The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British monarch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frenchfries
Which is the virgin one? i vote her

Elizabeth I.

These results are pretty stupid imo. Victoria, who's uselessness and sulkiness following her husband's death brought the monarchy to one of its least popular points, and Richard the Lionheart who bankrupted the country with his military adventure to the Middle East (which was a failure), are above Henry V - the victor of Agincourt??
Reply 61
VICTORRIAAAAAAAAA.

I was born, lucky me.
In a land that I love.
Though i'm poor, I am free.
When I grow I shall fight.
For this land I shall die.
Let the sun never set.
Reply 62
Charles I

(At least he proved we really do not need this pathetic inbred institution).
Reply 63
Only Elizabeth I really. The rest of the choices are not that convincing at all - Henry VIII just pioneered the modern dad (bar the executions), William, Richard Lionheart and Henry V only shone as battlefield commanders and except for simply being inactive, sulking and fat, Victoria's only highlight was that she reigned over a country with the some of the most ambitious, brilliant and pioneering individuals on any age, allowing her to become the Empress of India, despite the fact that she never bloody went there in the first place.

I prefer the current Elizabeth II over all choices though.

Reply 64
Liz the first. :love:
Reply 65
William the Conqueror, because he had the most epic life ever.
Reply 66
Yay King Billy :biggrin:
Reply 67
Charles II for this reason alone :grin:

<3 x
Reply 68
I really think people should be able to vote for Cromwell here shouldn't they? He pretty much was a monarch in all but title.
Reply 69
Original post by Durido
I really think people should be able to vote for Cromwell here shouldn't they? He pretty much was a monarch in all but title.

I don't know if he'd have agreed!

I'm not voting because Elizabeth II isn't there. Seriously, where's the love for our Liz? :frown:

Other than that, I'm tied between two:

George V (shaped the monarchy as we know it today, difficult time to reign, the legend that is Queen Mary)

Henry VIII (one of the most iconic monarchs, really interesting to learn about and the original LAD)
Henry VII was arguably the most successful so thats my answer
Reply 71
William the Conqueror, because of his Victory @ Hastings
Reply 72
Original post by RedBedHead
Mine is Charles I. =

While studying him in AS History, I looked into his life and managed to make up my mind about the cause of the Civil Wars - the reasons I decided upon are why he's my favourite monarch. I found that he had been born quite crippled by rickets and so only grew to about 4'8", and was bullied mercilessly by his older brother. He was also abandoned in Scotland by his parents when his dad, James I, went to rule England, so he was bounced around to various nannies and didn't have much in the way of parental love. At some point in his teen years he was then looked after by the Duke of Buckingham (the very same one that caused all the problems with parliament in the 1620s) - who became like a father to him.

Looking at this I then decided the wars happened partially because poor old Charlie had little man syndrome (so he didn't want parliament controlling his stupidity as much as they were) and because he was angry at Parliament for cheering the assassination of the only real father he ever had.

So I mostly chose Charles I as my favourite because his reign was frought with drama, which is always interesting. Also because he was a midget king (as horrible as that sounds). This fact is hilarious to me. Mostly because you don't expect a monarch to resemble Lord Farquaad.

I'm doing the reign of James and Charles for History at the moment. Charles wasn't the greatest king by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't help but feel extremely sorry for him. That was the first thing our lecturer pointed out, actually - his height - and how all his paintings had him on horses or sitting down so it wasn't noticeable :biggrin:

(None of James' children got an easy life, IIRC - one dead, one executed, and the other thrown into exile. It makes you wonder how Henry would have done had he lived...)
Charles I.

At least that one was overthrown...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending