The Student Room Group

Four more unis joining Russell Group!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thought it was going to be Leicester. :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by TLK
Lancaster should be part of the Russel group but to me it doesn't make a big difference if I go to a RG uni or not.

I agree. If Exeter and QMUL have been invited to join, I think Lancaster deserves a place too. I didn't know much about it before I started looking at universities and in the end I didn't apply there but it does look good. Perhaps it just needs to expand it's research beforre it's worthy of a place...?

As it happens, I've firmed York but, as you say, there's plenty of good universties outside of the RG and it's essentially just a name. :smile:
Original post by alexsasg
Interesting..

I wonder what made some, especially Durham and York, join after so long?

Possibly the new tuition fees have something to do with this, people are now pickier about where to study and with the general concensus among people being that russel group = top unis, this probably pushed them to join now.

'Yay! Reassurance that I'm brainy and one of the elite! YAAAAAAAAY!'.

:hmmmm2:

I think it's silly get all over exited because of this, guys. And I've got offers from a couple of Russells so don't go calling envy. :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by PatrickD
I agree. If Exeter and QMUL have been invited to join, I think Lancaster deserves a place too.

I don't think many (or even any) of us can claim to be an expert in judging quality of universities like you said, hence perhaps we should give some faith to the people who are and trust their decision
Reply 25
I agree. If Exeter and QMUL have been invited to join, I think Lancaster deserves a place too. I didn't know much about it before I started looking at universities and in the end I didn't apply there but it does look good. Perhaps it just needs to expand it's research beforre it's worthy of a place...?

As it happens, I've firmed York but, as you say, there's plenty of good universties outside of the RG and it's essentially just a name. :smile:

True although Lancaster is first for research for physics in the UK. I'm not sure for the other subjects but it needs to expand itself since its a underrated university. Also congrats on the York offer:biggrin:
Uh oh, looks like I've been negged by a QMUL fan! Note I didn't say it was a lesser university, but that its profile is, in my opinion, not as high as some of its 1994 counterparts. I certainly encounter St Andrews & Loughborough more in the HE media, in reported research etc and that's what I base my opinion on. Others' experience may differ, which is just as well for the future of a talkboard.
Reply 27
LOL at the students getting excited because their unis are now joining russell group.

No doubt that the group contains most of the best unis but maybe you should read a little more about what russell group really is about.
Meh, doesn't really matter. I applied to four Russell group unis and ended up rejecting them for one that wasn't in the group. Just sticking a label on it doesn't actually change what it is.
Reply 29
Original post by SophiaKeuning
'Yay! Reassurance that I'm brainy and one of the elite! YAAAAAAAAY!'.

:hmmmm2:

I think it's silly get all over exited because of this, guys. And I've got offers from a couple of Russells so don't go calling envy. :tongue:

Not like that, it's just people always just overlook QMUL a lot.....or even look down upon it :frown:

Original post by Champagne Supernova
Excuse me?

I didn't mean it like that, but it'll get more recognition....especially the course I do, which isn't that well known :s-smilie:
This only means that the universities in the russell group now have less money on research between them...

Its not that much of an issue to me; going to a 1994 group uni, and actually knowing something about degree regulation, all undergraduate degree's are equal in their same subject. Some of the 94's are better than some of the Russell group, its not going to affect degree quality.

The only thing that the individual has to worry about regarding this is post-DOCTORAL placements. In other words, you can get a PHD ANYWHERE and still be regarded equally.
Reply 31
Original post by nerimon18
I'm actually shocked that Durham wasn't already in the Russell Group what with its high entry requirements.

Why?

It's a self-selecting group for Universities which have a large research income. Given that Durham is small, and not particularly sciency means that it didn't fit that description.
Reply 32
I think the 1994 group and Russell Group should just merge to be honest. Having one large lobbying group for the Universities within this group will mean more influence when lobbying, plus they will have more scope for representing the best of the UK when/if they fundraise internationally. Both groups contain some top quality universities, and both have the same aim. It makes sense really.
Reply 33
Original post by Mbob
Why?

It's a self-selecting group for Universities which have a large research income. Given that Durham is small, and not particularly sciency means that it didn't fit that description.

^^^^ This.

I don't think a lot of people actually understand what russell group/1994 groups are there for.
It's only recently risen to prominence. Some may also argue that it's entry requirements are a little high. :P

They would, of course, be incorrect!

It will be interesting to find out why Durham and York have joined after such a long time.
Reply 35
Original post by Bobifier
With Durham in, who will be the counterexample for the idea that Russel Group > non Russel Group?

Probably St Andrew's, it seems like the only uni that is in the top 10 for the rankings in the UK that isn't in it?

I think it was 6th in most guides, and 3rd in the UK in the guardian's one. Not that rankings or the russel group mean anything, the russel group is just about research funding
Original post by Iqbal007
Not like that, it's just people always just overlook QMUL a lot.....or even look down upon it :frown:

I didn't mean it like that, but it'll get more recognition....especially the course I do, which isn't that well known :s-smilie:

Yeah, I suppose a lot of people judge universities by what group they are in, and we can't change that so at least people will appreciate institutions like QMUL. (I've always liked the sound of the place, prestigious but not stuffy!). Cardiff's a Russell group and it's far lower down than Lancaster who isn't so I just think people shouldn't rely on what box the unis are shoved in.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with you wanting your uni to be recognised! But trust me, QM is!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by anniemagnificent
Uh oh, looks like I've been negged by a QMUL fan! Note I didn't say it was a lesser university, but that its profile is, in my opinion, not as high as some of its 1994 counterparts. I certainly encounter St Andrews & Loughborough more in the HE media, in reported research etc and that's what I base my opinion on. Others' experience may differ, which is just as well for the future of a talkboard.

It's actually not that surpirsing, QMUL is excellent at research and gets awarded a lot of money for it, ranking very high for research.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by TLK
True although Lancaster is first for research for physics in the UK. I'm not sure for the other subjects but it needs to expand itself since its a underrated university. Also congrats on the York offer:biggrin:

It's difficult to expand whilst maintaining quality. Lancaster Physics has the best output per staff member submitted to the RAE, but it's a lot smaller than most of what would traditionally be thought of as the 'top' physics departments.

It's one reason why the RAE is slightly dubious as a measure of quality. Departments can select who they choose to submit. Somewhere like Imperial could easily become the top department by miles simply be only submitting their best 30 academics (although they wouldn't, for obvious reasons).

(I'm not claiming Lancaster does that, I'm sure its a good department).
Reply 39
Original post by nerimon18
I'm actually shocked that Durham wasn't already in the Russell Group what with its high entry requirements.

Because membership of the Russell Group isn't based on entry requirements (and entry requirements are not necessarily the best indicator of quality, either).

Durham might have joined the Russell Group in 1994, but its management at the time decided not to and thought its interest were best suited to the 1994 Group.

It's only recently risen to prominence. Some may also argue that it's entry requirements are a little high. :P

No it hasn't. When the Russell Group was founded, Durham was in the top five of the Times league table, around the same position it is now almost 20 years later (I still see the mid-1990s as being recent in the context of Higher Education, but not in terms of the Russell Group). Its research profile and income was comparable to a number of universities who joined the RG between 1994 and 2007. Although its entry requirements have increased, after lagging slightly in the late 1990s, it has long been considered a strong university and has not suffered some resurgence compared to the early to mid 1990s.

See my comment above. Durham might well have been a founding, or at least early, member of the RG.
Original post by anniemagnificent
I think the choice of QMUL is interesting, given that its profile is (in my opinion) not as high as that of St Andrews, Bath or Loughborough.

Its research profile and income as well as its international standing certainly is and that's what counts. What makes you think it is not as high?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending