The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Revent

I am currently working as a HCA at a hospital. At the end of March, I am hoping to go travelling for a few months on this program. If I have some money left over, I hope to go interrailing in the summer as well.

How long did it take you to find/get a job as a HCA? I've applied to a load of places but it just seems to be taking forever for them to reply to me :frown:
I really wanna get a job, because similar to you, hopefully in March time I can go volunteering in Switzerland :biggrin:
Reply 1181
Original post by Nandos94
How long did it take you to find/get a job as a HCA? I've applied to a load of places but it just seems to be taking forever for them to reply to me :frown:
I really wanna get a job, because similar to you, hopefully in March time I can go volunteering in Switzerland :biggrin:

Hi, I got this job on my first attempt actually! I guess a factor of luck was involved but I managed to get a lot of help from a TSR member here which made the whole application process easier. If you want, you can PM me for some more specific help; I can even read over your personal statement (for the job) for you and point out errors or things you should add. I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope you get to go to Switzerland! (Bear in mind that Switzerland is on the whole a really expensive country; more so than even the UK so be prepared to spend a lot of money on everything.)
Original post by Revent
Hi, I got this job on my first attempt actually! I guess a factor of luck was involved but I managed to get a lot of help from a TSR member here which made the whole application process easier. If you want, you can PM me for some more specific help; I can even read over your personal statement (for the job) for you and point out errors or things you should add. I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope you get to go to Switzerland! (Bear in mind that Switzerland is on the whole a really expensive country; more so than even the UK so be prepared to spend a lot of money on everything.)

Cheers will do :smile: Check you pm now, asked you some stuff.
Original post by Revent
I am currently working as a HCA at a hospital. At the end of March, I am hoping to go travelling for a few months on this program. If I have some money left over, I hope to go interrailing in the summer as well.

Original post by J1994D
I put mine just after my work experience paragraph as I linked it by saying what I did/doing in my gap year as work experience etc. I'm working as a HCA and then when I get money I'll go abroad around may/June time :smile: you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ah I see, I think I'm just going to put mine at the end. I live in Glasgow so unfortunately we don't have HCA's in Scotland :frown: I've got a job at a care home and I've done more w/e in a hospital etc. I really want to go travelling too! I'm just not sure which one these types of websites is reliable :/ Still I definitely want to make the most of this year :biggrin:
Reply 1184
Original post by thesimpleton
Ah I see, I think I'm just going to put mine at the end. I live in Glasgow so unfortunately we don't have HCA's in Scotland :frown: I've got a job at a care home and I've done more w/e in a hospital etc. I really want to go travelling too! I'm just not sure which one these types of websites is reliable :/ Still I definitely want to make the most of this year :biggrin:

A job is a job- be glad you have one! It may not be a hospital, but your job is in an environment that requires caring for others and working with (one of) the most vulnerable member of our society. There is lots to learn from it.
I think I am going to go with RealGap because they seem pretty convenient and I like the packages they are offering (and I am too lazy to look around).
Reply 1185
Original post by Revent
Yes, but there is no harm in having turned up and not revised. Besides, if anything, you may help others by bringing the overall required mark for a certain grade down, even if only by a little bit, if you do poorly (My logic for deciding to turn up to a Biology exam last year!).

Haha I love that idea.
Original post by Revent
A job is a job- be glad you have one! It may not be a hospital, but your job is in an environment that requires caring for others and working with (one of) the most vulnerable member of our society. There is lots to learn from it.
I think I am going to go with RealGap because they seem pretty convenient and I like the packages they are offering (and I am too lazy to look around).

I had been looking for ages for a job so don't worry, I'm VERY glad I have one :tongue: That's true, it will hopefully look good on my application :smile: I had a browse and it looks really good! It's got loads of good reviews as well so it seems pretty reliable. There is so much to choose from haha. Where abouts and what type of package are you thinking of going for? The other websites I've heard of are Gap Medics and Global Volunteer Projects but they're more geared towards medical placements.
Reply 1187
oh wow i didn't realise this thread existed stupid me ! I'm mainly planning to go travelling and continue with a few voluntary stuff. i just really wanna see the world and i think this will be the only opportunity ill get :smile:
Reply 1188
Original post by thesimpleton
I had been looking for ages for a job so don't worry, I'm VERY glad I have one :tongue: That's true, it will hopefully look good on my application :smile: I had a browse and it looks really good! It's got loads of good reviews as well so it seems pretty reliable. There is so much to choose from haha. Where abouts and what type of package are you thinking of going for? The other websites I've heard of are Gap Medics and Global Volunteer Projects but they're more geared towards medical placements.

I am interested in the Complete South East Asia Gap Year program that they have.

