The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanboi
Okay but if in that case then LSE, UCL (Top 5), Bristol and Exeter(Top 10) and Bath(Top 15). So same as my initial list? Thanks for the advice.

Bath are usually top 10 and are definitely more reputable than Exeter. So maybe take out one of Bath/Exeter for something like York (or any uni that you want that is similar).
Original post by amg_22
well in my previous post i explained to you what i meant by it so i guess that's how any rational person would interpret what i wrote

but anyway i can't believe someone on TSR is arguing with me over me giving my own opinion on the matter. last year people with all A*'s at GCSE and straight As at AS got rejected from UCL and LSE and the OP wanted some advice on whether his choices were too risky - which i gave him. he seemed to agree with it so i don't see what your problem is?

That may be what you meant but in my opinion it wasn't clear in your original post and I'd like to think I'm fairly rational ^^
Reply 1582
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
STEP won't really help tbh.

And your GCSEs are less than an average for an LSE/UCL applicant so I guess your initial list might have been a bit risky. Try 2 in the top 5, another 2 in the top 10, and as a back up 1 from the top 15.

Btw mate would you know how much emphasis UCL put on the UMS scores like i have a grades in all my modules apart from one which i ot a C in (bad day haa) but i still got 4As overall, 2A*s 2As prediction + A in Epq and 6A*s 4As at GCSE?
Original post by Wa 007
Btw mate would you know how much emphasis UCL put on the UMS scores like i have a grades in all my modules apart from one which i ot a C in (bad day haa) but i still got 4As overall, 2A*s 2As prediction + A in Epq and 6A*s 4As at GCSE?

Sorry I have no idea. Your grades look solid so you shouldn't be too worried. Also note that they only ask for UMS attained in maths modules.
Bath are usually top 10 and are definitely more reputable than Exeter. So maybe take out one of Bath/Exeter for something like York (or any uni that you want that is similar).

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 1585
Sorry I have no idea. Your grades look solid so you shouldn't be too worried. Also note that they only ask for UMS attained in maths modules.

Right thanks man, have you sent your UCAS off yet?

Hey man quick question, UCL require GCSE in a foreign language above C. I got E in french but I got A* in Mandarin(native language) does that count for the GCSE foreign language?
Original post by ryanboi
Hey man quick question, UCL require GCSE in a foreign language above C. I got E in french but I got A* in Mandarin(native language) does that count for the GCSE foreign language?

Isn't it supposed to be a modern foreign language? If that's the case then I'm not sure if Mandarin counts.
Reply 1588
Isn't it supposed to be a modern foreign language? If that's the case then I'm not sure if Mandarin counts.

Also, man sorry but did you put your module scores on UCAS or do they ask specifically?
Original post by Wa 007
Also, man sorry but did you put your module scores on UCAS or do they ask specifically?

You should put them on your UCAS according to them (even though I had no idea) but if you don't they'll just ask for it to be emailed to them.

And yes I've sent my application.
Reply 1590
You should put them on your UCAS according to them (even though I had no idea) but if you don't they'll just ask for it to be emailed to them.

And yes I've sent my application.

Okay cool so if i put all my module scores on UCAS they should nt ask me for it again? Did you put yours on UCAS cos that seems much easier tbh?
Original post by Wa 007
Okay cool so if i put all my module scores on UCAS they should nt ask me for it again? Did you put yours on UCAS cos that seems much easier tbh?

No they won't ask for it again. And I didn't state mine as I didn't know I had to. I just assumed they would ask for it separately.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/foreign-languages

I think this is what they meant by foreign language. If Mandarin doesn't count, is it still worth applying to UCL?
Original post by ryanboi
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/foreign-languages

I think this is what they meant by foreign language. If Mandarin doesn't count, is it still worth applying to UCL?

English Language and Mathematics at grade C. For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet this requirement following enrolment at UCL.

I guess it counts then :smile:
English Language and Mathematics at grade C. For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet this requirement following enrolment at UCL.

I guess it counts then :smile:

Great stuff. Pheww thanks man ! Where have you applied to?
Original post by ryanboi
Great stuff. Pheww thanks man ! Where have you applied to?

Bristol EF, LSE ME, Oxford EM, UCL ES, Warwick ME. :colondollar:

Wow top unis all the way!
Good Luck man! I remember you have strong grades so you should be fine :smile: Thanks for the help !
Anyone why applied UCL been asked for UMS yet?

wowee ! thats a solid set of places !
Original post by aalex
How much would talking about investing in the stock market and getting a summer internship as a broker in my PS help my application?

I did!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending