The Student Room Group

Help! I don't know where to go.

So most of you will probably think I'm insane for even considering not going but I have an offer from Oxford for Biomedical Science. However, I never really thought I would get in so never considered actually going, I applied on a whim having set my sights on going to Sheffield. I have an offer from Sheffield, and I still really want to go there, but I can't bring myself to actually reject Oxford. If anyone could give me some (reasoned) advice, i.e. please don't just tell me that I should go to Oxford, because it is Oxford. Thanks for any help you can offer :smile:
Reply 1
go where you want to go! not just because its oxford :smile:
don't go. It's an achievement to get in do not get me wrong. But if any part of you prefers sheffield then you can say you rejected oxford and went with the better course.
Firstly- well done on your offers, both of them, and if you were accepted by Oxford you'll probably do v. well at Sheffield and get a really good degree but be much less pressured. All round good situation...
Secondly- it might be narrow minded to go to Oxford just because it's famous, but sometimes it can also be narrow minded not to re evaluate and really consider exactly why Sheffield is your first choice. Sometimes it's easier to dig your heels in and just keep going over the same points over and over again when there's a hard choice to make. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it could be. Chances are you were accepted because Oxford would be a perfect fit for you and because you're very good at science, whereas with Sheffield it would be the second one only probably.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's like choosing between an apple and a Kitkat. You know you should pick the apple because it'll be better in the long run, but you know you'll probably enjoy the Kitkat so much more.

Obviously, a degree from Oxford would serve you well in terms of how you're seen by employers and would be an incredible achievement. But at Sheffield, still a very good uni, you'd probably be able to relax more and really enjoy student life, with the addition of attending lectures.

As far as I can see, you'd choose Oxford purely for the degree at the end of it, and Sheffield for the 4-5 years you want to experience as a student. Sorry, I've probably just re-emphasised what you already know!

I really think you should just go where you think you'll be happy. You obviously want to go to Sheffield, and I've heard Oxford students spend many hours of the day simply studying. It's a long time to be stressed!
Reply 5
Make the decision based on the course, which course includes the topics you find interesting. Make sure you understand what you do each year at both Oxford and Sheffield and you will not regret it :wink:
Reply 6
Firstly, follow your gut instinct. If you think you'll be happier at Sheffield, go for it!

Secondly, it's not like your rejecting Oxford for London Met - Sheffield is a brilliant university, and also has arguably one of the best Biomed courses behind Oxbridge and Imperial. The people there are some of the nicest you'll ever meet, may I just add :smile:

Sheffield would be a great choice in every aspect :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by helzz94
It's like choosing between an apple and a Kitkat. You know you should pick the apple because it'll be better in the long run, but you know you'll probably enjoy the Kitkat so much more.

Obviously, a degree from Oxford would serve you well in terms of how you're seen by employers and would be an incredible achievement. But at Sheffield, still a very good uni, you'd probably be able to relax more and really enjoy student life, with the addition of attending lectures.

As far as I can see, you'd choose Oxford purely for the degree at the end of it, and Sheffield for the 4-5 years you want to experience as a student. Sorry, I've probably just re-emphasised what you already know!

I really think you should just go where you think you'll be happy. You obviously want to go to Sheffield, and I've heard Oxford students spend many hours of the day simply studying. It's a long time to be stressed!

I really don't see how that analogy is applicable in any way. You seem to be implying that no-one enjoys themselves as Oxford. Oxford is a great city as well, so you still get the student experience just as much as you would at Sheffield.

To the OP, don't be put off by some kind of anti-Oxford stigma. Perhaps go and visit the college/university again if you'd like another look without being under the stress of an interview.

Sheffield is obviously a really good university, but Oxford will give you better teaching in terms of tutorials, and also better employability. What's to say that you'll enjoy Sheffield any more than Oxford?

The course is clearly worth consideration and I have no idea whether the course at Sheffield is the one that you prefer more than Oxford.

Only you can decide and as I say you might want to go and visit both universities again, but people do enjoy themselves as Oxford! At least I hope they do...
Reply 8
Thanks for all of your help :smile: I've been back to both Oxford and Sheffield, hoping that it would help me make a decision, but if anything it just made me more confused! At least I have until the 9th of may to make a decision.
Original post by rdsnell
I really don't see how that analogy is applicable in any way. You seem to be implying that no-one enjoys themselves as Oxford. Oxford is a great city as well, so you still get the student experience just as much as you would at Sheffield.

To the OP, don't be put off by some kind of anti-Oxford stigma. Perhaps go and visit the college/university again if you'd like another look without being under the stress of an interview.

Sheffield is obviously a really good university, but Oxford will give you better teaching in terms of tutorials, and also better employability. What's to say that you'll enjoy Sheffield any more than Oxford?

The course is clearly worth consideration and I have no idea whether the course at Sheffield is the one that you prefer more than Oxford.

Only you can decide and as I say you might want to go and visit both universities again, but people do enjoy themselves as Oxford! At least I hope they do...

Well that was just my opinion to be honest, based on what people have told me about Oxford. I've heard lots of 'horror stories' about how strict it is and how huge the work load is.

Of course the stories I've heard were probably exaggerated, I was just trying to give an outside opinion as I know how difficult is is when you're stuck between unis :smile:
Oxford doesn't necessarily mean better prospects. My brother and his friend both got invited to interviews at Oxford. My brother was rejected, his friend got in (Despite my brother getting better A-Levels! We think it was a family background and money thing). My brother went to Warwick instead, studied the same subject as his friend & 4 years later came out with a Masters. My brother now has the better job & all his friend has is bragging rights. Which really, just piss most people off. I mean seriously, all he ever talks about is rowing or golf! Go with the Uni you are most comfortable with and do the best you can.
Reply 11
Thanks :smile: I've now kind of discounted sheffield but I'm still not completely sold on going to oxford - I'm now seriously considering manchester instead!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending