The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Can anyone help me with M1 May 11 Edexcel Question 3, it's really bugging me. The rest of the paper is fine, and usually inclined planes are quite easy, but this has confused me. I get that tan alpha is 3/4, so cos is 4/5 and sin is 3/5, but I can't seem to figure out how the force acting on the particle can be expressed in terms of perpendicular and parallel to the plane. Any help?
Original post by solittletime
What part are you having trouble with?

Part C - there's other papers with similar questions are they're confusing me like hell!
Any predictions of what is going to come up?
Reply 263
Original post by BaconFTW
I will be so sad if they ask one of those 'prove AC bisects AD', vector questions. I haven;t seen any past paper which includes a question like that, it's always i's and j's.

So if they did, how could you do this question?
Original post by JOR2010
Can anyone help me with M1 May 11 Edexcel Question 3, it's really bugging me. The rest of the paper is fine, and usually inclined planes are quite easy, but this has confused me. I get that tan alpha is 3/4, so cos is 4/5 and sin is 3/5, but I can't seem to figure out how the force acting on the particle can be expressed in terms of perpendicular and parallel to the plane. Any help?

Try doing the question by making up two expressions, not parallel and perpendicular to the plane, but instead do one with Wgcos90 and do the other with Pcos90.
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Part C - there's other papers with similar questions are they're confusing me like hell!

Here's my working.
Ive been doing some of the solomon past paper questions and have come across quite a few vector moments questions :/. Are these on the edexcel specification?
can anyone explain 6d from jan 2005 to me? I have no idea what the mark scheme has done and what I did doesn't even appear on there so I don't know how to answer the question :frown:
Reply 268
Does anyone have any m1 Solomons paper+ mark schemes I could have?
Reply 270
Original post by N0body
Does anyone have any m1 Solomons paper+ mark schemes I could have?

this link has all m1 solomon papers and mark schemes:http://www.gouthamrocks.page.tl/M1-PAPERS-%26-MARKSCHEMES.htm
Who will be posting up solutions post-exam?

Theres no sign of Arsey, from what i see.
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
can anyone explain 6d from jan 2005 to me? I have no idea what the mark scheme has done and what I did doesn't even appear on there so I don't know how to answer the question :frown:

Well, you've got the mass, the impulse and the initial speed. You can use this info to work out the speed after hitting the wall:

I = m(v-u)
2.4 = 0.1(v--14.83289)
Solve to get v = 9.17 (3sf)

Resistance is still 0.3N, so acceleration will still be -3 m/s^2.

Use v = u + at. "v" will be 0 because you're finding out what time it comes to rest at, and "u" will be the speed you found for the particle after hitting the wall (i.e. 9.17 m/s). Solve to find that t = 3.056 (3.06 to 3sf) seconds
Would really appreciate some clarification on this paper, q6b

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31784844/2005-Jan-QP-Edexcel-Mechanics-1-6677

In q6b, why are they using u as 20 and not 16? I thought to find the speed of C, we'd need to take the speed at B as u ?
Original post by Jasmine_777
Would really appreciate some clarification on this paper, q6b

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31784844/2005-Jan-QP-Edexcel-Mechanics-1-6677

In q6b, why are they using u as 20 and not 16? I thought to find the speed of C, we'd need to take the speed at B as u ?

The distance AC is 30m - not BC! I made the same mistake, picked it up when I was checking, though :smile:

So if A is the starting point, u will have to be 20 m/s.
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
The distance AC is 30m - not BC! I made the same mistake, picked it up when I was checking, though :smile:

So if A is the starting point, u will have to be 20 m/s.

ooooh, always make silly mistakes! Thanks for clearing that up! :biggrin:
Reply 276
Guys the best way to study for this exam is to be through with book..and do all the past papers form 2001-2012 it realli helps.. And as well as edxcel you could also try to do solomon papers.
Reply 277
Original post by Alexlol28
Try doing the question by making up two expressions, not parallel and perpendicular to the plane, but instead do one with Wgcos90 and do the other with Pcos90.

My mistake actually, didn't realise the tan of alpha also appeared between the horizontal force and the particle. DOH.
Reply 278
Original post by arnab
So if they did, how could you do this question?
Well, if you have the official textbook, just look near the beggining of the vectors chapter. The diagrams look something like this;

200px-Parallelogram1.svg.png

Anyway, the point is that I don't particularly understand how they work and I can't be bothered to try and understand them, given that they never seem to make the exam.
Original post by BaconFTW
Well, if you have the official textbook, just look near the beggining of the vectors chapter. The diagrams look something like this;

200px-Parallelogram1.svg.png

Anyway, the point is that I don't particularly understand how they work and I can't be bothered to try and understand them, given that they never seem to make the exam.

Well, why are you posting it then? :unsure:

Latest

Trending

Trending