The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Dr.Acula
Hey, mind if I PM you my PS to look over, for a HCA job? :smile:

Go for it! However, it will have to wait until later tonight as I am heading off to work now.

Original post by alt31
KCL, Leeds and Liverpool :smile:

Will get back to you once I get back from work tonight. I believe there are some more choices but they have some specific requirements alongside. Imperial for example want you to have previously applied for you to be considered as a resit applicant.
(edited 11 years ago)
UCAS application---> Paid and sent! Whoopieeeeeeee!!! :dance:
Reply 1382
Original post by Revent

Will get back to you once I get back from work tonight. I believe there are some more choices but they have some specific requirements alongside. Imperial for example want you to have previously applied for you to be considered as a resit applicant.

thanks :smile: any help much appreciated (didn't apply to imperial last time :frown: )
Reply 1383
Original post by Dr.Acula
Guys, you know when applying for a job on NHS jobs, in the employment history section could I put down my voluntary work? Since I've never had a job before so I don't have any employment history. :s

Yes, put it in.
Interview Preparation Thread has been started for those who want to start early!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2135316#post39711625
Original post by Polioz
My As grades were AAAB, predicted AAA. My reference was good to my knowledge , thinking back I dont think my personal statement was that great its been greatly improved this time around. For work experience I had week at a hospital and 6 months volunteering at care home + organizing Christmas party for 100 elderly peeps.

extra curr was few martial arts and winter sports competitions :P.

ukcat was 580 perhaps that may have been the cause. Im not really sure how their selection process works but I think their ukcat cut off was 625 some one said? I dont know if thats official or anything.

Regardless I had 4 rejections prior to interview :smile: mostly I would say because of my abysmal ukcat. I had to apply to uni's that dont really care much about ukcat. Therefore they look at GCSE a lot I suppose and mine are meh.

Yeah your application I would've thought was real good until the UKCAT probablybwhat may have let you down :/ ....so where you applying this year ?
Reply 1386
Hi guys, gap year applicant after 3 pre interview rejections last year which were probably down to my choice of unis as much as anything else. I'd like some advice and was hoping you guys would let me know if the unis I'm thinking of applying to this time round suit my application.
Thinking of applying to Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter and Newcastle though again I'm open to suggestions.
My stats are:
AAAa at A level
UKCAT 742.5 (all subtests over 700)
7A* and 4 As at GCSE
Got an alright personal statement (lots of work experience and volunteering, but I'm not the best at putting thoughts into words) though it's a vast improvement on last year.
Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1387
Original post by EternalDoom
Interview Preparation Thread has been started for those who want to start early!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2135316#post39711625

Thanks!
Reply 1388
Original post by flyylikejetz
Yeah your application I would've thought was real good until the UKCAT probablybwhat may have let you down :/ ....so where you applying this year ?

depends on how my ukcat goes, If its 700+

Newcastle, sheffield, manchester, hull-york

manchester , sheffield , bsms , hull york

sheffield , bsms, southampton, Queens belfast

What about yourself ? :smile:
Original post by Polioz
depends on how my ukcat goes, If its 700+

Newcastle, sheffield, manchester, hull-york

manchester , sheffield , bsms , hull york

sheffield , bsms, southampton, Queens belfast

What about yourself ? :smile:

Between
Keele, Durham, Southampton, Sheffield & Exeter
Reply 1390
Between
Keele, Durham, Southampton, Sheffield & Exeter

do you know how they score applicants specifically at southampton? the website isnt clear
Original post by Polioz
do you know how they score applicants specifically at southampton? the website isnt clear

Once you meet their Academic requirements, they aren't looked at further so as long as you predicted/achieved 'AAAe' that is all that matters.
Then they score your p/s, extra-curriculars & reference and on the bases of that if you are a 'school-leaver' you are offered a place. There are no Interviews but at graduate level there are. So I guess you have to be scoring quite highly on the extra-curriculars etc...

*Quite similar to Keele in the regards that they are 'non-academic qualities heavy' once you meet their standard offer Keele being AAAb/A*ABb
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1392
Once you meet their Academic requirements, they aren't looked at further so as long as you predicted/achieved 'AAAe' that is all that matters.
Then they score your p/s, extra-curriculars & reference and on the bases of that if you are a 'school-leaver' you are offered a place. There are no Interviews but at graduate level there are. So I guess you have to be scoring quite highly on the extra-curriculars etc...

*Quite similar to Keele in the regards that they are 'non-academic qualities heavy' once you meet their standard offer Keele being AAAb/A*ABb

Thanks. What sort of extracurriculars do you have by the way?

I dont think mine are up to par, just a few martial arts, gym and winter sports -.-. Not amazing at them either, I just do them mostly for fun.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Polioz
Thanks. What sort of extracurriculars do you have by the way?

I dont think mine are up to par, just a few martial arts, gym and winter sports -.-. Not amazing at them either, I just do them mostly for fun.

Apart fromt he obvious work expierence & volunteering.

vice president of sixth form committee (took sooo much of my time organising rag weeks & events), prefect,cpt of basketball team & mentoring y6 reading & peer listener.
I also did EPQ pretty sure it should be an extra-curricular since it wasn't compulsory.

your stuff looks good its different with the martial arts & winter sports i like it, mine is generic oh well.
Reply 1394
Apart fromt he obvious work expierence & volunteering.

vice president of sixth form committee (took sooo much of my time organising rag weeks & events), prefect,cpt of basketball team & mentoring y6 reading & peer listener.
I also did EPQ pretty sure it should be an extra-curricular since it wasn't compulsory.

your stuff looks good its different with the martial arts & winter sports i like it, mine is generic oh well.

yours sounds awesome. I think we are all just harsh on ourselves :tongue:
Reply 1395
Original post by alt31
thanks :smile: any help much appreciated (didn't apply to imperial last time :frown: )

St Andrews-Candidates who take more than the normal number of years to obtain their qualifications will only be considered if there have been extenuating circumstances that are fully documented.

Exceptional circumstances might include, for example, ill health during the final year of study. It might also include attending a school which traditionally has a low number of pupils going on to Higher Education.

We make our decisions based on performance at Scottish Higher or the first sitting of A2 Levels, except in exceptional circumstances.

Aberdeen- We do not normally consider applicants who have achieved less than our minimum academic requirements or who are re-sitting their examinations to upgrade results unless very serious personal difficulties at the time of the first sitting can be demonstrated. Appropriate supporting documentation therefore must be supplied from:

Academic tutors to verify very exceptional extenuating circumstances that have been declared at the time of the first sitting leading to this underachievement, plus
Other professional bodies that have had appropriate involvement with the applicant's difficulties (e.g. hospital/GP certification).
To be considered, any serious personal difficulties experienced at the time of undertaking an examination must be declared at the time and validated immediately. This will allow for support for an academic appeal for a lower than expected result. Retrospective claims for extenuating circumstances will not be considered after receipt of a low result.

UEA--Norwich Medical School will consider A-Level resits if BBB was obtained at the first sitting.

Candidates who are wishing to resit one subject only will be required to have a predicted A*
Candidates resitting two A-Level subjects are required to have predicted grades of A*A
Candidates resitting three A-Level subjects are required to have predicted grades of A*AA

All candidates should have a fourth AS or A level at grade B

Resit AS modules. Your full A level (AS & A2) should be completed within a two year period. This may include resitting modules. Any additional study outside this period will be subject to our resit policy.

Exeter-The University does not discriminate against applicants who have re-taken part or all of a qualification and will treat an achieved or predicted qualification grade in the same way irrespective of whether or not re-takes are involved.
In addition to any programme-specific requirements, the University would normally expect evidence of some recognised systematic course of study within the three years prior to the start of a programme.

These I think seem to be the strongest choices for resit candidates after checking through all of the university websites. You do owe me for this! It took some time for me to gather all of that information! Cookies shall suffice.

I did check a few more but got too lazy to copy and paste their policy, but Exeter and UEA seem to be more friendly for resit candidates.

Original post by lcsurfer
here's a clever tip, when it says employment does it say paid employment? if not put it in there.
f it says paid employment like UCAS does there should be a section to talk about compitencies etc put it in there.
I have semi voluntary work i.e. i was given an allowance when working abroad but i put that in employment

I personally left it blank and still got the job.
Reply 1396
Original post by Tadmory
Hi guys, gap year applicant after 3 pre interview rejections last year which were probably down to my choice of unis as much as anything else. I'd like some advice and was hoping you guys would let me know if the unis I'm thinking of applying to this time round suit my application.
Thinking of applying to Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter and Newcastle though again I'm open to suggestions.
My stats are:
AAAa at A level
UKCAT 742.5 (all subtests over 700)
7A* and 4 As at GCSE
Got an alright personal statement (lots of work experience and volunteering, but I'm not the best at putting thoughts into words) though it's a vast improvement on last year.
Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hi, apologies for the delay in response. This seemed to have slipped past my eye! I would advise you to have a look at universities that look at the UKCAT very heavily. Kings is one of them; you would almost certainly get an interview there. As for others, I cannot give you reliable advice so I suggest you read around to have a look. Best of luck with your application and congratulations on the grades!
Reply 1397
Original post by handsome7654
Oops my bad! :tongue:

I'm applying to Imp too! Woah 2 Bmat? You must be confident!
How did u do in your A-levels and Ukcat?

I seem to have missed this post as well! Something is clearly not right with me today!

My BMAT score last year was not a let down despite having next to no time to revise for it (I had to go see my dad in America during half term regarding family issues). Hence, I'm not too worried about the BMAT. I met their cut off by a margin, but was rejected pre-interview for other reasons.

I haven't done the UKCAT yet; it's on Wednesday but my A Level results were A*AAAAa. Yours?
Original post by Revent
I seem to have missed this post as well! Something is clearly not right with me today!

My BMAT score last year was not a let down despite having next to no time to revise for it (I had to go see my dad in America during half term regarding family issues). Hence, I'm not too worried about the BMAT. I met their cut off by a margin, but was rejected pre-interview for other reasons.

I haven't done the UKCAT yet; it's on Wednesday but my A Level results were A*AAAAa. Yours?

Haha maybe! :tongue:
Ohh I see! How do you increase your score in S1? I seem to lack the logic and the aptitude! What where you rejected for? Thought it was "meet the cut off and here's your interview" with Imperial!

Ooh good luck! What did you get last year?
Woahh what A levels did you do!?! Plz tell me you are applying to Barts! :P
Mine was A*AAB(2 ums of an A in bio damn it!). Also have an A* in General Studies but I don't really count it as a subject! :tongue:

Just out of curiosity, have you just woke up or have you still not slept yet? :eek:
Reply 1399
Original post by handsome7654
Haha maybe! :tongue:
Ohh I see! How do you increase your score in S1? I seem to lack the logic and the aptitude! What where you rejected for? Thought it was "meet the cut off and here's your interview" with Imperial!

Ooh good luck! What did you get last year?
Woahh what A levels did you do!?! Plz tell me you are applying to Barts! :P
Mine was A*AAB(2 ums of an A in bio damn it!). Also have an A* in General Studies but I don't really count it as a subject! :tongue:

Just out of curiosity, have you just woke up or have you still not slept yet? :eek:

Practice. You have an hour or so for section one, make the most of it! Some questions look obvious, but they are a lot more trickier than you think and may require further thought. I got a 6.3 in section one. Section two, I messed up, but that is due to poor teaching at GCSE level and jet lag resulting in me being up all night before the exam. This section, you WILL be pushed for time, so if you think it looks hard (or is physics, honestly the same thing really) guess it and come back at the end. I got a 4.9 in this section. Section three, just practice some essays. Make sure you are concise. I got a 4A in this section.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and AS Level in RE. Yes, I am applying to Barts. However, assuming I get an interview, I still need to pass it! Well done on your results! Biology was a bit unlucky, however.

I haven't slept yet; I got home at around 2 so figured sleeping would result in me being late for work. Yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending