The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For some reason im actually starting to like M1 !! Eventhough ive been getting Us' D's E's in my mini tests at school! These were months ago so hopefully ive improved! I just dont want any pulley questions!
Original post by nm786
can someone please help me on a past paper question?
here's the link: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20110518.pdf
it's question 7biii that i'm stuck with i've got p=i+j+t(2i-3j) and q=-2j+(3i+4j).
i don't know how to do question 7biii, can someone please help?

Vector PQ is Q - P So just minus both the vectors you got from previous answer!
Reply 142
Original post by Jack_Smith
For some reason im actually starting to like M1 !! Eventhough ive been getting Us' D's E's in my mini tests at school! These were months ago so hopefully ive improved! I just dont want any pulley questions!

pulley questions have been on every single m1 paper that i have done so far, so it will definitely come up in the exam

Vector PQ is Q - P So just minus both the vectors you got from previous answer!

i still don't understand, why do you have to do Q-P?
Reply 143
Does anyone know any good websites to use for revision?
Reply 144
Original post by N0body
Does anyone know any good websites to use for revision?

this is a very useful link: http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/M1/module.php
and do lots and lots of past papers.
Original post by nm786
pulley questions have been on every single m1 paper that i have done so far, so it will definitely come up in the exam

i still don't understand, why do you have to do Q-P?

You have to subrtract like any normal subtraction...So you would minus the vectors from eachother and in the end you would get a final vector!

This should be the answer you got:
p = (i + j) + t(2i 3j) M1 A1
q = (−2j) + t(3i + 4j) A1
PQ <<< to get this you have to do this>>>> q p
Your answer should be this >>>> (−i 3j) + t(i + 7j)
Hope you get it! It took me forever to understand vectors! So dw just do a couple of question review exercises are really helpful
Reply 146
Can some one help me with this question? I got part1 right but i dont get why they used suvat equation for part b lol

Can someone explain that to me please?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Original post by arnab
Can some one help me with this question? I got part1 right but i dont get why they used suvat equation for part b lol

In part b all your doing is finding the position vector of A after 3 seconds, they're using SUVAT to find the displacement after 3 seconds. Add this onto the initial position vector and you have the position vector when they collide.
Reply 148
Original post by NutterFrutter
In part b all your doing is finding the position vector of A after 3 seconds, they're using SUVAT to find the displacement after 3 seconds. Add this onto the initial position vector and you have the position vector when they collide.

hi, could you please help me?
here's the link: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP GCE Curriculum 2000/June 2011 - QP/6677_01_que_20110518.pdf
it's question 7biii that i'm stuck with i've got p=i+j+t(2i-3j) and q=-2j+(3i+4j).
i don't know how to do question 7biii?

please help..
Reply 149
Original post by NutterFrutter

i am still a a a bit confused. Can you tell me, Is position vector the distance a particle has travelled after a certain time or is it some thing else?

Thanks for helping me btw
Original post by nm786
hi, could you please help me?
here's the link: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP GCE Curriculum 2000/June 2011 - QP/6677_01_que_20110518.pdf
i don't know how to do question 7biii?

please help..

To find distances between position vectors. Take the smaller vector away from the larger vector. I've done this question before, so off the top of my head I think PQ = q - p
Try M4/M5... it's pretty nuckin' futs! :eek4:
I look back at M1 last year with fond, fond memories.

Good luck all the same!
Original post by Sarabande
To find distances between position vectors. Take the smaller vector away from the larger vector. I've done this question before, so off the top of my head I think PQ = q - p

This is a general rule, PQ=OQOP \displaystyle \vec{PQ}=\vec{OQ}-\vec{OP}

So any vector XY=OYOX \vec{XY}=\vec{OY}-\vec{OX}
Original post by arnab

In part 'b' we use suvat to find the displacement travelled in 3 seconds. Then we just need to add the initial displacement with the one found using suvat, to get the position vector.
Reply 154
Original post by Sarabande

what do you mean by this? i don't understand:frown:
Original post by nm786
what do you mean by this? i don't understand:frown:

Raheem explained it better. The distance vector is PQ. So do q-p for the distance between them.
So how is everybody finding M1 so far ?
Also, a major thank you to whoever it was that uploaded the Mechanics_1.rar with all of the past papers !
Original post by nm786
hi, could you please attach june 2011 question paper (exactly like these-without the lines and stuff) and the mark scheme too?
thank you :smile:

Sorry I only have the ones with lines taken out up to Jan '11 here is June 11 but its 24 pages, just open as pdf on computer and do on a sheet of lined paper (only takes about 1)? http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20110518.pdf

Here are some others I have too:
(edited 12 years ago)
You would have liked my exam (jan 2012) There weren't any pulley questions and there was only one force question ... although there were two vector questions which I wasn't too happy about.
Original post by Khallil
So how is everybody finding M1 so far ?
Also, a major thank you to whoever it was that uploaded the Mechanics_1.rar with all of the past papers !

No problem :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending