The Student Room Group

Have you ever changed or wanted to change your name?

Scroll to see replies

One of my middle names is ridiculously old-fashioned, doesn't go with the rest of my name at all and I dislike it to the extent that, beyond my parents and organisations that require my complete name, no one knows it. I did consider changing it, but it just seems like too much hassle and I'll still know about it.
The deed poll process is quite simple really, but informing all the relevant organisations of your name change e.g. the DVLA, getting your passport changed etc. is a faff.

I was going to change my last name to my mother's maiden name at one point after her divorce because I didn't want to be associated with my dad but decided it would be a bit complicated and when I get married it'll change anyway.
Yes. I hate mine. Bu on the other hand...I'm kind of fond of it now.
Reply 43
Original post by inadilemma
I am in the process of changing my surname to my mother's maiden name because I want to remove from my life every last trace of the disgusting excuse I have for a father. I haven't legally changed it yet but when people ask me my name (when not related to work or something official) I always give my mum's maiden name. I'm going to legally change it by deed poll this summer I hope. Not too sure how easy it is though.

Its very easy to actually do and then its just a case of keeping the paperwork and telling official people like the passport office, DVLA or your bank that you've done it in order to get your name changed on official things too.

:smile:
Original post by catoswyn
Its very easy to actually do and then its just a case of keeping the paperwork and telling official people like the passport office, DVLA or your bank that you've done it in order to get your name changed on official things too.

Well that's good to know - thanks :smile:
Reply 45
my first name is common as **** where i live, so I did want to change my first name for ages but I've grown to love it :smile:
the middle name seems rather a redundant name... i very rarely use mine... mostly because my mum when filling anything in never puts middle names on unless there is something specifically asking for it... i dont know how people with really long names cope with forms mine rarely fits :frown: and never on those which have a box per letter... ggrr soooo annoying! my address also doesnt fit on those forms either though so looks a right mess by the time im done!

if i was my gran id of changed my name... pamela erskin..... (which is why my mum avoided both of those when naming myself and my sister)
i cant say i know of anyone that has changed their name though
i quite like my name... i think mostly because i go by lottie instead of charlotte most of the time :biggrin: since i was 16 anyone new iv met iv been lottie, and my family have started calling me lottie too... yet i always write my name as charlotte when i sign anything... caused some confusion at college when the teacher walked round handing work back and went "charlotte... whose charlotte?" and everyone in the class looked confused :biggrin: *sigh* i miss my psych class....
If i get married i plan on keeping my surname or it would die out in my family line with my generation, problem with having only girls!
x
(im ill i seem to ramble when im ill ... sorry...)
Reply 47
YES, wish my name wasn't so 'serious' sounding, but changing isn't really an option, everyone knows me by this name, I know myself by this name and its been with me for 19 years :tongue:, so its kinda awkward to change it.
My name is David and my twin brother's Rory. I've always wanted his name.
Reply 49
Original post by inadilemma
Well that's good to know - thanks :smile:

I found a do your own law book in the library that told me what to type to declare I was changing my name and then I went to a local solicitor and asked him to witness me signing it. (I just popped in). He asked me to confirm I was abandoning my old name altogether and then we both signed the form. He could have charged me but he was nice and didn't bother seeing as I had already drawn everything up myself. Then I just took my signed declaration to the bank and so forth and have kept it in case I need proof I officially changed my name in future.

There are companies on line that draw up the paperwork for you if you prefer and then you get it witnessed but they do charge.

The most expensive route is getting a solicitor to do the whole thing.

Good luck

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
I wanted to change my first name last year because I'm named after my uncle and he threatened to batter me because his girlfriend told lies about me. He's not very nice and I hate the fact my parents named me after him. Despite this there were members of my family who would be upset if I changed it so I decided to leave it for the moment.
Plus, my name's Ian, and that's such an awful name.
Original post by MissBlueskys
You should read A Streetcar Named Desire :smile:

I have two middle names, my mother's and my grandma's first names. People used to make fun of my grandma's name Brenda which I found unbearable because I love it so much for reminding me of her.

My parents told me once they were thinking about calling me Phoebe which I think of liked more than my actual name but oh well. Would never change it.

Phoebe is my name :biggrin: I like it, never thought of changing it
I've been tempted, my first and second names rhyme.

I've always wondered if it was a little practical joke by my parents, surely they would have noticed?
Reply 53
For a long time I've wanted to add a couple of middle names in honour of some of my relatives. Never quite got around to it.
Reply 54
I hate the name Ruth however I rarely come across another one. I would hate to be called Emily as there is always at least one other person in class/work with that name (It's my middle name though :'( ) My second name is horrible, my mum should have gave me her maiden name
You can actually change your name for free.
Completely legally.

In the UK you can legally change your name for free. Places that make you pay are charging you for the service of creating the official documentation. When you pay them, you get a piece of paper, that's it. The paper in itself isn't really what makes the name change legal - you make it official, effectively, by using it. ie. when you change your name on your passport, driving license, etc.

You need to look up the exact wording that is to be used in the document, then you need witnesses to sign it. Print it on some nice quality paper - you can get parchment paper from Rymans for example. Then it's perfectly legal.
This is how I changed my name and so far I have had zero trouble getting the document accepted by anywhere, I also know a number of people who have changed their name this way.

Especially if you are only changing a middle name there is no reason to pay for it when you can get it for free. You can get the document made up and formatted for you automatically by going here or if that isn't working out for you let me know, I can paste out the wording for you to put it in a document yourself.
My name is Sheldon (Yes like the Big Bang Theory; Spongebob etc)

If i'm ever published i'll use my middle name as my first name: Kingsley

Kingsley Brackett sounds punchier than Sheldon Brackett
Reply 57
nah I like my name :tongue:
I like quite long, sophisticated and even slightly posh names. Considering my name consists of three one syllable names, I have often thought about changing it, but in the end I think I will just leave it. When searching for myself on the internet I haven't found anyone with the exact same name as me, which is nice. If I were to change my name, I would probably just change my first name to William from Liam, or something similar. Or perhaps an extra middle name, I wouldn't mind having two middle names.
Having a double barreled surname is a bit awkward at times; but the second part of it being 'Pleasant' is quite cool if I go into law, imagine;

'ahh we should be ok we've got Judge Pleasant'
'Don't be fooled by his name, he's one harsh b*****d!'

Quick Reply

Latest