Gap Medics seems interesting, but at the same time, I felt that it was too limited. There are only four destinations; two of which I'm already going to if I decide to stick with Real Gap. As for prices, Gap Medics is extortion in comparison; with my program, I am paying roughly £7000 for four months which averages out to £600 a week. Bear in mind flights are included. With Gap Medics, two weeks in the Caribbean will cost me nearly £800 per week and flights are still not included in this! However, I guess the service we get from Gap Medics will also be 'better'. For example, this seems to be the accommodation if I decided to go to the Caribbean:

Reply 1189
The Gap Medics trips look amazing, would love to go to thailand! but does anyone who's been know what you can do in terms of travelling? Do people on those courses carry on after or just go home?
Guys, I have just received an email stating that I have an interview for a HCA job. :zomg:

I want to secure a job for my gap year, so do I do continue to apply for jobs or wait after my HCA interview? :confused:
Original post by This Honest
Guys, I have just received an email stating that I have an interview for a HCA job. :zomg:

I want to secure a job for my gap year, so do I do continue to apply for jobs or wait after my HCA interview? :confused:

Care home or hospital? You might as well keep applying, but if you've got an interview you've basically got the job :smile: everyone at my care home who gets interviewed has got the job, they tend to interview the candidate they like I think :smile:

Original post by J1994D
Care home or hospital? You might as well keep applying, but if you've got an interview you've basically got the job :smile: everyone at my care home who gets interviewed has got the job, they tend to interview the candidate they like I think :smile:

It's in a hospital :yes:
:tongue: I hope so, love the hospital environment, do you know how many people hospitals generally invite to interview?
:tongue: I hope so, love the hospital environment, do you know how many people hospitals generally invite to interview?

Well done :biggrin: I'd prefer a hospital but this care home will do :smile: I can't see them inviting many as its not a hard job and it would just waste time to interview a lot of people. At my care home for my job and jobs since I've been there, only 1 person has been interviewed :smile: good luck! Where are you applying to uni?

Original post by J1994D
Well done :biggrin: I'd prefer a hospital but this care home will do :smile: I can't see them inviting many as its not a hard job and it would just waste time to interview a lot of people. At my care home for my job and jobs since I've been there, only 1 person has been interviewed :smile: good luck! Where are you applying to uni?

Um...I'm thinking of applying to Kings EMDP (6 year course) and Liverpool, and possible cardiff. Haven't sorted my 4th or 5th option yet :sigh:

How about you? :beard:
Um...I'm thinking of applying to Kings EMDP (6 year course) and Liverpool, and possible cardiff. Haven't sorted my 4th or 5th option yet :sigh:

How about you? :beard:

HCA is really good experience, I've learnt so much already which will help in medicine :smile: nice, I'm applying to manchester, Exeter, barts and Plymouth + Bristol for chemistry :biggrin: 4 rejections again will kill me... :L

Original post by J1994D
HCA is really good experience, I've learnt so much already which will help in medicine :smile: nice, I'm applying to manchester, Exeter, barts and Plymouth + Bristol for chemistry :biggrin: 4 rejections again will kill me... :L

That's great, hopefully I'll learn a lot too.
:zomg: Good luck with med, i'm sure we're all in a better position than last time
Reply 1197
Original post by lcsurfer
do you have work experience anywhere? i got my first 'proper' job at 16 because of the w/e i had from school.
No need to list every single GCSE you have, it irritates that crap out of employers. fair enough your 16 but just put 12 A*-C's and then say what grades you got in maths and english.
So for you as a 6th former and you are hadning CV's out the best way to lay out your CV (well that I have seen from someone of your age) is what you call a skills based CV. where it demonstrates your skills over your experience in school or in EC's... so here would be a rough structure for you:

Name and basic details

Introduction: who are you? why are you good for the job?

The the skills bit, use the following headings as an example
Leadership: examples of leadership, DoE? scouts? school?
Teamwork: same as above
Communication skills: same as above
ICT skills: same as above
You can put few more in

Qualifications: keep this short, i don't need to know that you have an A* in RE or Food tech, a nice (insert number) of GCSE's A*-C here with your grades for maths and english

If you ahve work experience put it in here: if not leave it out

google a skills based CV, they are good. I still use one now as a grad.

Thank you for the advice! Got the job today and am pretty chuffed! :-)

I guess I'll join the club, although I've just had an invitation to a pre-interview test...I've been told it's pretty easy so hopefully I get an interview too :biggrin:
Original post by Nandos94
I guess I'll join the club, although I've just had an invitation to a pre-interview test...I've been told it's pretty easy so hopefully I get an interview too :biggrin:

Yeah you'll fly through the test :tongue:

What I find funny is that, they invite me to interview after a month of me submitting my application. I gave it in on the 10th of August and completely forgot about it....perhaps they've interviewed a lot of people since then :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending