The Student Room Group

Bishop Grosseteste University Lincoln - PGCE Primary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Thanks - have been in hospital last week as been having some problems and really wasn't looking good, but there is at least a little bit of hope now, so fingers crossed! Congrats on getting on! I thought my interview wasn't very good too!

Has anyone heard anything since that draft timetable? Seems to have gone very quiet! Xx
Reply 161
Hope you are ok shelbel. It's 5 weeks til we start and I haven't heard anything still. Might try calling them today to find out, not sure if it just sounds like I'm hounding them tbh.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Original post by pineapple86
Hope you are ok shelbel. It's 5 weeks til we start and I haven't heard anything still. Might try calling them today to find out, not sure if it just sounds like I'm hounding them tbh.

As of this week I believe there is only one lady in the PGCE Primary Admissions Office; everyone else seems to be on leave so I doubt there will be anything coming out this week as she will be dealing with the paperwork from the last lot of interviews. I found out on GTTR and haven't had my letter yet so that's still to come.
Reply 163
Original post by shetland28
As of this week I believe there is only one lady in the PGCE Primary Admissions Office; everyone else seems to be on leave so I doubt there will be anything coming out this week as she will be dealing with the paperwork from the last lot of interviews. I found out on GTTR and haven't had my letter yet so that's still to come.

Oh right hopefully we'll get it soon then :-)

Reply 164
I got my enrolement timetable today , but still no news of what happens after that! Looks like if your surname is A-K your on the Monday and L-Z is Tuesday. I'm M do will be on the Tuesday. When will you be? Xx
Reply 165
I just got mine too! I'm on the Monday, my surname begins with A. I come home from work to a big pack and I was hoping for some good news lol. I need to ring them up in a week to make sure they've got my health form cos apparently they still haven't processed it yet and I gave it in in April!

Reply 166
I got my pack today also as well as my crb which got processed in 8 days, which was very quick. I cant wait to get started now. I`m in on the monday too.
Reply 167
Hi First of all I would like to congratulate you all for getting onto the course!! :smile:

Secondly, I have a interview for upper primary PGCE next week at BG and I am so nervous about and would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips and advice. I have previously had an interview for a GTP (Nottingham Trent) and Schools direct (Nottingham Uni) and have not been successful. I really want to get onto the PGCE this year.

What was the writing task about? and what kind of questions were on the numeracy task? what did you guys do to prepare for it?

Also for the presentation I have many teaching sessions that I think were effective but don't know which one to focus on. What did you talk about on your presentation.

And finally what kind of questions where you asked for your individual interview? This is what I am most worried about as I tend to get nervous and forget answers that I have prepared.

Also, if you drove to the interview was there a lot of traffic and is the university hard to find? I will be driving from Nottinghamshire.

Thank you
Reply 168
Original post by Becca2012
Hi First of all I would like to congratulate you all for getting onto the course!! :smile:

Secondly, I have a interview for upper primary PGCE next week at BG and I am so nervous about and would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips and advice. I have previously had an interview for a GTP (Nottingham Trent) and Schools direct (Nottingham Uni) and have not been successful. I really want to get onto the PGCE this year.

What was the writing task about? and what kind of questions were on the numeracy task? what did you guys do to prepare for it?

Also for the presentation I have many teaching sessions that I think were effective but don't know which one to focus on. What did you talk about on your presentation.

And finally what kind of questions where you asked for your individual interview? This is what I am most worried about as I tend to get nervous and forget answers that I have prepared.

Also, if you drove to the interview was there a lot of traffic and is the university hard to find? I will be driving from Nottinghamshire.

Thank you

Hey, i'm from nottingham and i got a family member to drive me up, we left around 7am (ish) and managed to get there for 8am (ish) but we used a sat nav and there werent any problems, but there were road works which we took into account and luckily didnt get any traffic jams. So i would say leave in plenty of time, but when i got there i wasnt the only early one there as others got the train etc. Writing task was about creating a lesson plan around a picture that you were given, numeracy task was just simple so as long as you know your timetables and simple maths you'll be fine. In my presentation i talked about learning behaviours, behaviour management and other things. I would pick a session you can analyse, pick out the positive and negative points and that you can talk about with ease. It took me ages to decide which one to do but i picked the one i can talk a lot about and that i enjoyed.

Individual interview i say just read over your personal statement and think about your previous experience with children because they will ask you about that, also think about students with english as a second language and how you will include them in lessons and they may ask you why you want to teach. They asked me that but only cos of my A levels and degree as they werent all targeted towards teaching, ive always gone for things i enjoy even though i always knew i wanted to teach and dont forget to be enthusiastic, smile and be honest!! I couldnt answer one question so i honestly said to them i dont know the answer to that question but i somehow managed to turn it round and got a place! If you get nervous and panic just take a moment to take a deep breath and get your thoughts together (Same for the presentation!) i tend to babble when i panic and i get like that in interviews but this time i made myself take it slow even though i wanted to just say 'just offer me place!!!!!' haha :colondollar:

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 169
Thank you for your help pineapple :-)

I am driving from Mansfield so hopefully it will take me the same amount of time and I will be using sat nav as well so hopefully I won't get lost.

I am exactly the same at interviews but will remember your advise. What was the picture they showed you for the writing task? Was it a random picture or something educational? :-/
Reply 170

I am driving from Mansfield so hopefully it will take me the same amount of time and I will be using sat nav as well so hopefully I won't get lost.

I am exactly the same at interviews but will remember your advise. What was the picture they showed you for the writing task? Was it a random picture or something educational? :-/

No prob :-) they gave out random pictures on the desk and you had to pick one to write about, I quickly got the dinosaur one cos my 5 year old cousins who I babysit regularly are really into them so remember some things they watch/read/look at. I was quite lucky in that way lol. I remember there was a picture of a whisk, baby and snow too on my table and I hadn't a clue how to create a lesson plan around those and with what resources. But others had random pics too from what I gathered.

Random pictures, i got fruit, there were others like a kettle a snowy village and a skeleton so the picture is random but you can chose from the pictures on your desk but all desks have different pictures. The only phase you can fully prepared for is your presentation, so I would suggest focusing on that to ensure you get that all important interview. The other tasks are more common sense and creative thinking and expression of written communication skills. Providing you are comfortable with such facets you should get an interview with which you should just try to relate each question to your experience and try to be critical if possible.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Thank you

Find the sample papers for QTS Maths online - if you can do those then the numeracy test is much easier.

There's not a lot of preparation you can do for the written test other than let your imagination run riot from the photographs. Come up with lots of ideas to show you can be creative and remember the last task on the written task does say 'concise'.

Try to learn your presentation. Certainly don't read it without looking at your audience (those that did didn't get through to the afternoon interviews). Most people had prompt cards but I did mine without as my thinking was, you wouldn't stand in front of a class of children with postcards and read your lesson! Include some element in your presentation that involves the audience - there was a wide range of these (show of hands, singing, writing descriptions, discussion on a point raised). If you're going to use powerpoint then just bullet-point your topics, don't type your entire presentation out (your audience can read!)

There was a wide range of topics for the presentations so don't worry about what you choose - it's about how you present it, have you researched what they've asked you for etc?

The interview questions did seem to vary slightly person to person when I was there and there weren't that many questions per person. They interview the people who live furthest away first so do be prepared for a wait. I was the last interview of the day.

It's the school holidays at the moment so traffic in Lincoln is significantly quieter than normal.

Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone had a timetable through or will we get that after enrolling you think?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 174
I'm beginning to think that we'll get it at enrollment now since there's only 3 weeks to go.

Reply 175
Yeah I'm guessing we must get it then. Have you all joined the page on Facebook? Well as for me looks like I will be joining you for the whole year - scan yesterday showed baby has stopped growing and heartbeat stopped :frown: xx
Reply 176
Oh no I'm really sorry to hear that shelbel :-( look after yourself. I've only joined the official bg page. I can't seem to find another fb page for it x

Reply 177
Thank you, so glad the course is starting soon as at least it give me something to focus on. Theres a group called bishop grosseteste PGCE primary (2012-2013) if you can't find it if you want to add me (Michelle morton) and I can add you :smile: xx
Reply 178
Thank you, i've found it and requested to join :biggrin: x
Reply 179
Sorry to hear that shelbel :-( hope you are ok and take are of yourself hun x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending