The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

eurgh way to ruin my evening.. at first i laughed, but now i can feel the sad/disappointed heavy feeling starting :frown:
Reply 1381
Original post by sarahyasmine-
eurgh way to ruin my evening.. at first i laughed, but now i can feel the sad/disappointed heavy feeling starting :frown:

Your stats are AMAZING
I honestly don't understand what part of your academic performance is lacking.

I just don't even

Whaaaat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1382

Sorry to hear that. :frown: Perhaps it may have been the 2 B's at AS that had an affect? Did you study both biology and chemistry to A2? What were your B's at AS in? These all may have played a role especially if they were 'real' subjects.
just got my rejection without interview!
i'm a gap year applicant with 3 A*s at A level, 1 A at AS level, 11 A*s at GCSE and a bmat of 5.9, 6.2, 4A!!!
i also had to give them my AS grades which were 3As and 2Bs.
the reason they gave was academic performance :frown: certainly wasn't expecting that...
do you think i should bother calling? it just feels like such a waste of an application now.. i'm starting to get worried i'll end up having to take two years off!! any advice?

wow, i would think your academic performance is good and i definitely did not think you could be rejected on that basis.. what were your B's at AS in if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 1384
Original post by Revent
Sorry to hear that. :frown: Perhaps it may have been the 2 B's at AS that had an affect? Did you study both biology and chemistry to A2? What were your B's at AS in? These all may have played a role especially if they were 'real' subjects.

Surely they wouldn't be that mean!!
Oh UCL !
Come on use that holistic approach!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Original post by sebi
Surely they wouldn't be that mean!!
Oh UCL !
Come on use that holistic approach!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly don't know. My application is nowhere near as strong so it is worrying. Maybe it was not academic reasons and them writing that is just a generic response?
Original post by Revent

yes my A2's are biology, chemistry and, maths!
Hey guys!

This has probably been asked earlier but whatever... Has anybody had an interviev at UCL yet? From what I understand the call most applicants in january but I've already had interviews at Oxford and Glasgow. :s
Reply 1388
Original post by Revent
I honestly don't know. My application is nowhere near as strong so it is worrying. Maybe it was not academic reasons and them writing that is just a generic response?

I just can't fathom how three a*s and killer bmat isn't classified as good academic performance

Hmm perhaps, they could just be using that as a generic reason

OP- I'd defo email/call asking for clarification , it's worth a try. ThAts what I'd do anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile
they were in biology and chemistry, so i understand that isn't great, but surely considering i pushed them up to A*s at A Level, it shouldn't be an issue.
Considering my BMAT, it must have been those 2B's that let me down. Despite the fact they no longer exist! I remember them saying at the open day that they like to see an upwards curve in academic performance, evidently this was just talk.

i agree, i would think that they would consider your application as a whole, surely your A*s indicate your capability to achieve the highest grades in both of those subjects. but i do also think it must be down to the 2 Bs :frown: what was your AS subject combination? just trying to see if contrasting subjects plays a role here too
Reply 1390
they were in biology and chemistry, so i understand that isn't great, but surely considering i pushed them up to A*s at A Level, it shouldn't be an issue.
Considering my BMAT, it must have been those 2B's that let me down. Despite the fact they no longer exist! I remember them saying at the open day that they like to see an upwards curve in academic performance, evidently this was just talk.

Is it possible to get B at AS and still get A*?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by smiles123123
i agree, i would think that they would consider your application as a whole, surely your A*s indicate your capability to achieve the highest grades in both of those subjects. but i do also think it must be down to the 2 Bs :frown: what was your AS subject combination? just trying to see if contrasting subjects plays a role here too

my AS subjects were chemistry, biology, english literature, maths and, further maths! :smile:
Original post by itsaboy
Is it possible to get B at AS and still get as A*?

yes! they were a few UMS from A's. the criteria for an A* is an A* in the year 13 modules, and an overall (year 12 and 13) score of an A.
my AS subjects were chemistry, biology, english literature, maths and, further maths! :smile:

so you had a contrasting subject so you would have got the 'slight preference' they claim they give too..i do agree with other people on this forum, it must be a generic reason they send
Reply 1394
yes! they were a few UMS from A's. the criteria for an A* is an A* in the year 13 modules, and an overall (year 12 and 13) score of an A.

You should have had an interview just based on your bmat. Good luck with your other applications.
so you had a contrasting subject so you would have got the 'slight preference' they claim they give too..i do agree with other people on this forum, it must be a generic reason they send

i don't think it is though, because it said this:

Unsuccessful
We regret to have to inform you that your application to this programme of study has been unsuccessful. The Department has provided the following feedback:
Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your academic profile was judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants.
UCL appreciates the time and effort that you have invested in your application and hopes that you will be successful in gaining a place elsewhere.

so that makes it seem like they copy and pasted the appropriate generic feedback, as though they had several different options depending on the reason..

Unsuccessful
We regret to have to inform you that your application to this programme of study has been unsuccessful. The Department has provided the following feedback:
Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your academic profile was judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants.
UCL appreciates the time and effort that you have invested in your application and hopes that you will be successful in gaining a place elsewhere.

so that makes it seem like they copy and pasted the appropriate generic feedback, as though they had several different options depending on the reason..

oh okay, it must be divided into academic-based rejections and bmat-based rejections among other possible things..when did you get asked for your AS results? or were they on your application form to begin with?

Unsuccessful

I'd hate to see the academic profiles of these "other applicants" who are apparently stronger than you then! :s-smilie: Sorry to hear about your rejection.. looking at your stats, it seems pretty unfair. Good luck with your other choices.
oh okay, it must be divided into academic-based rejections and bmat-based rejections among other possible things..when did you get asked for your AS results? or were they on your application form to begin with?

i got an email near the end of november asking for them, so i sent them my previous AS certificates..
Original post by j.t-Jack
Are you a gap year applicant as well and any news else where?

No I wanted to be to be honest lol but I've been rejected from Cambridge and have an interview from Manchester you?

Latest

Trending

Trending