The Student Room Group

IF you would like help with any math problems, feel free to post them

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
could you explain how to do this for me please?!

(2+1)log base 4 3x + log base 4 3x =1

I make the 1 a log of log base 4 4 and then i know i'm meant to turn it into a quadratic but don't know how!

Was also wondering if you could explain Increasing and Decreasing function to me if possinble? :smile:
Ty
Original post by raheem94
For question 1, remember cos(θ)=cos(θ) and sin(θ)=sin(θ) cos(\theta) = cos(-\theta) \text{ and } sin(-\theta)=-sin(\theta)

So cos(kθ) cos(k \theta) can be written as cos(kθ) cos(-k \theta) while sin(kθ) sin(-k \theta) can be written as sin(kθ) -sin(k \theta)

Thnx,

For the next one I just realized:

cosθp+isinθpq=(cosθp+isinθp)1q=cos(pqθ)+isin(pqθ)\sqrt[q]{\cos \theta p + i\sin \theta p} = (\cos \theta p + i\sin \theta p)^\frac{1}{q} = \cos (\frac{p}{q}\theta) + i\sin (\frac{p}{q}\theta)
Using De Movire's Theorem itself in the last part.
I just don't get linear interpolation when estimating the median and quartiles of grouped data. Can anyone help please?
Original post by TheHaylio
could you explain how to do this for me please?!

(2+1)log base 4 3x + log base 4 3x =1

I make the 1 a log of log base 4 4 and then i know i'm meant to turn it into a quadratic but don't know how!

Was also wondering if you could explain Increasing and Decreasing function to me if possinble? :smile:
Ty

I don't know why you didn't just write 3 instead of (2+1), but this is what I get, although I may well be wrong.

3log43x+log43x=13\log_4 3x + \log_4 3x = 1

Then, log49x3+log43x=1\log_4 9x^3 +\log_4 3x = 1

Thus, log427x4=1\log_4 27x^4 = 1

So, 27x4=427x^4 = 4

And finally, x=4274x = \sqrt[4]{\frac{4}{27}}

Just put that into the initial and didn't get one, so I am curious where I went wrong, any help ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by member910132

(cosθ+isinθ)p=cosθp+isinθp(\cos \theta + i\sin \theta)^p = \cos \theta p + i\sin \theta p

For the second question, see the below image.

Reply 85
I don't know why you didn't just write 3 instead of (2+1), but this is what I get, although I may well be wrong.

3log4(3x)log4(9x3) \displaystyle 3log_4(3x) \not= log_4(9x^3)

3log4(3x)=log4(3x)3=log4(27x3) \displaystyle 3log_4(3x) = log_4(3x)^3=log_4(27x^3)
3log4(3x)log4(9x3) \displaystyle 3log_4(3x) \not= log_4(9x^3)

3log4(3x)=log4(3x)3=log4(27x3) \displaystyle 3log_4(3x) = log_4(3x)^3=log_4(27x^3)

Thnx
Reply 87

Thus, log427x4=1\log_4 27x^4 = 1

So, 27x4=427x^4 = 4

And finally, x=4274x = \sqrt[4]{\frac{4}{27}}

Just put that into the initial and didn't get one, so I am curious where I went wrong, any help ?

JuHahaha. Thx for the reply! Just realsied it should have been (2x +1) not 2 + 1 cringe....
Original post by TheHaylio
JuHahaha. Thx for the reply! Just realsied it should have been (2x +1) not 2 + 1 cringe....

You might have already got this far but I eventually get stuck at:

(3x)x+1=2(3x)^{x+1}= 2

After this I don't think (to the best of my limited knowledge) you can use algebra to solve it.
Reply 89
You might have already got this far but I eventually get stuck at:

(3x)x+1=2(3x)^{x+1}= 2

After this I don't think (to the best of my limited knowledge) you can use algebra to solve it.

I also get the same. Probably, this can only be solved by using approximating techniques.
Original post by sulexk
IF you would like help with any math problems, feel free to post them

:smile:

Is this a serious thread? Or a joke one lol?

Testing OP to see if legit...

If y = cost, and x = cos2t, then we can deduce dy/dx = -1/4cost. Find d^2y/dx^2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by -Someone-Like-You-

If y = cost, and x = cos2t, then we can deduce dy/dx = =1/4cost. Find d^2y/dx^2.

dydx=14cost=14sect \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac1{4cost}=\frac14sect

Now just differentiate it again, remember, ddx(secx)=secxtanx\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(secx) = secxtanx

If y = cost, and x = cos2t, then we can deduce dy/dx = -1/4cost. Find d^2y/dx^2.

dydx=14cost=14sect \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac1{4cost}=\frac14sect

Now just differentiate it again, remember, ddx(secx)=secxtanx\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(secx) = secxtanx

dydx=14cost=sect4\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{4\cos t} = \frac{\sec t}{4}

We are now differentiating a function of t with respect to x and so we use the chain rule:

ddxsect4=ddtsect4×dtdx\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\sec t}{4} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\sec t}{4} \times \frac{dt}{dx}

secttant4×12sin2t\frac{\sec t \tan t}{4} \times \frac{-1}{2\sin 2t} Where 12sin2t\frac{-1}{2\sin 2t} is obtained from the first part of the question

Do some algebra and I get:

116cos3t\frac{-1}{16\cos^3 t}

Edit: Why is my latex smaller than everyone else's ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93

Edit: Why is my latex smaller than everyone else's ?
It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts :tongue:

But if size does matter to you, put /displaystyle in front of your latex to make it bigger/neater, which is often useful when latexing fractions.

12\frac{1}{2}

12\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}

The second one contains \displaystyle before \frac.
Reply 94

It started as serious, became a joke and now's gone back to serious (I think). The OP is never around to answer the questions though so I'm not really sure the point of the thread.
Reply 95
If you would like help with any maths problems, feel free to reply to this post
Reply 96
Original post by Jake22
If you would like help with any maths problems, feel free to reply to this post

And there you have it: InceptionThread just got one layer deeper...

Catception-iPad-Nyan-Cat-Inception.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest