The Student Room Group

Applying for a PGCE in March/April

I graduated last year without really knowing what I was going to do next. Recently, I have decided that I want to become a teacher. I have been through a Teach First Development Centre and I am looking for TA roles with a few agencies. But, just to make sure that I can start training to be a teacher this year, I am considering applying for a PGCE.

I have been told that late March/early to mid-April (when I will likely be applying) is technically not too late, but there may not be space on certain courses. I was looking at the Primary PGCE courses in Durham, Exeter, York, Nottingham, Birmingham, and Newcastle. Would those ones be likely to have filled up by the time I start applying? Should I get more teaching experience first?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by mitskicultmember
I graduated last year without really knowing what I was going to do next. Recently, I have decided that I want to become a teacher. I have been through a Teach First Development Centre and I am looking for TA roles with a few agencies. But, just to make sure that I can start training to be a teacher this year, I am considering applying for a PGCE.
I have been told that late March/early to mid-April (when I will likely be applying) is technically not too late, but there may not be space on certain courses. I was looking at the Primary PGCE courses in Durham, Exeter, York, Nottingham, Birmingham, and Newcastle. Would those ones be likely to have filled up by the time I start applying? Should I get more teaching experience first?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi @mitskicultmember,

Congratulations on deciding to do a PGCE. As a teacher for eighteen years, I never once regretted retraining as a primary teacher.

It is not too late to apply, but the places are filling fast, particularly for primary PGCEs. I recommend you get your application in soon. Sign up to the Get into Teaching service for free advice and support from experienced teachers. Our service is free and we can offer guidance and support to give you the best chance of securing a place on a PGCE.

Good luck!
Tracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending