay for 2 nights?

Yes, but I think you'd have to do one at one college and one at another. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, as you'll get to see more.
Hello, I'm an international student new to the Student Room. I'd like to do law at Oxford, so I'm going to fly over for the open days in July. I've been doing a lot of research, but still got a couple of questions. The colleges I'm interested in are St Johns and Univ.

1. Is it at least partly true that St Johns is likely to accept students who are of wealthy backgrounds? (compared to other colleges, St Johns receives so many applications too)

2. I've read everything I could possibly find on Univ. I'm guessing it's not such a popular pick? Has anyone been there to give some feedback?

3. It's a complicated situation here. I've got this one summer, and I'm struggling to choose if I should put more time into IELTS&LNAT, interview prep (as in reading news and studying critical thinking books) or working experience. I've heard that working experience would be very helpful for my application? I'd have to balance with my studies for my public exams too.

Thank you!
x

Just decided to go to Oxford on Tuesday :colondollar: Geoffrey Hill lecture + awesome exhibition at the Bod.
Original post by icycreamy6
Hello, I'm an international student new to the Student Room. I'd like to do law at Oxford, so I'm going to fly over for the open days in July. I've been doing a lot of research, but still got a couple of questions. The colleges I'm interested in are St Johns and Univ.

1. Is it at least partly true that St Johns is likely to accept students who are of wealthy backgrounds? (compared to other colleges, St Johns receives so many applications too)

2. I've read everything I could possibly find on Univ. I'm guessing it's not such a popular pick? Has anyone been there to give some feedback?

3. It's a complicated situation here. I've got this one summer, and I'm struggling to choose if I should put more time into IELTS&LNAT, interview prep (as in reading news and studying critical thinking books) or working experience. I've heard that working experience would be very helpful for my application? I'd have to balance with my studies for my public exams too.

Thank you!

i dunno anything about university college really but for the first one, i'd say it's not true at all that they're more likely to accept you if you're rich. if anything i'd say it's the other way round, usually oxford is really big on accepting people from lower income backgrounds. ermmm and i'd say getting good marks etc is more important than work experience in general but i think work experience is quite important/can be beneficial for law as well?
Reply 992
Original post by icycreamy6

No.

AFAIK Johns isn't even in the top 5 for having more private school than state school students - arguably one way to determine the wealth of people's backgrounds. I think they are quite balanced - almost 50% from each type of school, perhaps slightly more maintained (state) school students.

Oxford work hard to encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, and a lot of their schemes are directed at those from backgrounds who are the least likely to apply to Oxford (or any top universities for that matter).

But when it comes to deciding who to offer places to, there should be no positive discrimination. They will take the best candidates for the course. Afterwards they may look over their "offerees" and realise that from an Access point of view they have done well, and then shout from the rooftops about it (not naming names but...Mansfield).
Original post by Kalliope
I want to pick up a guy in Blackwells! That sounds awesome! Lots of visits there! I went to one last September and on a TSR meet for the CY11 Thread beforehand (:cool:), a study day - and two this time round. I wonder if I'll end up going next Sept as well :colondollar:

Ahem.

With whom? :tongue:
Original post by Expecto_Patronum
Ahem.

love the username :cool:
Original post by tooambitious
love the username :cool:

Why thank you! :biggrin:
Ahem.

The TSR meet? Oh, that was with -emma-, MissEG, Heptapus, Ears, Script and minimus777. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Kalliope
The TSR meet? Oh, that was with -emma-, MissEG, Heptapus, Ears, Script and minimus777. :smile:

Spoiler

Oh. It's like that, is it?

:cry:
Oh. It's like that, is it?

:cry:

Face it honey, you're just not cool enough :no: besides, I think your username is silly, because everyone know Harry Potter is soo last decade :ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kalliope
face it honey, you're just not cool enough :no: Besides, i think your username is silly, because everyone know harry potter is soo last decade :ninja:

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome me home! :cry2:

Latest

Trending

Trending