The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

what are the best unis for econ after the top 10

im predicted a*a*a* (including maths ) and a in further maths

applying to bristol, warwick, ucl, nottingham, and need another choice, can someone suggest possible ones? (not oxbridge or durham)

i want to be able to get a good job out of it and go into banking, are there any target unis with requirements aaa as is applying to 5 a*aa unis too risky, (i expect to get a*aa if not ill be disappointed) but i certainly want to go uni this year, as i dont like the idea of a gap year, and would have nothing planned for it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1181
Original post by Haesights
Am I being really dense here but why are you predicted A* for maths when you've sat all the math modules and got an A?

Because i'm retaking core 3 & 4. I did the entire A2 a year early, so I still have this year to achieve the grade I want.
And considering i'm 2 UMS off an A* its not unreasonable to think, with a year of Further maths to expand my knowledge, I will be able to achieve the A*
Reply 1182
Removed
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1183
I'd go for Durham, better teaching and employment prospects

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Haesights
Pretty much none for UCL and LSE, your A* prediction is in the wrong subject...Have you looked up the entry requirements? 

Yeah i've looked at the entry requirements and thought I may have an outside chance, I guess it was an ambitious shot. I'd say Nottingham is most important though, what are my chances with that? Thanks again
Original post by BhaveshPatel255
Yeah i've looked at the entry requirements and thought I may have an outside chance, I guess it was an ambitious shot. I'd say Nottingham is most important though, what are my chances with that? Thanks again

Nottingham does require 7 or 8 A*'s at GCSE level so do bear that in mind - i dont know how well you did at GCSE , but if you got 7 or 8 A*'s or more , then Nottingham is a possible chance.
Original post by printergirl
what are the best unis for econ after the top 10

im predicted a*a*a* (including maths ) and a in further maths

applying to bristol, warwick, ucl, nottingham, and need another choice, can someone suggest possible ones? (not oxbridge or durham)

i want to be able to get a good job out of it and go into banking, are there any target unis with requirements aaa as is applying to 5 a*aa unis too risky, (i expect to get a*aa if not ill be disappointed) but i certainly want to go uni this year, as i dont like the idea of a gap year, and would have nothing planned for it

Help?
Original post by Fas
Nottingham does require 7 or 8 A*'s at GCSE level so do bear that in mind - i dont know how well you did at GCSE , but if you got 7 or 8 A*'s or more , then Nottingham is a possible chance.

I got A*'s in Physics, Geography, Business Studies and ICT. I might need to reasses my choices...
Original post by Fas

Where are you getting this information
Apart from Warwick, most unis are pretty flexible when it comes to GCSEs. For example the following factors can compensate for the respective unis:

Camb - high UMS/interview
LSE - PS and UMS
Oxford - TSA/interview
UCL - PS and UMS

And they are the most competitive unis. So I highly doubt that Nottingham has such a stringent GCSE policy.
Glasgow
Sheffield
City
Loughborough
UEA

Anyone applying to the same ones ?
Original post by tooambitious
Where are you getting this information

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957
Reply 1192
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Apart from Warwick, most unis are pretty flexible when it comes to GCSEs. For example the following factors can compensate for the respective unis:

Camb - high UMS/interview
LSE - PS and UMS
Oxford - TSA/interview
UCL - PS and UMS

And they are the most competitive unis. So I highly doubt that Nottingham has such a stringent GCSE policy.

Will high UMS help for LSE Maths with Economics? Considering they don't actually ask. I have them on my UCAS for all unis though.
Original post by CD315
Will high UMS help for LSE Maths with Economics? Considering they don't actually ask. I have them on my UCAS for all unis though.

that should be fine , even if they dont ask presenting that information shows them you've improved a lot from GCSE level ( depending ofc what your AS UMS was and what your GCSE's were ) - many candidates wont have that info on their application form ( or they might ) but either way gives you a fighting chance if its in the 90% UMS average and up
Original post by CD315

yours should
Reply 1195
Original post by Fas
that should be fine , even if they dont ask presenting that information shows them you've improved a lot from GCSE level ( depending ofc what your AS UMS was and what your GCSE's were ) - many candidates wont have that info on their application form ( or they might ) but either way gives you a fighting chance if its in the 90% UMS average and up

5A*s 5As 1B for GCSE, 300/300 AS Maths, 295/300 AS Further Maths, 290/300 AS Physics, 189/200 AS Econ.. Only thing I'm worried about is the 89 in econ module 2 and the 67/77 in physics practical :colonhash:

yours should

Haha, thanks man. See my above post though..
Original post by CD315
5A*s 5As 1B for GCSE, 300/300 AS Maths, 295/300 AS Further Maths, 290/300 AS Physics, 189/200 AS Econ.. Only thing I'm worried about is the 89 in econ module 2 and the 67/77 in physics practical :colonhash:

Haha, thanks man. See my above post though..

i got exactly the same in econ i.e 100 unit 1 89 unit 2 (i was also pissed :P) but my teacher was just like 'no seriously dont worry' and JamiePango said the same on here - i think they care alot more about maths anyway, and nobody gives a *sheet* about science practicals :P
Reply 1197
Original post by CD315

wow...

take a bow that is amazing! i wouldnt be worried at all if i was you as i think it is better you got full marks in the exam and only dropped marks in the practical. likewise 89 is not bad an since the other module was 100 it is really not a problem

but i am confused to why your practical was out of 77? :confused::confused:
Reply 1198
i got exactly the same in econ i.e 100 unit 1 89 unit 2 (i was also pissed :P) but my teacher was just like 'no seriously dont worry' and JamiePango said the same on here - i think they care alot more about maths anyway, and nobody gives a *sheet* about science practicals :P

Yeah, I was expecting the marks to be the other way around to be honest :tongue: I prefer the macro.

Just need to choose between LSE, Durham and UCL (last 2 for pure maths).

Original post by amg_22
wow...

take a bow that is amazing! i wouldnt be worried at all if i was you as i think it is better you got full marks in the exam and only dropped marks in the practical. likewise 89 is not bad an since the other module was 100 it is really not a problem

but i am confused to why your practical was out of 77? :confused::confused:

Thanks! It's CCEA. The exams are out of 111 UMS each and then 77 for practical. Haven't a notion as to why this is though.
Reply 1199
Original post by CD315
Thanks! It's CCEA. The exams are out of 111 UMS each and then 77 for practical. Haven't a notion as to why this is though.

yeah that is very unusual haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending