The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by printergirl
I'm predicted a*a*a, does this mean that's what UNIS will offer me, or will I be offered a*aa?

No the offer will be A*AA however it is your a level predictions/AS results/PS/Interview ( in some cases ) and anythin else i missed which will determine who recieves thiosr offers
Original post by Fas
No the offer will be A*AA however it is your a level predictions/AS results/PS/Interview ( in some cases ) and anythin else i missed which will determine who recieves thiosr offers

This is true.

I spoke to an admissions worker at Bristol back in the day (last summer) who said that to stand a decent chance of an offer from Bristol for L100, you'd need at least a*a*a predicted A2s.

This is, however, not representative of all unis, but much attention is paid to predicted grades. The higher the better.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Fas

So what is the point of that prediction, if your confident of getting a*aa, why not just predict 3 a*s as it'd improve ur chances ? Am I missing something very obvious?
I have difficulty choosing universities like many other here and I would be much appreciate if you guys can give some advice.
I studied Physics, Double Maths and Economics for A-level since I want to study Economics/Finance/Business for Higher education . I got my results and they were quite good. All 6 modules Maths I got more than 90%. Physics I got 85%, partly because of the Isa results was so bad, so I intend to retake it this year. For Economics AS (AQA), I got about a mid-low A

The thing is I do not have any experience about choosing universities. I want to choose something LSE, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham, or something like that. Can you guy give me some advice? I am really unsure that my results are good enough.

Thank you in advance
Reply 984
So what is the point of that prediction, if your confident of getting a*aa, why not just predict 3 a*s as it'd improve ur chances ? Am I missing something very obvious?

Universities want to know the level of the candidate at the end of yr 13 but since you apply in yr 12 the uni needs to have the best estimate of what you will realistically achieve, most schools wont just predict you 3a* for the hell of it

Yeah but I don't think its good if your school gets a reputation for over-predicting. I don't really get these things anyway- I've seen people in my year get predicted an A from a C but others who are only a few marks off an A get predicted a B :confused:
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Yeah but I don't think its good if your school gets a reputation for over-predicting. I don't really get these things anyway- I've seen people in my year get predicted an A from a C but others who are only a few marks off an A get predicted a B :confused:

To clairfy, the offer with be a*aa , nothing more?

PS this is only if I am lucky enough to get an offer!
IGCSE- 2A* 5A 1B
AS- 3A's 1B. Taking two more AS exams in October/November.(English and Psychology).
Choices- Oxford, Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, Lancaster.
Prediction of 2A*s and 2A's at A level.
So if I get an A*AA at A levels, Wawrick seems the best choice right? Wont I get a conditional? Nottingham seemed like a really nice Uni from what I've seen. Didn't know they were so picky. Bath and Durham were on my mind, but didn't really seem like a place that I would want to go to. Im not sure either ways. :/

Do all Uni's have conditional? So ill have to wait until my results(next Aug) to know where I would be going?
For the best place for Eco, would lancaster be my last option out of these Unis?

Please reply asap guys. Thank you :smile:
Reply 988
Is there anyone on here that's predicted or has achieved A*AB???

yes you are - Universities are now expected to know your AS results :wink: if you score CCCC or something equal to that extent at AS level and school predicts you A*A*A* then the Uni';s are gonna laugh at you put frankly. all the top Uni;s are expecting applicants to tell them there AS results - any who don't , well then its blatantly obvious you didnt do so well in your AS.
Original post by Fas
yes you are - Universities are now expected to know your AS results :wink: if you score CCCC or something equal to that extent at AS level and school predicts you A*A*A* then the Uni';s are gonna laugh at you put frankly. all the top Uni;s are expecting applicants to tell them there AS results - any who don't , well then its blatantly obvious you didnt do so well in your AS.

i got all a's at as so its not unrealistic what my predicted grades are, i just may have been concerned i was overpredicted as i expect to get a*aa while my prediction is a*a*a. but as offers are a*aa so its better ive been predicted higher than lower if you know what i mean
Why is everyone so obsessed with ums on this thread, I would only worry about that for Cambridge :/

i got all a's at as so its not unrealistic what my predicted grades are, i just may have been concerned i was overpredicted as i expect to get a*aa while my prediction is a*a*a. but as offers are a*aa so its better ive been predicted higher than lower if you know what i mean

you have achieved all A's so your fine . being overpredicted in YOUR case is good because the Uni;s will see your AS results and think " hmm ok this candidate has potential to achieve our offer " - I THINK this is what they will think , but i could be wrong. but yeah A* A* A* predictions will help :smile:
Original post by Matt_payne
Why is everyone so obsessed with ums on this thread, I would only worry about that for Cambridge :/

LSE want to know you UMS too so that makes 2 universities. They just so happen to be the best/among the best universities in the UK for economics. :smile:
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
LSE want to know you UMS too so that makes 2 universities. They just so happen to be the best/among the best universities in the UK for economics. :smile:

Don't forget UCL :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Don't forgot UCL :wink:

New information for me. Are you supposed to fill out your UMS in the 'other' part of the UCAS application then? With Cambridge, I am aware of the SAQ but not too sure about LSE and UCL.
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
New information for me. Are you supposed to fill out your UMS in the 'other' part of the UCAS application then? With Cambridge, I am aware of the SAQ but not too sure about LSE and UCL.

If you don't put it on your UCAS, I think they email you with a form, UCL isn't for everyone, apparently just people before the Oxbridge deadlind
Reply 997
I'm predicted 3 A's for my A-levels, I feel as though my P.S is quite good, would i get a conditional offer if I applied to Nottingham uni, if no what am I missing
p.s Im never going to be predicted A* (school policy)
Reply 998
Original post by Libz7689
I'm predicted 3 A's for my A-levels, I feel as though my P.S is quite good, would i get a conditional offer if I applied to Nottingham uni, if no what am I missing
p.s Im never going to be predicted A* (school policy)

If you feel you should be predicted A*s (you've achieved 90%+ at AS) then I think it's certainly worth ensuring that whoever writes your reference mentions that it is school policy not to predict A*s, because it's a really harsh policy, especially when I've seen so many students on here with B's (and sometimes lower) getting predicted A*s.

Everyone thinks that their PS is good, but assuming it actually is, then if you also have decent GCSEs, and good A level subjects, then I don't see why you wouldn't stand a chance.
Reply 999
I'm applying for the Economics course with some average Gcse grades
6 A's including Maths, English Language, Science
6 B's and 2 C's
in my A-levels I got AABE, with A in both Maths and economics
and the B in law ( I'm retaking one unit to try get A) and the E in accounting! I hated it. I've been predicted AAA, and I have a good P.S
, so realistically do you guys think I've got a realistic chance of getting in?
Any response would be great thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending