The Student Room Group

Primary teaching

What is the best route to get into primary teaching?
I have 18 years teaching experience in FE and a BA ordinary degree in Education. Would I need to do a 3 year degree with QTS in primary and if so is this funded?
Reply 1
Do you already have a degree?
Reply 2
Sorry I misread, you already have an education degree. You can apply for a PGCE course, it's just one year. Student finance will fund a PGCE course with QTS and you should also be able to get some maintenance loan too. Unfortunately for primary teaching there are no government bursaries. So money will probably be tight for a year
Reply 3
Original post by FeiFeiLi
Sorry I misread, you already have an education degree. You can apply for a PGCE course, it's just one year. Student finance will fund a PGCE course with QTS and you should also be able to get some maintenance loan too. Unfortunately for primary teaching there are no government bursaries. So money will probably be tight for a year

Thank you I don’t have an honours degree though so will this still be the case? I only have an ordinary degree
Reply 4
Original post by Louise2300

Thank you I don’t have an honours degree though so will this still be the case? I only have an ordinary degree

Different universities have different requirements. So I can't say for sure. But I'm fairly certain there are some universities who will accept a non honours degree. I'd give it a Google
Hi @Louise2300

The standard minimum requirements to train to teach in primary education are an honours degree (Usually minimum of 2:2) and GCSEs (or accepted equivalents) in English, maths and science grade C/4 or above. It is possible to "top up" an ordinary degree to an honours degree (through the Open University for example).

To get further advice and support I would suggest that you contact Get Into Teaching and sign up for an adviser who will talk to you about your specific circumstances and be able to advise you and support you through your next steps.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teacher-training-advisers

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending