The Student Room Group

Kony 2012, the visible children?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There does not exist a person called 'Joseph Kony'.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Doubt the US would want to intervene. They aren't going to be getting any oil from it considering all the spotlight will be on them so any dodgy deals will be publicized quickly and the Ugandan government probably know already what they're going to do with it already. There's no security threat from Kony. So, there goes any economic or political incentives. And there's only the humanitarian incentive which isn't particularly powerful tool. At best, they raise their military aid to them. This groups heart is in the right place but a militarily intervention isn't going to solve this plus bearing in mind that the dude is in central African jungles which means the US will have to ask other countries permission to enter their land and search for him as well as the fact that very few soldiers are highly trained to fight in the jungles and this dude has slaughtered US/UN soldiers before when they fought in the jungle.

I think the group should lobbying congress or UN/AU to allow Ugandan forces access to central Africa/Congo jungles. That's problem the most anyone can do that will be beneficial.

Agreed but will see how it pans out, if the public is stupid enough to believe an U.S intervention is required and need it then im sure the U.S will provide. Then once those few troops cannot do the job a few more will go and eventually there all over the place. Then once "civilisation" is bought to Uganda im sure the U.S will take stuff in return.
Yeah, it does? Territorial disputes?

The Ugandan military doesn't use child soldiers as much as Kony does. Also, they're child soldiers mostly constant of 15-18 which aren't exactly children and the UK until 10 years ago were sending 16 year old to combat. Yes, it's unfortunate that the Ugandan military are inhumane but you still have to cooperate with them as most western nations do. They still get supplied with military aid however as an incentive for them to not recruit many child soldiers they get less military aid. Invisible inc doesn't give the majority of it's money to the military. The only thing that's going to happen once you get rid of Kony is to combat other injustices in the country. We can't get the regime out unless we have a ground invention which would be pointless and dangerous because it'll just lead to another human-rights abuse. Supplying them aid is like supplying starving children food. You don't get rid of the undermining problem but you do help to reduce it.

I don't really care if they use child soldiers "less than" Kony. They shouldn't use them full stop so for that reason I am against this campaign.

Also, not correct. You have had to have been 18 to fight in the UK armed forces since WW1. Sorta a bit longer than 10 years, but there you go. You might have been confused by the fact that many 16 year olds lied about their age to be signed up.
Original post by Miraclefish
Yes, Invisible Children, the film-makers, are under investigation by a number of nations for, at best incredibly poor accounting. Only 20% of the funds donated to them are actually passed on to their causes. And that's where it gets worse; they favour direct military intervention. And not from the UN, but from anyone they can pay to do it. With regards to Kony, they've been funding the Ugandan army against Kony's regime. The Ugandan army is directly implicated in rape, pillage, murder and, likely, using child soldiers. Just like Kony.

And that's before we even get to the fact that, as Jon mentioned, he's not been active in Uganda for over six years and they're 'ok' with using this misinformation as it implies what bull**** merchants like to call 'moral truth'.

Kony is a bad guy, but Invisible Children are not the good guys.

On the subject of their accounts, they are an organisation that rely heavily on using video's to spread their idea's. Apart from the money to pay their own people they also have to use part of the money on marketing and on videos.
Reply 24
Original post by Dekota-XS
There does not exist a person called 'Joseph Kony'.

There's probably quite a few people called Joseph Kony............
Original post by PhoenixReborn
I don't really care if they use child soldiers "less than" Kony. They shouldn't use them full stop so for that reason I am against this campaign.

Also, not correct. You have had to have been 18 to fight in the UK armed forces since WW1. Sorta a bit longer than 10 years, but there you go. You might have been confused by the fact that many 16 year olds lied about their age to be signed up.

Yes but you saying they shouldn't doesn't achieve ****. Every country shouldn't do a lot of things. We should try to change them from doing bad things but sometimes we have to realize we can't change them from doing such bad things and in order to stop something badder, we have to cooperate it. It's not as simple as saying, you're evil thus not working with you. That's just being idealistic.

I'm not talking about WW1. http://www.defencemanagement.com/feature_story.asp?id=15592 "
Until ten years ago it was standard practice for the UK to deploy under-18s into hostilities. They were on the frontline in the Balkans, the Gulf and the Falklands. However, since the coming into force of the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict in 2002 (ratified by the UK in 2003) the routine deployment of under-18s has been prohibited in international law. The UK, like other states parties to the treaty, now takes measures to prevent the deployment of under-18s. Deployment of under-18s now appears archaic and abhorrent to the public and policy makers alike."
Yes but you saying they shouldn't doesn't achieve ****. Every country shouldn't do a lot of things. We should try to change them from doing bad things but sometimes we have to realize we can't change them from doing such bad things and in order to stop something badder, we have to cooperate it. It's not as simple as saying, you're evil thus not working with you. That's just being idealistic.

You're being very vague. And yes, you are right. All we can do is express opinions. That is what you and I are doing. So can we continue?

I'm not talking about WW1. http://www.defencemanagement.com/feature_story.asp?id=15592 "
Until ten years ago it was standard practice for the UK to deploy under-18s into hostilities. They were on the frontline in the Balkans, the Gulf and the Falklands. However, since the coming into force of the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict in 2002 (ratified by the UK in 2003) the routine deployment of under-18s has been prohibited in international law. The UK, like other states parties to the treaty, now takes measures to prevent the deployment of under-18s. Deployment of under-18s now appears archaic and abhorrent to the public and policy makers alike."

Also, you're incorrect.

There is a difference between recruiting 16 year olds and deploying them. Before this time the UK could employ 16 year old school leavers and train them so that they can be deployed for active service from the age of 18. So there have never been, legally, 16 year old soldiers fighting. If you read the article you have pasted here you would have noticed it was discussing whether "early recruitment" is good or not, not deployment, which is completely different.
Reply 27
Ugh, nothing is ever straight forward, we can all take stabs at the truth but no one really knows for sure what is true and what is not. It's only a few quid so i will donate to help, just in case they are actually doing the right thing. You all can debate all u want; people will always find fault with(supposedly) good things.
You're being very vague. And yes, you are right. All we can do is express opinions. That is what you and I are doing. So can we continue?

Also, you're incorrect.

There is a difference between recruiting 16 year olds and deploying them. Before this time the UK could employ 16 year old school leavers and train them so that they can be deployed for active service from the age of 18. So there have never been, legally, 16 year old soldiers fighting. If you read the article you have pasted here you would have noticed it was discussing whether "early recruitment" is good or not, not deployment, which is completely different.

Vague about what? I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on the Ugandan government being bad, I'm disagreeing with you're opinion that the Ugandan government is bad thus there shouldn't be any cooperation with them. By that logic, every country shouldn't be cooperating with each other because every country has done something bad and will continue to do something bad. As I said, cooperation gets us further than simply not cooperating. With cooperation, Kony could get captured then we can pressure the Ugandan government in stopping their human rights abuse.

Did you not see this part of the quote "They were on the frontline in the Balkans, the Gulf and the Falklands" so unless you have a source to counter that states there's never been a 16 year old deployed on the frontline then I'm not going to take your opinion as afact.
Original post by bestofyou
These faces look familiar? Look at they guy on the right, you may have seen his face in the Koney 2012 videos.

Koney is an evil bastard, no doubt about that, but I found this article which is worth a look at.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

I hope this group the best success, and hopefully the LRA will be taken out of the picture, not just Koney. But I found this article a rather good insight to this group.

By the way, how can we actually confirm that's him? Not saying it isn't - but could be someone else. He does have blonde hair in some shoots. And never seen any of the other two on his website...
Vague about what? I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on the Ugandan government being bad, I'm disagreeing with you're opinion that the Ugandan government is bad thus there shouldn't be any cooperation with them. By that logic, every country shouldn't be cooperating with each other because every country has done something bad and will continue to do something bad. As I said, cooperation gets us further than simply not cooperating. With cooperation, Kony could get captured then we can pressure the Ugandan government in stopping their human rights abuse.

You are misrepresenting my argument.

The US has, on multiple occasions tried to intervene. I'd much rather support them than the Ugandan Army. I am sure you agree? - http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136673/mareike-schomerus-tim-allen-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra?page=show At least they don't use child soldiers.

Did you not see this part of the quote "They were on the frontline in the Balkans, the Gulf and the Falklands" so unless you have a source to counter that states there's never been a 16 year old deployed on the frontline then I'm not going to take your opinion as afact.

I misread it. Fair enough. But what point are you trying to prove here? That Britain is the same as the Ugandan army? Child killers, raping, pillaging and all?
My flatmates were talking about the viral video yesterday, seems a bit weird how everyones astounded at the use of child soldiers as if its something so new.

This whole campaign seems a bit outdated seeing as Kony hasnt been in Uganda for some time and the people behind the campaign seem more bothered about bashing US politicians than actually caring about Ugandans and to me the video has the hint of neo-colonialism behind it too.

People should focus more on the NGOs that actually want to help rebuild and pour their resources into securing social stability, health and education. These should be the priorities not "lets catch the bad guy so we can all people better about ourselves".
You are misrepresenting my argument.

The US has, on multiple occasions tried to intervene. I'd much rather support them than the Ugandan Army. I am sure you agree? - http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136673/mareike-schomerus-tim-allen-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra?page=show At least they don't use child soldiers.

I misread it. Fair enough. But what point are you trying to prove here? That Britain is the same as the Ugandan army? Child killers, raping, pillaging and all?

The US haven't really intervened. They attempted once after LRA continued on massacring and they failed and Kony went on to kill 1,000s of villagers in retaliation. The US aren't going to intervene and the US themselves are working with the Ugandan military by proving them training, intelligence and equipment. What does that tell you? As I said, every government cooperates with human right abusing countries, the US themselves have committed some human rights abuse at various times. Only the Ugandan government are actively working to find Kony. And it's pointless sending in US because they aren't trained in jungle warfare and it would be too costly (both financially and the amount of innocent civilians that will be killed).

I'm making the point that Britain not long ago had child soldiers (technically) and it's pointless to just say automatic child soldiers = bad.
The people behind Kony 2012 are just privileged hipsters with too much time on their hands. As to whether they're evil, I doubt it. More like naive bored idiots.
Reply 34
Note that it took 'Invisible Children' and 'Kony 2012' to make these 'Visible Children' people jump into action. I wonder how much they criticised the Ugandan government beforehand? Never, I imagine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
I tried to make a group for the awareness of Kony 2012. TSR declined it. Devastated :s-smilie:
This man needs to be over exposed so he can be caught!
Please - read up on just how out of date and mislading this is. Read how much those behind the video pay themselves.
e evil then claiming the moral high ground, is well, a little bit bad.

If it works, then I don't see why we can't take the 'lesser of two evils' route.

Just look at the Hiroshima bombing and many more atrocities we've done during warfare.
Wow, so much misinformation.

A) This group has always favored military intervention. If you didn't know that, your fault.

B) This group main aim has never been to supply aid directly to Ugandans. Again, if you didn't know that your fault. Its main aim is to a) capture Kony and put a end to him and b) raise awareness for this cause.

C) Kony hasn't been inactive for six years, this is just bull****. His been inactive since 2009 which is 3 years.

D) They fund the Ugandan military for the same reason the US funds the Ugandan military, they're the only military that's actively pursuing this cause. The UN sent some people before and all the soliders got slaughtered by Kony's men. It works with the UN itself fyi.

E) The Ugandan military are much more humane than Kony. They commit human rights abuse no doubt but they're not on the same level as Kony and for anyone to believe they are just shows how uneducated and sheeple they are because it's most like based on the anti-Invisible children **** that's been spreading.

Don't blame the group. If you don't want to donate, don't donate. But, they aren't doing anything wrong as far as I can see.

Forgive me, but I don't think flashy $1m videos and posing with dangerous weapons are the hallmarks of true humanitarians (and looking at their $1m travel costs - using charity funds - last year, I'd be highly surprised if they didn't all fly out in first class...).

Despite me very low opinion of them - you are right. Simply don't donate if you don't want to donate. But their flashy campaign is clearly aimed at the idiots who will just buy into the cause from watching a flashy video and is rather exploitative in my opinion.

Even the Ugandan government have announced that the video is entirely misleading and that it is "for self-promotion and to garner resources for their own agenda".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by callum9999
Forgive me, but I don't think flashy $1m videos and posing with dangerous weapons are the hallmarks of true humanitarians (and looking at their $1m travel costs - using charity funds - last year, I'd be highly surprised if they didn't all fly out in first class...).

Despite me very low opinion of them - you are right. Simply don't donate if you don't want to donate. But their flashy campaign is clearly aimed at the idiots who will just buy into the cause from watching a flashy video and is rather exploitative in my opinion.

Even the Ugandan government have announced that the video is entirely misleading and that it is "for self-promotion and to garner resources for their own agenda".

I agree there million dollar travel expenses are fishy to stay the least. The only way I can see a million being spent on travel is if they're using private jets/first class. Regardless of whether they've traveled first class or private jets, they're a charity and should know better about the importance of money and not live such extravagant lifestyles. It would be great to hear how they justify their travel expenses and "entertainment" (wtf does this even mean?) expenses.

But, I don't think there's anything wrong with them investing 1 Million plus into their film making. After all, a film qualities can make or break it. Look at the wonders of the solar system. BBC must of spent millions on that and it was a success because it drew people in. This production did too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending